No announcement yet.

Brits: How would opposition act? re: Bush, SOTU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Its shocking the similarities between the queen and GWB. I mean, Bush has more power for sure but what I mean is that you Americans have a nice little disposable leader upon whom you can project your desire to be ruled, as well as to personify your *cough* patriotism.
    "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
    "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

For real Parliamentary arguments, try Australia. It's hard to beat.

As for Brit reaction to Bush - opposition would have immedietely pointed out that "new jobs created" equal about zero.

As for current opposition general attitude to Bush - the Tories would brown tongue in public and curse him in private.
      Some cry `Allah O Akbar` in the street. And some carry Allah in their heart.
      "The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84

Comment

"new jobs created" is actually not equal to about zero; it is a negative 2.8 million.

I guess, just looking at semantics, that it really is zero new jobs created, but I just like the ring of "-2.8 million" better. It sounds like... victory.
        "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
        "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Originally posted by East Street Trader
          I am not very knowledgeable about US politics. But I am doubtful that you are right, Spencer.

The Queen's speech has a particular function. It is indeed written by the government. It is delivered at the state opening of parliament and in it is set out that programme of legislation which the government intends to introduce into parliament during that session. The speech gives a brief description of the main points which will be included in each bill.

I stand to be corrected about the state of the nation speech but I had thought it involved standing back for a moment from the press of affairs so as to attempt a summary of how the US stands. If that is right it is a different thing from setting out a specific legislative programme.
          Technically, I suppose they may have different functions, but they amount to the same thing. The head of state stands up and blathers on about whats been done and what they want to accomplish.
          We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
          If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
          Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

I've never seen the Oz parliament in action. Brit, Canada, Swede, US congress, but the funniest I've seen (albeit briefly) was the Taiwan parliament. A full scale riot I think someone has said that the Korean one was pretty feisty too.
            We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
            If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
            Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Have you ever seen Italian parliament? They have full punch-ups there

But for some of the homophobic posturing that Bush came out with in his address, he would be absolutely blasted in parliament...
              Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

In sweden we have an idiomatic expression for "complete chaos", "Polsk Riksdag" which means "Polish Parliament".
                Världsstad - Dom lokala genrenas vän
                Mick102, 102,3 Umeå, Måndagar 20-21

Comment

Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

@ Sweden
                    "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                    "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                    "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison

But for some of the homophobic posturing that Bush came out with in his address, he would be absolutely blasted in parliament...
                      Isn't it ironic that the only countries where things like that are considered serious political positions are the US and countries like Iran and the former Afghanistan.

Same goes for the death penalty, mentioning God every second sentence, xenophobic jingoism, mediaeval savagery masquerading as penal reform, etc.

Haven't you ever heard of the Enlightenment?

And another thing. Faith based charities. Is it me, or is the last thing some homeless alcoholic wants to hear is the sanctimonious pratings of some middle aged teetotalling tory puritan?
                      Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyCracksCorn
                        If UK parliament is anything like Canada's, its just one big yelling match between parties and everyone calling everyone else a liar.
                        Which is fair. Of course they're lying, they are politicians!

President/Prime Minister should just be renamed most convincing liar.

As a rule of thumb I assume every thing that every politician says is designed mainly to make the politician look good and bears little relation to facts. Unless it can be proved by some independent means that what they say has some base in the truth. I think any other view of anything they say is total naivety.
                        Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                        Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                        We've got both kinds

Comment

Same goes for the death penalty, mentioning God every second sentence, xenophobic jingoism, mediaeval savagery masquerading as penal reform, etc.

Xenophobic jingoism? Are we speaking of France or Greece with that statement?

And IIRC, the death penalty was around for many, many years after the Enlightenment. But if you don't mind we'll keep it for centuries more .

And another thing. Faith based charities. Is it me, or is the last thing some homeless alcoholic wants to hear is the sanctimonious pratings of some middle aged teetotalling tory puritan?

If he's getting fed, I'm sure he won't mind it much.
                          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon

Isn't it ironic that the only countries where things like that are considered serious political positions are the US and countries like Iran and the former Afghanistan.

Who the fvck cares what a homeless alchoholic wants, we all know he wants alchohol. Have you ever worked with one of these faith based groups? They are mostly very good at what they do from what I have seen. Their task is to look after the immediate temporal needs of their clients and to provide a constancy in their lives. They lead by example, and I've seen very little proslytizing among them. When you end up on skid row I'll be sure to never allow any of the faith based groups to help you out. I'll tell them that he was too proud to accept help from those he despised as you lay in the gutter and soak in your own urine.
                            He's got the Midas touch.
                            But he touched it too much!
                            Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Working...
                            X