Star Trek Economy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Star Trek Economy

I was chatting in the office (as you do) about economics, and was wondering what would happen if tomorrow, everybody agreed that they would work for free, and would freely offer whatever service they supply.

My company British Airways would probably find like all airlines, that they were fully booked (for free of course), and would have to get loads more planes to cope with the demand.. but would there be enough planes ? would people just stop working all together, and the entire economy would ground to a halt very quickly ?? or after a few months of getting up at 12 and doing nothing all day, would people return to work (or find work they actually enjoyed).

What then of services like waste disposal, sewage treatment .. I find it hard to believe anybody would actually want to work for the joy of it in this industry ?? or would they ??

In the end, I think I came to the conclusion, that people would just start reverting to old habits, and start bartering .. illegal stuff like drugs would still have a value !

So if we are not ready for such an economic model .. will we ever be ?? will there be a level of technological progress which would allow this system ?? or is it as likey as most of the other stuff in Star Trek like teleportation, warp drive and of course time travel .... plain impossible.
    "Wherever wood floats, you will find the British" . Napoleon

Star-trek stuff will happen when manufacturing of everything quickly doesn't require an assembly line, and is generally very cheap. Also, energy is very cheap.
    urgh.NSFW

Comment

But what about sewage systems ? people will still need to clean the toilets ?? or are we saying we would have to reach a level of technology which means all meanial tasks are delt with automatically ?
      "Wherever wood floats, you will find the British" . Napoleon

Comment

Re: Star Trek Economy

Originally posted by The Viceroy
        My company British Airways would probably find like all airlines, that they were fully booked (for free of course), and would have to get loads more planes to cope with the demand..
        Why would they buy more planes? Are you saying that we decide to produce infinite goods and services even though we know that we don't have the technology to do so?
        I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
        - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

But what about sewage systems ? people will still need to clean the toilets ?? or are we saying we would have to reach a level of technology which means all meanial tasks are delt with automatically ?

Yeah, pretty much. It's not as far as you think it is, though.
          urgh.NSFW

Comment

Even if you didn't ration by price, you would have to ration by some other means. For instance, the commies try to ration by force.

Even when everybody is showered with material and service goods through automation, we will have to work some to pay the bills. Otherwise, the system wouldn't work. We wouldn't be able to decide who gets particular goods and who doesn't, or indeed which products should be provided.

Over the last century, the free industrialized world has decreased its working days in a week by about 1.5. Sometime in the future, we will move to shorter work weeks, with it taking an increasingly long time to remove each day (i.e., moving from 6 days to 5 days is a 17% reduction, but 5 days to 4 days is a 25% reduction, and so on).
            I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Even when everybody is showered with material and service goods through automation, we will have to work some to pay the bills. Otherwise, the system wouldn't work. We wouldn't be able to decide who gets the particular goods and who doesn't in a self-sustaining manner.

"to pay the bills"?

What bills? With plentiful energy, there is no need for bills.
              urgh.NSFW

Comment

You would still have to ration, because it's not an unlimited resource. As the energy becomes more plentiful, it will become cheaper, of course. And when things become cheaper, you have to work less to pay the bills, etc.
                I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

The replicator (which probably separated the waste) made Star Trek's economy stable enough to fashion all the other industries. Most needs and wants on a personal level were taken care of. Thus, what is left?

Transportation - bigger, better, faster is a human desire
                  Geology, Mining - the thrill of discovery
                  Artisans - self graditude
                  Medicine - no level of technology will take the place of the need for health
                  Monkey!!!

Comment

Ok, so I'll ration. what's your point? Rationing is only bad when it is a genuine limit on consumption. You can only eat that much and have that many electric appliances in your house.
                    urgh.NSFW

Comment

I don't think there's any limit from human nature on how many electric appliances in your house. Just look at the **** in Americans' homes.

Remember, in your system, the appliances would be free as well.

Comment

I don't think there's any limit from human nature on how many electric appliances in your house. Remember, in your system, the appliances would be free as well.

So? And yes, I think there is definetly a limit. It's huge, but that doesn't mean that it's infinite.
                        urgh.NSFW

Comment

Well, eventually, you would have to ration the space on planet Earth in ever more draconian fashion. As it is now, you're giving out land for free (how that works, I'm not quite sure, but...).

Comment

Or ration the total of humans on earth.
                            Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                            Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Well, eventually, you would have to ration the space on planet Earth

We already do that, by severly limiting construction rights.
                              urgh.NSFW

Comment

Working...
                              X