This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oerdin's Iraq thread.

The purpose of this thread is for me to share notes, observations, and non sequiter during my deployment in Iraq. I entend to post periodic updates so that all of my friends out in polyland can follow along; I'm not vain enough to think that everyone is interested but I am hoping that one or two people out their might like to read a first hand account from the Iraqi war zone.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Awesome, great idea Oerdin. Take care!
    http://monkspider.blogspot.com/

Comment

Hello everybody,
      I just thought I'd send a brief note to let everyone know I'm now settled into Camp Iron Horse located in the middle of Tikrit, Iraq. The whole base used to be Saddam Hussein's palace compound in his home town so the accommodations are pretty up scale. Overall the compound covers just over 300 acres (which is entirely enclosed by 20ft tall walls complete with gun towers), has two lakes on the grounds, a large resort (with an indoor swimming pool & sauna), and several palaces which were built for high ranking Baath Party officials. My Psyop Unit is housed in a guest house which is approximately one block from the Tirkit Presidential palace (which was heavily damaged by US missiles during the war and so cannot be used).

I'm some what surprised at how poorly built many of the buildings are especially since they were constructed for the richest and most powerful men in the country. I mean many of the walls aren't straight (they have an uneven wavy look) and the floors never seem to be perfectly flat but I guess I shouldn't complain to much since it's all covered in marble tile. Speaking of marble you folks should see the bathroom I get to use; there's a bath tub the size of three or four regular tubs made entirely out marble. One of these days I'm going to have to fill the tub and relax. The only problem is the house has a tiny water heater so I doubt there'd be enough hot water to fill it all the way up. Oh well. I'll talk to you later,

Oerdin

Comment

Ah, roughing it in the army!

Meet the locals, yet?
        No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Here's a link to a thread I started a few days ago which talks about a mortor attack the Iraqis did on Camp Anaconda located at the city of Balad, Iraq.

Here is the thread "Bye, everyone" which explains where I went to train before leaving Iraq and has various background information for anyone who's interested.

From now on I entend to post all Iraq related updates in this thread so the other two should be allowed to die a natural death.
          Last edited by Dinner; February 13, 2004, 04:32.

Comment

The Tikrit blogger. huh?

You can claim you took a dump in the same lavatory as Saddam.
            So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
            Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk
              Ah, roughing it in the army!

Meet the locals, yet?
              Nope, I haven't meet any of the locals other then the ones who have been hired by Kellog, Brown, & Root as cooks, janitors, or gardeners. Last night at about 21:00 we drove in a convoy from Camp Anaconda (in Balad) to Camp Iron Horse (in Tikrit). It was my first time taking part in a convoy opperation here in Iraq and the Army had filled our heads with dire warnings about the need for vigilence and the dangers of Improvised Explosive Device (I.E.D.) attacks. The result was my friends and I were very jumpy. The whole convoy arrived without incident but I still got edgy everytime an Iraqi car or truck tried to pass us on the road.
              Last edited by Dinner; February 13, 2004, 14:26.

Comment

i can only imagine. glad to hear you're safe.
                I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
                [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

Cool. Keep us posted. I'll definitely read. Good luck also and don't get hurt on us would you.

Comment

/subscribe/
                    Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
                    Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
                    Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

\subscribe\
                      Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
                      Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

subscribe.

Comment

/subscribe\

edit: GAH! STOP!!! This isn't Counterglow, SPAM BAD!

Comment

own goal?

Comment

Let's try to not kill Oerdin's thread, okay?

Comment

Working...
                              X