Help Spiffor create a Civ playlist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Spiffor create a Civ playlist

I'm tired of listening to the same music in Civ, looping for hours to no end. Even a great music is bound to get very old after a couple dozen hours of continuous play...

So, what do you listen to when playing Civ? What are the must-haves I need in my own playlist?

I'm trying to make a playlist with a sizable chunk of:
    - electro-ambient, like St Germain, Gotan Project, Massive Attack, Enigma. Several movie and game tunes help in this regard too, being really about ambience.

- traditional / native musics. I have a few well-known goldies from Native Americans and South America, and I enjoy African drums. But I am clueless when it comes to Chinese music: I can't find any traditional Chinese music that I enjoy

- Classical. Shubert, Brahms, and especially Beethoven. Unfortunately, most of my Classical is catchy, and most appropriate for wars. Can anybody tell me of good classical tunes that go along finely with peacetime?

So, what are YOU listening to when playing Civ?
    "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
    "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
    "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Older Prodigy and Linkin Park are my current faves - although Fun Lovin' Criminals and Jimi Hendrix are never too far from my beatbox.
    Some cry `Allah O Akbar` in the street. And some carry Allah in their heart.
    "The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84

Comment

While I'm playing Civ 2, I like to listen to my girlfriend playing Reinecke's Undine Sonata on the flute. Unfortunately for you, no, you can't borrow her. Look out for the piece though.

Comment

I don't play civ.
        I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

/me and everybody else points and laughs at Skanky
          "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor
            * Spiffor and everybody else points and laughs at Skanky
            I wouldn't be too sure about that, Spiff.

Go for Händel's Wassermusik for peacetime growth and development. Your empire will be filled with cathedrals and aquaducts and be the cultural centre of the world. Until the vikings arrive, that is.

Comment

Apart from that, I've always considered Ben Harper and Bruce Hornsby excellent music to play in the background while I'm doing something else. I'm not sure they'll provide the Civ feel you request though.

Comment

I'll try them anyway. Thanks for the suggestion

Comment

For wartime (ok, so you're a builder, but sometimes the nice cuddly AI trips, falls, and declares war on you), I'd suggest the Imperial March.

-Arrian
                  grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

I quite like the C&C series soundtracks, since they really add to the feeling of crushing your opponent. Ditto the Emperor Battle for Dune soundtrack.

That said, I do enjoy a bit of classical at times: the NGE: Death and Rebirth soundtrack is good for this.
                    "Paul Hanson, you should give Gibraltar back to the Spanish" - Paiktis, dramatically over-estimating my influence in diplomatic circles.

Eyewerks - you know you want to visit. No really, you do. Go on, click me.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
                      For wartime (ok, so you're a builder, but sometimes the nice cuddly AI trips, falls, and declares war on you), I'd suggest the Imperial March.
                      That and the Duel of the Fates are the first to enter my wartime playlist

Comment

See if you can find some music from Street Fighter II. You might stumble into a lot of idiotic remixes, but what you want is the real thing. Go especially for the stage music that accompanies Zangief, Sagat, E. Honda and Chun Li. This doesn't have anything to do with the "original Chinese music" you wanted but they're awesome tunes with a slight oriental feel that were written as background music (albeit for a more up-beat game). Especially Honda's tune is great if you can find it in the original form.

Comment

For peacetime,
                          Mos Eisley Cantina
                          Blondie - Atomic
                          Nena - 99 Luftballoons
                          The White Stripes - 7 Nation Army
                          Evanescence - Going Under
                          Tatu - Not Gonna Get Us

Wartime
                          666 - Alarma (Lets go Gabba remix)
                          Archatos - Strength of Unity
                          The Masochist - Killing Scum
                          Rammstein - Ich Will (I want)
                          3 Steps Ahead - Paint it Black

These would undoubtably be playing were I playing.
                          I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

You need loads of reggae with titles talking about "Civilization" or "Ancient Civilization", plus of course Derrick Morgan's "Conquering Ruler".
                            Världsstad - Dom lokala genrenas vän
                            Mick102, 102,3 Umeå, Måndagar 20-21

Comment

Ambient:

Eno, Moebius, Roedelius & Plank- After the Heat

Jon Hassell- Earthquake Island (v.good if you're playing Incas/Aztecs/Maya)

Sheila Chandra: The Zen Kiss

The Guo Brothers & Shung Tian: Soldiers of the Long March

U. Srinivas & Michael Brook- Think

The Tsinandali Choir- Orovela

Mouth Music- Seinn O

Otherwise:

John Cale: Mercenaries (Ready For War)

Talking Heads: Life During Wartime

Massive Attack & Tracey Thorn- The Hunter Gets Captured By The Game

Rock Follies: Glenn Miller Is Missing

Kate Bush: Army Dreamers

David Bowie: V2 Schneider
                              Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Working...
                              X