Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roe v Wade: an interesting article from Philosophy Now.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roe v Wade: an interesting article from Philosophy Now.

This is one of the better articles I've read on abortion for a while. I think his final argument about the non-establishment of religion against Roe is especially cunning, although I don't think it works. It did make me smile though, as all cunning arguments do.

Anyway, I confidently predict that no Apolytoner will change his or her opinion on reading this article - more's the pity.
    Only feebs vote.

abortion has killed more blacks than slavery...
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Abortion, definetly a racial issue . Thanks for pointing that out Speer.
      "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Albert Speer
        abortion has killed more blacks than slavery...
        Has it killed more Jews than the Holocaust yet? Armenians than the Turks? Chinese than the MOngols?

At least we know abortion is the nuber one genocide against whites though.
        If you don't like reality, change it! me
        "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
        "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
        "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

In the past 30 years, 13 million Black American children have died as a result of legalized abortion.

Sadly, however, Conyers, Rangel, Sharpton, et al. continue to miss the real story of racial disparity in casualty rates: the disproportionate numbers of black casualties in the war on the unborn. While Sharpton and the other Democratic presidential hopefuls celebrated the 30th Anniversary of Roe v. Wade at NARAL's gala, the black community continued to be decimated by abortion rates that are nearly three times the rate of whites.

The most recent data from the Centers for Disease Control indicate that while 56% of all women who obtained legal abortions were white, the abortion rate (the number of abortions per 1,000 women aged 15-44 per year) for black women was 2.9 times that of white women. For every thousand black women, 32 have abortions, as compared with 11 for every thousand white women. Likewise with numbers of abortions per 1,000 births: The abortions/births ratio for white women was 184 abortions per 1,000 live births; for black women, it was 543 abortions per 1,000 births. This means that abortion ratios for black women were 2.8 times greater than those for white women. Sadly, black women were also more likely to obtain riskier abortions late in their pregnancies, while white women were significantly more likely than black women to obtain abortions before 16 weeks.

While these data most likely reflect inequality in access to health care, data also indicate that the racial disparities in abortion rates have increased steadily since 1989. In some localities, including Mississippi, Louisiana, Maryland, and Georgia, more than half of all abortions are performed on black women. Black women in New York City and in the entire state of New Jersey receive more than 47% of all abortions performed there.

Comparisons by race cannot be made in California, because the state -- unlike any other state -- refuses to comply with requirements to report statistics on abortion. California's reporting requirement was enacted in 1967 as part of a larger abortion law called the Therapeutic Abortion Act. Yet even with the threat of losing federal funds, California has consistently refused to report its abortion data. Michael Quinn, the chief of California's office for health information, was recently quoted in a Catholic newspaper account as saying that "California does not actively collect abortion statistics because they are highly sensitive and highly political."

Abortion data -- like all casualty data -- are indeed sensitive. They reveal life-or-death decisions for women and unborn children and for this very reason should be disseminated widely. California needs to be encouraged to provide data on abortion.

For policymakers to address the real casualties among blacks would take courage -- far beyond the grandstanding on the military draft by Sharpton, Conyers, and Rangel. They might begin by listening to the poignant lyrics of hip-hop artist Nas in his recent mega-hit, "One Mic." Nas knows that his community has been devastated by abortion and in a courageous plea, the rapper simply asks women to stop abortion because "we need more warriors here."
          she got the quote wrong... it's, "don't abortion your womb, we'll need more warriors soon" point still stands though
          "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

"war of the unborn"?

Quick, lets take all the bridges and create kill zones!

So who counts as collateral damage?
            If you don't like reality, change it! me
            "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
            "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
            "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

No Cries of Racism for Black Babies
              R.D. Davis, Huntsville, Al. August 25, 2001

Since abortion has been legal since Roe vs. Wade, more than 12 million unborn black lives have been exterminated. Although blacks comprise only 12% of the population, they have 35.8% of abortions, according to the Center for Disease Control statistics. This is genocidal. Where are the frequently ubiquitous cries of racism from the so-called black leaders? Why are the black ministers silent, especially in public, on abortion. (When was the last time you read an article against abortion written by a black clergyman. Somebody has to do it) Because of this silence, our black race is becoming desensitized to a potential genocide of our race. This becomes especially worrisome when some black ministers believe that abortion is a “white issue”, like I have heard and know about.

