Condi Rice testifies before 9-11 commission

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by The Mad Monk
    Bush outsmarted them by rolling right over.
    It was clever, but I sincerely doubt it was Bush's who came up with it.
    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Oh -- and thank you for asking this question.

The WTC is mentionned in the first paragraph.

Bin Laden implied in US television interviews in 1997 and 1998 that his followers would follow the example of World Trade Center bomber Ramzi Yousef and "bring the fighting to America".
      The report has either been prepared further to a specific request from a top executive (or even Condi Rice or the President), or spontaneously prepared by Clark. In both cases it shows that the admin was seriously concerned about Bin Laden, nobody believing that memos *for the President only* can be lightly issued. So I dont understand why the admin preferred to say that the President receives useless reports from unreliable executives.

As for historical, this adjective refer to events that are not only past but settled, which cannot be the case for three years old events relating to a terrorist threat.
      Statistical anomaly.
      The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Comment

• BBC : Key points of 9/11 testimony
        Following 11 September 2001 attacks, none of Mr Bush's advisers counselled doing anything against Iraq, the focus was on Afghanistan.
        Bob Woodward, in Bush at war, writes that on September 12, the National Security Council had two meetings. During the second one, D. Rumsfeld raised the question of Iraq; he asked why the US would attack only Al-Qaida and not Iraq. And he made the assumption that they could take advantage of the opportunity offered by the terrorists attacks to attack Saddam immediately.

If Woodward described faithfully the meeting, on this point at least Condi Rice lied to the Commission.
        Statistical anomaly.

Comment

BTW Chegitz, exactly what are you saying Dr. Rice lied about?
          See DrosDar's post on the first page of this thread. Partially I am engaging in the same sort of behavior as those who similarly disparaged Dick Clarke. According to DrosDar's links, however, I am also correct.
          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

• Originally posted by DAVOUT

Bob Woodward, in Bush at war, writes that on September 12, the National Security Council had two meetings. During the second one, D. Rumsfeld raised the question of Iraq; he asked why the US would attack only Al-Qaida and not Iraq. And he made the assumption that they could take advantage of the opportunity offered by the terrorists attacks to attack Saddam immediately.

If Woodward described faithfully the meeting, on this point at least Condi Rice lied to the Commission.
            How did Condi lie? She said that they discussed Iraq but decided to focus on Afghanistan. From Woodward's book, this is indeed what happened. Rumsfeld brought up Iraq, and it was discussed, but it was decided to focus on Afghanistan.
            'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
            G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"

Comment

• On NPR, Clarke said that Condi basically agreed with him on the facts, but disagreed with him on interpretation (which once again demonstrates, BTW, that Clarke is a rabid partisan that can't be trusted ).
              "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
              -Bokonon

Comment

• Originally posted by The diplomat

How did Condi lie? She said that they discussed Iraq but decided to focus on Afghanistan. From Woodward's book, this is indeed what happened. Rumsfeld brought up Iraq, and it was discussed, but it was decided to focus on Afghanistan.
                Condi Rice said :
                none of Mr Bush's advisers counselled doing anything against Iraq, the focus was on Afghanistan.
                In this sentence, CR is not stating about the NSC conclusions, but about advisors counsels. D.Rumsfeld clearly, the day following 9/11, was focusing on Iraq as much, or even more on Iraq than on Afganistan.

As I dont believe that Rumsfeld opinion was ignored by Rice, particularly when expressed during an official meeting of the NSC, I am obliged to conclude that C.Rice lied.
                Statistical anomaly.

Comment

• Focusing on Iraq and advocating action against them are two different things.

The day after 9/11 things were very murky. The intel was coming in and the subject was still out there whether Iraq had any involvemnt.

No discrepany IMO.
                  "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

• Originally posted by Ogie Oglethorpe
                    Focusing on Iraq and advocating action against them are two different things.
                    You are mkising the point. She was asked a direct question. She gave an answer which was contrary to the facts as she knew them. Hence, she lied.
                    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

• I don't see it that way. Raising the question is posing a set of actions that allows for a group consensus. How strongly did Rummy advise teh course of action? Was it a simple "What do you think?" or was it a "We should do this now while we have the chance!"

Two different framings of the subject. In the first I would say it is not an advocacy of action, hence not lie.

You know the definition of "is".

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

• Set willy free!

re: aggie
                        If you don't like reality, change it! me
                        "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                        "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                        "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

• If it was known that Rumsfeld did raise the issue of Iraq on 12/9, why was Rice's comment that no-one counselled on action on Iraq not questioned there and then at the Commission Inquiry?
                          One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

• Ah, but Rummy did say we should go after Iraq.

Comment

• You got your commie spy bug planted in the situation room again. How was the issue raised?

Comment

• You conservatives have such short memories.

Comment

Working...
                                X