What is Democracy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is Democracy

What is it that gives the majority in a true democracy the right to impose themselves on the minority. And what are the limits to that imposition? if the majority of people thought that all immigration to the US needs to be stopped, would that make them right? what if they thought that only whites can be admitted into america? is that right? or what if the majority decided that slavery was the way to go? does this justify slavery.

my question i guess is how can we rely and trust in a democracy when there is no inherent limit to what the majority can do.
    "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Oh,damn, LoA. What is better? When will all want the exact same thing?

Here, pick some and read.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Hence having a republic, as opposed to a democracy.

-Arrian
      grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

What is it that gives the majority in a true democracy the right to impose themselves on the minority.

'Cause there is more of them .
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

There are more Chinese than there are Americans.
          Thus, America should surrender itself to China
          Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
          Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

As should the Russians, and turn in the "Lord God Putin" for "re-education."

-Arrian
            grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Yes... Lord God Putin needs to be crucifed for his sins.
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

The Chinese and Russian peoples are Friends Forever, Enemies Never!!!

Comment

There are more cochroaches and bacteria than man. Guess we should submit to them as well.
                  "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

The Chinese and Russian peoples are Friends Forever, Enemies Never!!!

Says the begging Russkie.

Comment

Originally posted by Ogie Oglethorpe
                      There are more cochroaches and bacteria than man. Guess we should submit to them as well.
                      True democracy in action.

Comment

Hence having a republic, as opposed to a democracy.
                        i dont see how that changes anything - the majority of our representatives still leads to no inherent limit to what they can think up of.

When will all want the exact same thing?
                        why should we all want the same thing? cant you let people decide what they want for themselves? why must we be in lockstep with the rest of the population?
                        "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

I offer my services as your benevolent dictator.
                          One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

this question must be above most ACSers as evident by the spam in this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Lawrence of Arabia
                              cant you let people decide what they want for themselves?
                              Not when people's wants conflict with one another. If I want to enslave you and you don't want to be enslaved, then clearly we have a conflict of interest, and we can't both do what we want. Majority Rules seems to be as good a system as any for resolving conflicts, unless you were to propose Loinburger's Rule By Fiat as an alternative.
                              <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Working...
                              X