Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NLRB: Grad students in private universities lose the right to unionize!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by KrazyHorse

BS. You have any figures to back this up or are you talking out of your ass?
    I can try to find them, but it was common knowledge at my school, they go on strike so often these things have become known.

York U in Toronto is notorious for this, there they definately are among the highest paid.

Edit: And TA's recieve a 75% reduction in tuition costs, they are looking for 100% now I will find proof.

Comment

• So by your figures a TA who pulls down 600$ twice a month (adding up to 14 400 $ per annum) is making more than construction workers, librarians and technicians, Jimmy? Are you living in 1970?
      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Killing it is the new killing it
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• And good for the buses not crossing picket lines.
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• It would have been nice to be back in 1970 before all the stupid auto unions programmed unnecessary cost of living increases into their contracts along with a bunch of other concessions that propogated inflation exponentially and nearly destroyed the US auto industry.
          We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• But I think inefficiency and poor quality control is a great thing. As long as the union workers are protected. Doesn't matter that the rest of the community gets screwed.
            We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• It would have been nice to be living in 1870 before all those goddamn unions came in and stopped us from making coal miners work 80 hours a week in unsafe conditions.
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Originally posted by Ted Striker
                No they don't.

They are still considered students.

So there!
                I study, and I also work as a TA. I'm not asking for a union for my study activities but for my work activities.
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• SO all irrelevancies like your *****ing and moaning about unions aside, why is it that Ishouldn't be able to unionise if everybody else can?
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Yeah.

In 1870, 130 years ago, they were useful.

Comment

• Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                      SO all irrelevancies like your *****ing and moaning about unions aside, why is it that Ishouldn't be able to unionise if everybody else can?
                      Read the thread. It's already been explained.

Comment

• Krazy: No, she only gets paid for 10 hours per week, she doesn't get nearly as much as some other people. This is 600 every two weeks for 10 hours of work. Thats $30 an hour!!

Here we go:

Wage increases were one of the highlights of the deal, with a three per cent increase this year and two per cent next year. This means graduate TA salaries will increase from $29.87 to $30.46 over the next two years. By comparison, undergraduate TAs will earn $16.57 and $16.90.
                        and

Previously, TAs received a 75 per cent rebate on tuition increases made since May 2000 - the new contract will increase this to a full rebate. Husseini says this allows TAs to make a living while going to school.

All this and you're a student. No student makes 30 bucks an hour, no one.... unless you're a TA. And 100 % tuition reduction too.

Comment

• Just because things are better now than they used to be doesn't mean there isn't still progress to be made.

That's exactly the thinking of most conservatives the world over: yeah, things were bad up until X point in the past, but everybody complaining since then is full of ****.

Today you're saying that X was 1970. Conservatives from the next generation will be saying that X was 2000...
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Of course there is progress to be made.

But I'd rathar concentrate on improving other things than spoiled grad students.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimmyCracksCorn
                              Krazy: No, she only gets paid for 10 hours per week, she doesn't get nearly as much as some other people. This is 600 every two weeks for 10 hours of work. Thats $30 an hour!!

Here we go:

and

All this and you're a student. No student makes 30 bucks an hour, no one.... unless you're a TA. And 100 % tuition reduction too.
                              So basically the Univeristy is PAYING the students to go there!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by JimmyCracksCorn
                                Krazy: No, she only gets paid for 10 hours per week, she doesn't get nearly as much as some other people. This is 600 every two weeks for 10 hours of work. Thats $30 an hour!!
                                Funny, does she punch a clock? You're comparing hourly rates to piecework rates. Apples to oranges my son.

By the way, I was a poor undergraduate too at one time. So at least I know both sides of the coin. All this *****ing and moaning is coming from people who have never been a grad student. You should be thankful to them, because without them your classes would grind to a halt, as you see when they go on strike. In actuality a grad student TA puts more work into a class than a professor does.
                                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Working...
                                X