This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Price Gouging - Fair and balanced, or unfair

im against this law - its the free market at use. the only way to make sure there is enough room for everybody who is willing to pay for it is to charge more, that way people whose homes were most destroyed will get rooms, and those with only slightly damaged homes will not.
    "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Well part of the complaint is fraud. Lying to customers, even those who HAD reservations at lower prices in order to get them to pay more.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

yes, and thats a breach of contract for those who had reservations at lower prices, but its no price gouging - and of course lying is also fraud. but its not price gouging.
      "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

I'm not a 100% free market guy. But I do believe in capitalism (with regulations)

I'm against price gouging. But I would prefer the matter be settled by the public vs. the gouger in public courts. I don't like seeing the goverment involved in any other way. The goverment should be kept small dammit! Of course no one else agrees with me on this.

Comment

i agree the govt must be kept small.

Comment

Who cares about the consumers anyways?
            meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

i do - unless they complain about dumb things.

Comment

I'm for laws preventing price gouging in declared emergencies like hurricanes and such.

Comment

but thats the thing, its not price gouging - theres a high demand for rooms after said storm, and supply has decreased, so that means higher prices so that the people who really need the rooms can get them. are people here against the free market which has made america the worlds largest economy over the last 50 years?

Comment

Re: Price Gouging - Fair and balanced, or unfair

Originally posted by Lawrence of Arabia

im against this law - its the free market at use. the only way to make sure there is enough room for everybody who is willing to pay for it is to charge more, that way people whose homes were most destroyed will get rooms, and those with only slightly damaged homes will not.
                    Aaah, so people's capacity to pay is based on the extent of their home damage? All this time, I thought it related to net income.

And you're right - this is the perfect demonstration of why the liberterarium has no place in the real world. ****ing people over when a hurricane hits.
                    When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Lawrence, I have news for you

The world will not collapse into anarchy if hotel owners are prevented from charging poor displaced people double during emergencies
                      meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

Originally posted by Lawrence of Arabia
                        are people here against the free market which has made america the worlds largest economy over the last 50 years?
                        You should catch up on your liberterrarium reading. According to the LP, the market isn't free. But yes, I agree we should keep the same regulated market system we have now.
                        When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Re: Re: Price Gouging - Fair and balanced, or unfair

Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat
                          Aaah, so people's capacity to pay is based on the extent of their home damage? All this time, I thought it related to net income.

And you're right - this is the perfect demonstration of why the liberterarium has no place in the real world. ****ing people over when a hurricane hits.
                          Prices aren't fair in the free market. If you want fair you're advocating the wrong economic system.
                          I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                          - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat

You should catch up on your liberterrarium reading. According to the LP, the market isn't free. But yes, I agree we should keep the same regulated market system we have now.
                            You're losing this one to LoA. Capitalism is dependent on price gouging. That's the driving force behind the allocation of resources.
                            I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                            - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Capitalism is dependent on price gouging.
                              The man has a point there.
                              Only feebs vote.

Comment

Working...
                              X