No announcement yet.

Shields Up!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New weapons never make the world safer. Look what happened when the first nuclear bomb was built.
    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

• No more world wars...

Comment

• Originally posted by Kuciwalker
        No more world wars...
        Perhaps nuclear weapons have prevented world war (not war). If these weapons work it will destablize that condition.
        I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
        - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

• Originally posted by Dissident
          They have to know the U.S. would never strike first.
          That is entirely uncertain.

When the MAD doctrine is effective, it makes sure any country that strikes first will not escape unscathed. However, it seems that the US has been trying to change this balance of terror ever since Reagan's Star Wars plans.
          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

• Exactly! As far as those people are concerned, there is no telling what the US might do if they think they can get away with it.

You have to keep in mind that the US is already notorious for its "pre-emptive strike" policy...

Basically, as far as the rest of the world is concerned, we don't know anything.
            The US can pretty much do whatever the f@?! it feels like and has been known to take advantage of that little fact on more than a few occasions...
            Last edited by Guardian; July 28, 2004, 05:15.
            "Politics is to say you are going to do one thing while you're actually planning to do someting else - and then you do neither."
            -- Saddam Hussein

Comment

• Originally posted by Kuciwalker
              No more world wars...
              Because the US and Soviet Union were the only superpowers left. Nuclear deterence might have staved off all out war between the US and Russia, but it certainly didn't stop localized conflicts.

The US killed over 3 million people in Southeast Asia in the Vietnam War. And look at the Middle East, or India versus Pakista, how about the Persian Gulf? Or the violence in Africa? There's been just as much war going on in the nuclear age as there was before. It's just blind luck that the leaders of the US and SU (interesting, the abbreviations) allowed cooler heads to prevail during the Cold War.
              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                Oh, and by the by, any ICBM launched against the US from anywhere east of the Azores would be sent eastward around the globe to take advantage of rotation of the earth.
                That is an interesting piece of information, but it seems counter-intuitive to me. What advantage could a missile gain from planet rotation? If anything, wouldn't it make more sense to send the missile West, as the Earth's rotation would then put the target (a little) closer?

Comment

• It's to do with helping the rocket achieve escape velocity. see here:

Thousands of satellites fly overhead every day, helping us with things like weather forecasts, scientific research, communications, TV broadcasts (and maybe some surreptitious spying). How much do you know about these eyes in the sky?

That's also why rockets are launched from as close to the equator as possible.
                  Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                  Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                  We've got both kinds

Comment

• Oh, that explains it. Now I see why the ESA chooses to launch from French Guyana. Thanks MikeH.

Comment

Working...
                    X