No announcement yet.

Why are we so illiterate about Art?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is nothing wrong with traditional stuff. However, by definition, art has to be in some part avant-garde. When it ceases to be, it becomes a social construct at the hand of the ruling elite.

This is a problem. That art which is 'hand of the elite' is automatically bad. Bah!
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by monolith94
      That's a good painting, but your snotty attitude actually makes me want to like it less.
      Are you talking to me?

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
        That's because people who insist they know art have crap taste. It's a no-win situation.
        I had once this cinema class where the teacher showed us a very long and drawn movie, with no real beginning and ending, no climax, no resolution of conflict, etc.

Of course, most of the class complained. Then he made a speech as to how Art was like a refined roquefort: you have to practice your taste in order to enjoy it. I agree.
        In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

The bronze cast you see in the foreground is a sculpture of a person's head. I had to write a paper on it and a painting in this exhibit. It was one of the more interesting assignments I've had.
          "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
          Drake Tungsten
          "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
          Albert Speer

Comment

You mean, force yourself to believe something is good, because others do?

Comment

Originally posted by joncha

Verto! Are you sure you're not really my grandmother? The similarity in taste is uncanny.

jon.
              I hope not.

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                This is a problem. That art which is 'hand of the elite' is automatically bad. Bah!
                You agree or not? Well, since you are you and I am me, I don't expect much.

The reason why 'ruling class' art is bad is quite obvious. It is 'mythologic' in nature, in that it uses language (a moving media) to fix history (stagnate it) in a balanced, pleasing representation, destined to manipulate the masses.

Comment

The reason why 'ruling class' art is bad is quite obvious. It is 'mythologic' in nature, in that it uses language (a moving media) to fix history (stagnate it) in a balanced, pleasing representation, destined to manipulate the masses.

And this is bad 'art' because...?

The Sistine Chapel was commissioned by the elites, that doesn't mean it isn't amazing.
                  “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

"I had once this cinema class where the teacher showed us a very long and drawn movie, with no real beginning and ending, no climax, no resolution of conflict, etc."

L'Aventurra?

"That's because people who insist they know art have crap taste. It's a no-win situation."

You have no right to talk, mister. We've all seen your desktop background!
                    "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
                    Drake Tungsten
                    "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
                    Albert Speer

Comment

I figured that since I jumped all over Verto, it's only fair game that I post some of my "art."

This is the current wallpaper on my desktop. I likes it.
                      Attached Files
                      ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

I like Verto's art .

Comment

Must...avert...eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Oncle Boris
                            (...)destined to manipulate the masses.
                            Isn't in a certain sense any form of art manipulating? Not that I think art is generally brainwashing, but it appeals to our senses.....
                            Blah

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

And this is bad 'art' because...?

The Sistine Chapel was commissioned by the elites, that doesn't mean it isn't amazing.
                              Yes. When talking about art, we need to make a distinction between anything prior to the 19th century and the rest.

We also need to make the distinction between technical prowess (inherent to painting, sculpture) with the rest.

Finally, you have to keep in mind that it was only with the appearance of cartoons and cinema that art was destined directly for the masses. Understanding the Sistine chapel requires erudition, that was highly unlikely held by the masses of the Italian Renaissance.

Comment

Originally posted by Oncle Boris
                                Finally, you have to keep in mind that it was only with the appearance of cartoons and cinema that art was destined directly for the masses.
                                Not true.

Comment

Working...
                                X