I, Robot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
    Watching I, Robot is not in my self-interest. It will cost me money and annoy me. If I chose to do it anyway, however, Kuciwalker would declare that I have acted in my self-interest, because I chose to watch the movie.

Um... DUH! If you CHOSE to watch the movie, it was most definetly in your self interest to do so, or else you would not have.
    Not necessarily. People chose to do things that are not in their self-interest (perceived and real) all the time.
    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

• I was thinking about going to see this film - is it any good?

Comment

• Originally posted by chegitz guevara
        Not necessarily. People chose to do things that are not in their self-interest (perceived and real) all the time.
        Such as?

Comment

• Originally posted by Kuciwalker

I see no other non-arbitrary definition of self-interest.
          I can think of a few.

All pretty much hinge on various defintions of "non-arbitrary", tho. I mean, for a very sensible one, all definitions are arbitrary.
          Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
          The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

• I saw the film last night. While not Oscar-worthy (except for special effects), I found it to be wholly watchable. Not only did it have the requisite summer blockbuster action, it maintained a level of philosphy that was akin to the first Matrix. Will Smith and the guy who does Sonny's voice and movements were great, and the plot and characters both had sufficient development.

I have never read Asimov's works, so I was able to take in this movie without bias. I give it 3 1/2 stars.
            "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
            ^ The Poly equivalent of:
            "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

Such as?

Despite hating the idea of pets I look after a dog, because she is unable to look after herself and would otherwise she would be neglected. (as she has previously been)

I'm a vegetarian not for my own benefit, but for that of other animal's, and the environment.

I could go on...
              Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

• You are a vegitarian because you are happier (or think you are happier) as a vegetarian, than not as one. You would be unhappy not helping that dog. Thus, it's not un-self-interested.

I can think of a few.

Such as?

Comment

You are a vegitarian because you are happier (or think you are happier) as a vegetarian, than not as one. You would be unhappy not helping that dog. Thus, it's not un-self-interested.
                  Yes, I would be unhappy because I don't like to see other beings suffer. How horribly selfish of me.

Do It Ourselves

Comment

• People chose to do things that are not in their self-interest (perceived and real) all the time.

If you CHOOSE to see the movie, you are doing it because it is in your self-interest to. You want to for some reason. To argue otherwise is to be totally idiotic.

es, I would be unhappy because I don't like to see other beings suffer. How horribly selfish of me.

You prove his point. You are a vegetarian because you'd be unhappy eating animals. It is in your self-interest thus not to eat them.
                    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

You prove his point. You are a vegetarian because you'd be unhappy eating animals. It is in your self-interest thus not to eat them.
                      You can't use happiness as a motivation behind everything without looking at the reasons behind the happiness itself.

Happiness can be derived from things that aren't a matter of your own self interest.

Do It Ourselves

Comment

• You can't use happiness as a motivation behind everything without looking at the reasons behind the happiness itself.

Happiness can be derived from things that aren't a matter of your own self interest.

But obviously it IS a matter of self-interest because everyone wants to be happier, whether in the short term or long term. Only those who are irrational do not want to be happy.

You may fool yourself by saying I'm actually doing this in the interest of someone else, but you are doing it because it makes you feel good and believe you should.
                        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

You can't use happiness as a motivation behind everything without looking at the reasons behind the happiness itself.

But obviously it IS a matter of self-interest because everyone wants to be happier, whether in the short term or long term. Only those who are irrational do not want to be happy.

You may fool yourself by saying I'm actually doing this in the interest of someone else, but you are doing it because it makes you feel good and believe you should.
                          But in this case what makes me happy isn't in my self-interest in the first place. So if that is the case, and I am doing it to be happy, I am by proxy doing it for reasons other than my own self interest.

Do It Ourselves

Comment

• But in this case what makes me happy isn't in my self-interest in the first place.

Yes it is. Being happy is your self-interest. Anything that acts towards that end is therefore in your self-interest.

Comment

• what makes me happy isn't in my self-interest in the first place.

But you know it makes you happy and being happy is in your self interest. So you are doing it in your self-interest (ie, to be happy). Like I said no rational person want to be unhappy.

Comment

But in this case what makes me happy isn't in my self-interest in the first place.

Yes it is. Being happy is your self-interest.
                                You're still not looking at the cause of the happiness itself

If happiness is derived through something that is not in your own self interest, how can that happiness be selfish?

Or are you telling me that I am selfish because I don't like to see other beings suffer? How completely absurd!

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Working...
                                X