The Economist: Let the Dollar Fall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by el freako
    I would like to see such indicators, Spain's economy is around 60% the size of Italy's - if the gap in the underlying growth rate is maintained (1.3% during 1994-03) then it will be in the late 2040's that Spain passes Italy.
    Spain's GDP per head is 88% of Italy's, at the current difference in underlying growth rates per head (2.3% for Spain, 1.4% for Italy) it will take until the mid 2020's for Spain to catch up.
    Okay thanks for clearing it up. I was talking about the GDP per capita (or per head).
    For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

Originally posted by Fez

Okay thanks for clearing it up. I was talking about the GDP per capita (or per head).
      So was I when I said,

Originally posted by El Freako
      it will take around half that time for Spains average income to reach western european levels
      In the original post which you obviously didn't read properly.
      19th Century Liberal, 21st Century European

Comment

So was I when I said,

In the original post which you obviously didn't read properly.
        Sorry I didn't notice you said that.

Please take it easy on me tonight. I'm signing off... my stomach is just killing me... I knew I shouldn't of eaten that vanilla ice cream. Damn lactose intolerance. Runs in the family. Anyways, have a good day... and as always, back to the topic.
        For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

Okay, no problem.

And I really hope you feel better soon

Comment

Okay, no problem.

And I really hope you feel better soon
            Ehhh.. feel better now.. but it is still bugging me. Better get to bed.. later.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin

Eventually they will have no choice but until they hit the economic wall they will continue to buy dollars in an attempt to devalue their own currencies thus improving their own exports to the US.
              China and Japan are not buying US dollars to "devalue their own currencies". The renminbi is officially peg at a set rate and the Yen is unofficially pegged within a tight margin.

The two countries have resisted American calls to allow their currencies to rise in value against the greenback.

Also, the US dollar is being devalued, hence its decline against most major currencies.
              Golfing since 67

Comment

Re: The Economist: Let the Dollar Fall

Originally posted by Kidicious
                Let the Dollar Fall
                I think this is interesting. People here at Poly seem to be in two camps. The conservative camp believes in a stronger dollar and a balanced budget for the US. The other camp wants fiscal stimulus and a weaker dollar.
                Seems to me that most conservatives are saying that budget deficits don't matter. They also prefer a weaker dollar because it creates jobs and more jobs boost their chances of being re-elected.

However, the cost of pushing the dollar down is that imports cost more.

The Economist calls for a weaker dollar and a balanced budget though.
                There's a major flaw in the Economist's logic. If there is a balanced budget then there is less foreign debt for the US. This would reduce the current account deficit and remove the weakness of the dollar.

The dollar is weak because of Bushie's reckless overspending. If return to good fiscal management would strengthen the dollar.
                Golfing since 67

Comment

Everyones economy seems to be on the edge of colapse. No one can afford our goods, because it costs more than dollars to imports goods. It costs jobs, as we well know here in the US. It appears that globalization isn't working. Protectionism isn't the answer either. We are probably just screwed.
                  Are you saying that the weaker US dollar makes it more expensive for other countries to import American goods? If you are saying this then you are wrong.
                  Golfing since 67

Comment

good for spain on the 0.6% population growth. They're maintaining a balance close to perfect.
                    urgh.NSFW

Comment

• Originally posted by Azazel
                      good for spain on the 0.6% population growth. They're maintaining a balance close to perfect.
                      My stomach is still bugging me.. maybe it was food poisoning.

Anyways, perfect? So you think our capitalist state is close to perfect? Good. I do too.

Comment

• way of taking my words out of context. I said your demographics are close to perfect.
                        urgh.NSFW

Comment

• Patrick J. Buchanan book the Death of the West is proven correct. The UN and Pat use 2.1 baby per woman per her baby bearing years as replacement rate.
                          Percentable can be missleading which would rather have 1% of 1 million dollar or 20% of 100 dollar.

The fertility rate of Eupore:
                          England for nonmuslim is 1.66 for muslim 3.00
                          Russia is 1,17
                          Spain is 1.07
                          Italy is 1.2
                          Czech is 1.2
                          Romania is 1.2
                          Germany is 1.3
                          Europe for unlist nation except for muslim Alania which have 4.00 rate. Other euporean nations 1.4

Italy was below replacement rate for 25 year what wrong with those Italion woman.
                          By the year 2100 AD over half of the world population will be follower of Islam.

Comment

• Originally posted by Azazel
                            way of taking my words out of context. I said your demographics are close to perfect.
                            I am just twisting your words to my advantage.

CharlesBHoff: Pat Buchanan is perhaps the most unreliable person you could turn to. That is like asking Pat Robertson or even Fred Phelps about gay rights. He is a raving lunatic.

In Spain, we have a steady population growth, not declining as was proved. So your numbers are off. The problem with Italy is Italian women wait till too late to have children.

Comment

• Originally posted by CharlesBHoff
                              The fertility rate of Eupore:
                              England for nonmuslim is 1.66 for muslim 3.00
                              Russia is 1,17
                              Spain is 1.07
                              Italy is 1.2
                              Czech is 1.2
                              Romania is 1.2
                              Germany is 1.3
                              Europe for unlist nation except for muslim Alania which have 4.00 rate. Other euporean nations 1.4

Italy was below replacement rate for 25 year what wrong with those Italion woman.
                              Italy? What about Spain. Those Spanish men are having a problem delivering the goods.

Of course, if we rely on your number, the solution is to bring in more muslim immigrants. But a better solution is to allow more Chinese immigrants. They'll show you how to get the job done.
                              Golfing since 67

Comment

• Originally posted by Tingkai

Italy? What about Spain. Those Spanish men are having a problem delivering the goods.

Of course, if we rely on your number, the solution is to bring in more muslim immigrants. But a better solution is to allow more Chinese immigrants. They'll show you how to get the job done.
                                Actually the rate for China is around 1.8

The best are black africans who have a TPFR of between 5 and 8

Comment

Working...
                                X