No announcement yet.

Is ambition a virtue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speer...that is a woefully inaccurate assessment of the principle of utility
    "Mal nommer les choses, c'est accroître le malheur du monde" - Camus (thanks Davout)

"I thought you must be dead ..." he said simply. "So did I for a while," said Ford, "and then I decided I was a lemon for a couple of weeks. A kept myself amused all that time jumping in and out of a gin and tonic."

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi
      Can you name the inventors of these?

Ben Franklin, Karl Benz, and John Crapper
      Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

kaak:

Bentham's Hedonic calculus only applies to the parties involved. if that is a woefully inaccurate assessment of the principle of utility, you should take it up with Dr. Bentham's mummy.
        "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
        "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

utility by definition can't be applied to one person, or even a small group of people.
          "Mal nommer les choses, c'est accroître le malheur du monde" - Camus (thanks Davout)

"I thought you must be dead ..." he said simply. "So did I for a while," said Ford, "and then I decided I was a lemon for a couple of weeks. A kept myself amused all that time jumping in and out of a gin and tonic."

Comment

St. Leo:

Karl Benz
            Gottlieb Daimler and Wilhelm Maybach could also lay a legit claim on inventing the internal combustion engine automobile.
            "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

what if your ambition isnt for money and posessions?
              "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
              'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Kaak:

if we're talking about Mill, this could be different but Bentham made it clear only those parties involved were of consequence. A man named Fazid in Pakistan is not effected by any decision I make so his happiness is not of concern in any hedonic calculus table.

Comment

MRT:

what if your ambition isnt for money and posessions?
                  why does this change anything? besides material wealth (which itself varies... ancient mediterrenean societies often measured wealth in cattle, for example), power (which can be as clear as military power to as abstract as popularity), honor, and offspring are the most common highest values in societies.

but once again, what is this whole ambition is a trait some people have thing? I dont get this. It is tantamount to declaring that communism will work.

Comment

albert, what if your ambition in life is to paint pretty pictures?
                    "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                    'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

like i said... there are a 6 billion high values in the world right now. Material wealth, power, honour, and offspring have just been the most common.

each individual possesses an intrinsic will to power (read ambition). He will strive to achieve whatever he wishes to achieve. EVERY organism on the planet has this ambition or else it simply does not live.

this is really bothering me how i cant get my mind around what the hell yall are talking about. How can some people not have ambition? Yes, in colloquial speech, you say a lazy person has no ambition or even someone who values something stupid has no ambition, yet this is a philosophical debate concerning absolute values (virtue) so this colloquialism is irrelevent. ambition is instrinsic to all life.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaak
                        Too tired to be arsed to read the all the posts, but no, ambition isn't a virtue for a couple of reasons.

1. virtues are wholly good in and of themselves, ambition is not.

2. virtues work in accordance with making you a better person or performing virtuous acts. Having a better job or a bigger house neither makes you a virtuous person, or could be considered as virtuous acts.

ambition just doesn't lend itself to virtue.
                        Well said.
                        We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Albert Speer
                          and what organism on the planet does not have ambition?
                          Only humans have ambition.
                          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

any life which lacks ambition (in a loose definition as a plant's ambition is different from a man's) is not living.
                            Ambition is not the only driving force there is.

Curiosity, anger, and a number of other emotions and mental states can drive a person.
                            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

single-celled organisms eat and excrete wastes. why would they do such things if they didnt possess the instinctual intention to survive?
                              Ambition is not a survival instinct. Ambition is a driving urge to achieve a goal or objective (no, staying alive is not one).

Comment

yes staying alive is one... what is survival but a goal, the first and most immediate goal?

Curiosity, anger, and a number of other emotions and mental states can drive a person.
                                Curiosity... ambition to obtain knowledge. Anger... an ambition to rectify a percieved wrong or to impose your own will...

Comment

Working...
                                X