Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NLRB: Grad students in private universities lose the right to unionize!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ted Striker

So basically the Univeristy is PAYING the students to go there!!!
    Pretty much, they only pay what the tuition was a few years ago... like 2,000 per year, plus a really good salary.

Comment

• Originally posted by KrazyHorse

Funny, does she punch a clock? You're comparing hourly rates to piecework rates. Apples to oranges my son.

By the way, I was a poor undergraduate too at one time. So at least I know both sides of the coin. All this *****ing and moaning is coming from people who have never been a grad student. You should be thankful to them, because without them your classes would grind to a halt, as you see when they go on strike. In actuality a grad student TA puts more work into a class than a professor does.

Like I said, primadonnas.

Cahn I shineah yo shoesz suh???
      We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Funny, does she punch a clock? You're comparing hourly rates to piecework rates. Apples to oranges my son.

By the way, I was a poor undergraduate too at one time. So at least I know both sides of the coin. All this *****ing and moaning is coming from people who have never been a grad student. You should be thankful to them, because without them your classes would grind to a halt, as you see when they go on strike. In actuality a grad student TA puts more work into a class than a professor does.
        She does punch a clock actually, and she's doing exactly what graduate TA's do, she got the job as an undergrad as an exception.

And thats the thing, it makes no difference, besides the Union and the strikers making a nuissance. All of my Profs refused to stop teaching and just graded the papers themselves. I noticed no difference.

Comment

So basically the Univeristy is PAYING the students to go there!!!
          No, it's paying them to TA and RA. Grad students are the grease that keeps a university running. Without us the classes would go ungraded and the labs would go unstaffed. We've all got undergraduate degrees or greater. We work harder than professors do in teaching, in addition to doing our own research which aids the university's academic standing. We're paid 1/4 or less of what a professor is paid, yet I could easily teach the material that I TA (I'm pretty sure I have a better understanding of it than the prof I TA for does). So bull****. Universities prey on the fact that we're willing to put up with some temporary bull****. Doesn't make it fair.
          12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Killing it is the new killing it
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Originally posted by JimmyCracksCorn

She does punch a clock actually, and she's doing exactly what graduate TA's do, she got the job as an undergrad as an exception.

And thats the thing, it makes no difference, besides the Union and the strikers making a nuissance. All of my Profs refused to stop teaching and just graded the papers themselves. I noticed no difference.
            At our university the TA's were forbidden to teach class.

The profs only got TA's when they were teaching the large required intro classes that had like 200 people in them.
            We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Come on Krazy, in what other universe besides a university campus can you get paid $30 an hour to sit in a professors office and study for YOUR exams?

Comment

Like I said, primadonnas.

Cahn I shineah yo shoesz suh???
                Snooze. Primadonnas my ass. I'm a highly skilled employee is all.
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

At our university the TA's were forbidden to teach class.

The profs only got TA's when they were teaching the large required intro classes that had like 200 people in them.
                  Mine too, they can only sit over discussion groups.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimmyCracksCorn
                    Come on Krazy, in what other universe besides a university campus can you get paid $30 an hour to sit in a professors office and study for YOUR exams?
                    In which job other than a professor's can you get paid 70 000 a year to work ~7 hours a week and spend the rest of the time doing YOUR research?
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

No, it's paying them to TA and RA. Grad students are the grease that keeps a university running. Without us the classes would go ungraded and the labs would go unstaffed. We've all got undergraduate degrees or greater. We work harder than professors do in teaching, in addition to doing our own research which aids the university's academic standing. We're paid 1/4 or less of what a professor is paid, yet I could easily teach the material that I TA (I'm pretty sure I have a better understanding of it than the prof I TA for does). So bull****. Universities prey on the fact that we're willing to put up with some temporary bull****. Doesn't make it fair.
                      Life isn't fair.

So....when you guys aren't in the professional academic world, do you take this kinda of attitude with you to the job also?

Comment

Snooze. Primadonnas my ass. I'm a highly skilled employee is all.

If you say so Quarterback.

Comment

• "Life isn't fair"

Great argument, Ted.

You really should stick to telling us who you'd hit it with.
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

In which job other than a professor's can you get paid 70 000 a year to work ~7 hours a week and spend the rest of the time doing YOUR research?
                            This is true, but at least Profs aren't students... they aren't trying to earn a degree (maybe some a PhD). Being a prof is a real job, Profs are paid alot because they are expected to be at the University for a long time, while TAs are assumed to be temporary, or only as long as it takes them to graduate (as in a coulpe years).

Comment

• "I'm a victim! [I'm spoiled.] "

Great argument, Krazyhorse.

You should really stick to telling us how great you are.

Comment

• Originally posted by DinoDoc
                                I know what I paid for and it wasn't substandard instruction by other students.
                                Parts of my reply are missing from your quote.
                                (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                                (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                                (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Working...
                                X