Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

English! English! When did America stop speaking English?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You know, considering we require the rest of the world to speak American, I guess it's not too much to ask that immigrants speak it also.
    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

• Ted, That's right. And by association you do that to us too! I don't see no 'come to visit me and marry my sister you good man' messages from you! I figure the money I've spent on the US is AT LEAST worth a roundtrip plane tickets, a fine hotel for the week AND some pocket money. I don't see any invitations in my post. And I'm still fighting for capitalism in here, despite the fact that you think I'm a criminal bastard. I still do that. I just spent my savings to come there, buy stuff and have a good time. I figure I should have gotten at least 5 free lapdances for that..... and guess what? Didn't happen.

I send money INTO your country, and I'm not taking it back. I HELP your economy with my share. You don't help me. Yet, I'm the bad guy? I like your country so much, that I would love to move there. But your government doesn't want that. I'm a crook, I'm a bad guy. I already speak your language and visited many places that even your own countrymen haven't. Yet I'm the bad guy. Don't get me wrong, Indians and Mexicans are the bad guys too, but at least you give them something in return. Where's my return? That's right, there's no return. The hand is reaching but it's never giving back or even saying thank you. Never. And still I'm loyal. I'm like the hero dog who got shot defending its master, and the master thought the dog died and left him in the desert, in the hands of tigers and pumas, but the dog wasn't dead.. he was sad that his master left him like that.. he would have offered his body, so the master could have eaten himself from that, but the master didn't want that. Then, after a week, the dog got some strength back, and walked 6000 miles to the masters house, and got shot by his own master in the dark because 'that bastard's been eating my flowers all summer!' *BOOM*.
      And I'm the dog, and the US is the master. And then bunch of kids come to play with my dead body and throw it in the river. Where's the justice, where is the conscious of the US? Bring your hungry, bring your poor.. **** I'm poor! Can I come? I don't think so!

Face it, you don't want me there because you are a racist country. You hate me because of my race and nationality. You don't even want to give me the minimum wage jobs, because the minority organisations would get mad, and I don't got no organisation behind me. Where's the affirmitive action to save Finns? There is no action for that. So this I say to you, we got it the worst in the US, and unless we get some laws around there, it will never change.

US
      US policies against Finns
      In da butt.
      "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
      THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
      "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

• Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: English! English! When did America stop speaking English?

Originally posted by Joseph
        We did not steal it, we just shot the shlt out of them and took it.
        So what you're saying is, we stole it from them.
        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

• Originally posted by chegitz guevara
          You know, considering we require the rest of the world to speak American, I guess it's not too much to ask that immigrants speak it also.

In 1898 the German statesman Otto von Bismarck was asked what he believed was the most decisive fact of modern history.

He replied, "The fact that the North Americans speak English."

The United States has 70 per cent of all English mother tongue speakers in the world (this figure also includes slave dialects on the east coast, and Creoles).

No other language has spread around the globe as extensively, or as quickly as English- and the medium we are using to communicate further facilitates this penetration.

Which is not to say that there is any natural or Darwinian lesson to be learned from this- commerical and cultural and military factors all contributed or combined to bring this state of affairs about.
          Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

• So what you're saying is, we stole it from them.

Only if every single country which has every existed is considered to have 'stolen' land from some other group.

--

Tia

English may not be the de jure official language, but it definetly is the de facto official language. People in services should learn to speak English in this country. Prior generations did.
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: English! English! When did America stop speaking English?

Originally posted by Joseph
              We did not steal it, we just shot the shlt out of them and took it.
              Golfing since 67

Comment

• Re: English! English! When did America stop speaking English?

Originally posted by Tiamat
                I go through McDonalds and literally have to give my order to the person 5 times and finally I have to revert to speaking spanish

Two days later I'm at the Diamond Shamrock (gas station) ... of them can decipher English becuase they are all from Napal.
                It's called capitalism. They can do what they want do and if you don't like it then too bad. Don't eat there, don't buy gas from them. Simple.

No one's forcing you to do anything.

Besides, when Americans learn to speak English properly then you can complain about non-English speaking immigrants.
                Golfing since 67

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                  So what you're saying is, we stole it from them.

Only if every single country which has every existed is considered to have 'stolen' land from some other group.
                  Only if the land was occupied by another group at the time.
                  (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                  (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                  (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

• Forget the law. Just complain to the consumers' association to encourage businesses to have decent customer service.

The law can't do anything about language requirements and jobs, EXCEPT for immigration.
                    Arise ye starvelings from your slumbers; arise ye prisoners of want
                    The reason for revolt now thunders; and at last ends the age of "can't"
                    Away with all your superstitions -servile masses, arise, arise!
                    We'll change forthwith the old conditions And spurn the dust to win the prize

Comment

People in services should learn to speak English in this country. Prior generations did.
                      What percentage, and how well?

More to the point, which occupations?
                      Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

• Only if the land was occupied by another group at the time.

Which means... everyone! Except small tribal villages lost to the world.

What percentage, and how well?

More to the point, which occupations?

Who knows and who cares? The kids of those generations know how to speak English, which goes to show that the parents stressed learning the language and instilled those values in their children. Their children are the proof of their efforts.
                        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• There's a difference between "should", "can" and "will".

Everyone should go to university.

Not everyone can.

Not everyone will.
                          Arise ye starvelings from your slumbers; arise ye prisoners of want
                          The reason for revolt now thunders; and at last ends the age of "can't"
                          Away with all your superstitions -servile masses, arise, arise!
                          We'll change forthwith the old conditions And spurn the dust to win the prize

Comment

• i still suspect imran is using a pakistani to english translator
                            "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                            'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

• Comment

Only if the land was occupied by another group at the time.

Which means... everyone! Except small tribal villages lost to the world.
                                You are going to have a hard time establishing that, Imran.
                                (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                                (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                                (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Working...
                                X