No announcement yet.

Troy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ****, I remembered the Trojan Horse being at the beginning of the Odyssey for some reason. That's what I get for reading them back to back...
    Last edited by Drake Tungsten; May 17, 2004, 01:08.
    KH FOR OWNER!
    ASHER FOR CEO!!
    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• dp
      KH FOR OWNER!
      ASHER FOR CEO!!
      GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• the trifecta
        KH FOR OWNER!
        ASHER FOR CEO!!
        GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• Well if the Horse was at the beginning of the Odyssey, then the Illiad would have had a piss poor ending, wouldn't it?
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Actually, a quick search on the web seems to indicate that I was right...

By closing with the burial of Hector, Homer leaves us with a feeling of great loss. Hector has his glory: is body is finally given the respect it deserves, and he dies beloved and praised by his people. But we also know that his people are doomed, and that the cease-fire granted by Achilles is only a postponement of the inevitable. Although its citizens have been loyal to the gods, the city of Troy will perish, and the Achaeans will deal with her people brutally. At times, Homer glorifies aspects of war, depicting its power to call out the best of his heroes. Under the conditions of warfare, men find previously unknown sources of courage, sacrifice, and loyalty. But Homer finishes the Iliad with a funeral for a great man, attended by his ill-fated people, and the tone is overwhelmingly one of sorrow. Significantly, the last glimpses of both the Achaeans and the Trojans show both groups in mourning, and the very last moments of the poem depict the doomed Trojans rather than the victorious Achaeans. Our last memory of the Iliad is of this doomed people, who have already lost so much and now must mourn their champion. And still, even after all that the Trojans have endured, we know that the worst of their suffering is yet to come.

GradeSaver offers study guides, application and school paper editing services, literature essays, college application essays and writing help.

Fool indeed...
            KH FOR OWNER!
            ASHER FOR CEO!!
            GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
              The Trojan Horse WAS in the Illiad, fool!
              The Iliad ends with a truce between the Achaeans and the Trojans, with Achilles still alive, having tendered the corpse of slain Hector back to the Trojans, and with the funeral rites of Hector, 'tamer of horses'.

(Book XIV, Priam and Achilles)

Clippety clop, no hoss.

Let us help you live a life you love. Find tools to help you have fun and make the most out of each and every day.
              Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

• Ah, son of a *****. But Homer was the one who wrote about the Trojan Horse... so the main point still stands . The fact it was in the Odyssey is only a minor point... like Shelob being in the TTT instead of the ROTK. That doesn't mean that the movie ROTK wasn't based on the book ROTK.
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

• so the main point still stands

I thought your main point was that the whole movie was based on the Illiad?
                  KH FOR OWNER!
                  ASHER FOR CEO!!
                  GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• Lots of people wrote about the Trojan Horse, and it's debatable whether the Homer of the Iliad and the Homer of the Odyssey are one and the same person.
                    ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

• How's life in Ukkake Bay, DT? Have they cleaned it up yet?
                      ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

• The poor girl's still working on it, joncha...
                        KH FOR OWNER!
                        ASHER FOR CEO!!
                        GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• *ahem*

So... Troy... yeah, good movie.

Comment

• No, my main point was that Troy the movie is based on Homer's work and therefore it is critisizable as not being consistent with it... just as any other movie based on a source is critisizable when it moves away from it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                              ... so the main point still stands ..
                              That you think you know your 'Iliad' butcha don't, Blanche?

Homer didn't have exclusive rights on Troy, or the Trojan Horse, neither, guv'nor, nor was he the onlie begetter.

Like Shakespeare's 'Hamlet' and Marlowe's 'Dr. Faustus' there's an earlier myth/story, 'the Story of Achilles', or 'the Achilleis'.

Livy and Apollodorus and Dionysus of Halicarnassus are responsible for the characterization of noble Aeneas, carrying Anchises upon his back, and surviving the Sack of Troy.
                              Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

• Aeneus is not integral...read on if you want to know what his bit part was

Spoiler:
                                As Paris helps people into the escape tunnel, he catches a boy who's helping an old man out. He gives the boy the sword of Troy and tells him that as long as it is in Trojan hands, the people of Troy will always have a home, or will always survive, or something like that. I really liked that they threw it in.
                                "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
                                ^ The Poly equivalent of:
                                "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

Working...
                                X