The silence bears the culpability for the genocidal destruction of our black babies. It allows Planned Parenthood, which is heavily supported legislatively by the Democratic Black Caucus, to carry on founder, Margaret Sanger’s aim for her Negro Project. The “Negro Project” goal was to contain the inferior races through segregation, sterilization, birth control and later, abortion. Blacks with their votes are helping with the racist’s goal of limiting the population of our race.

The summer issue of the Black Americans for Life newsletter reports that the “Negro Project” has really taken effect in New York City. The New York State Department of Health statistics indicate that among the black population abortions exceeded births in New York City, with 49,235 abortions 40,481 births in 1997, the latest year for which statistics are available.

This disparity is only, I repeat, only with the black race. It does not exist for other populations. For example, the statistics for Brooklyn revealed there were 31,500 black peoples aborted and only 23,700 born during 1997, while births of white babies totaled a little over 37,000 and abortions just over 18,000, which is less than half. With the Hispanic population, there were 19,000 babies born and slightly more than 12,000 babies aborted.

In Brooklyn, Catholic Bishop Thomas V. Daily referred to abortion as “a form of black genocide”. “Fifty –seven percent of black babies are aborted in our diocese, he told a predominantly black congregation at St. Catherine of Genoa Church in Flatbush. He also expressed his sorrow over the imminent closing of a childcare agency within his diocese because, “We just don’t have enough children to care for. Too many are dying before they get to us,” he said.

Bishop Dailey and Msgr. Philip Reilly, director of the Helpers of God’s Precious Infants, led a precession to a medical center where more than 2,000 late-term abortions are done per month. Participants in the procession prayed, sang hymns and handed out literature about abortion alternatives to those entering the building. Members of the group report that many unborn babies are saved when there is a prayer vigil at the clinic.

Many more unborn black babies would be saved if the black ministers and politicians would take a public stand against this racist genocide and cry out “Racism!” However, this will never happen because Planned Parenthood and the Democratic politicians have “conditioned” blacks to blindly support the “Negro Project”. A race that does not respect the lives of its unborn is destined to become extinct. “Negro Project”—completed.

Comment

Speer, it isn't that we didn't read you quote. Nobody cares about its convoluted underlying meaning.

Although blacks comprise only 12% of the population, they have 35.8% of abortions, according to the Center for Disease Control statistics. This is genocidal. Where are the frequently ubiquitous cries of racism from the so-called black leaders? Why are the black ministers silent, especially in public, on abortion. (When was the last time you read an article against abortion written by a black clergyman. Somebody has to do it) Because of this silence, our black race is becoming desensitized to a potential genocide of our race.
                So you are saying you are committing genocide againt yourselves? Is the white man forcing your mothers into abortion clinics/gas chambers? The reason nobody has brought this up is bceause it is a stupid line of thought.

Enough with the treadjack.

I found the third group of explanations, the legal ones for both sides, interesting. It seems to me both sides are stretching the Constitution like a rubber band and then tieing it in knots to keep it there. Very good logic though.
                "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Man -- there are strange ways for threads to take off.
                  A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Gepap, fortunately, my hispanic sisters, for whatever reasons, seem to have relatively few abortions as compared to Black women. thank god for that.

the problem Patroklos is that usually, we're talking about fairly young women here who have been mis-educated by Democrat-controlled local, urban school districts and a pro-abortion media which causes many Black women to not realize the full implications of their actions until it is too late.

like the second article said, too few Black community leaders (like preachers, etc.) have talked about this issue. Reggie White is probably the only one with some fame (and who takes a football player too seriously? )

Comment

Maybe too few black community leaders have not discussed this because

there is no racism behind the patterns of abortions?
                      I only agree with you on the point that minority groups tend to have less access to much needed resources/information, but come on!!
                      A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Out of curiosity, are you pro-life or pro-choice.

Genocide is the concious effort to exterminate a class of people. I see no concious effort, and no exterminaiton. Your population growth is still markedly positive.

Comment

and this is not a threadjack... the original article talked about the basis of the two sides of the roe vs wade issue. i am quoting articles referencing an entire viewpoint not mentioned in the original article.

Comment

Why not read the article before coming up with the usual tripe?
                            Only feebs vote.

Comment

Not having access to resources and information is a common arguement that pro-lifers use to explain the lack of abortion in the third world.

Now I do agree that the black population might have a glut of influence from one side. In their unholy alliance with democrats, which in gerneral terms are the pro-life party, the black leaders may have unwittingly caused the population to absorb that platform issue too, along with the platform issues the allaince was formed and maintained on.

Comment

Working...
                              X