Russians Wage Desperate Battle To Avert Tragedy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Russians Wage Desperate Battle To Avert Tragedy

MOSCOW (Reuters) - Russia has sent in the army to bolster a week-long struggle to rescue 10 tons of beer trapped under Siberian ice, Itar-Tass news agency said Tuesday. A lorry carrying the beer sank when trying to cross the frozen Irtysh river, and a rescue team of six divers, 10 workers and a modified T-72 tank from the emergencies ministry have so far failed to save the load.
    "The situation hasn't developed according to our ideal scenario," the deputy head of the Cherlaksky region, told the agency. Temperatures were around minus 27 degrees Celsius (minus 17 degrees Fahrenheit) in the region, near the Siberian city of Omsk and around 1,400 miles from Moscow.

A week-long effort to cut a 100 yard corridor to the river bank to pull the truck to dry land failed when the vehicle was swept away from the rescue site, Tass said.

But it said the soldiers were confident it would take them just a day to retrieve the beer.
    Will America send aid?
    Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

when the vehicle was swept away from the rescue site, Tass said.
    Yeah, right... I bet Tass pushed it in just fer sheits and giggles

That sure is some cold beer though. It has probably all exploded by now anyway.
    Monkey!!!

Comment

OH MY GOD! WE MUST DO EVERYTHING WE CAN TO HELP! STOP EVERYTHING!
      If you don't like reality, change it! me
      "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
      "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
      "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

If its russian beer, then just let it go, its not worth the trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by asleepathewheel
          If its russian beer, then just let it go, its not worth the trouble.
          I have had many excellent Russian beers.

If it were Bud, I'd say blow up the truck as well....
          If you don't like reality, change it! me
          "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
          "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
          "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by GePap

I have had many excellent Russian beers.

If it were Bud, I'd say blow up the truck as well....
            I would shed not a tear for lost bud or bud lite.

Comment

Originally posted by Japher

Yeah, right... I bet Tass pushed it in just fer sheits and giggles

Beer is ungodly.
              Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
              Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

What a nightmare.

Still, good to see that at least some Russian soldiers finally found something meaningful to do.

Comment

I wonder what will be on the cover of the russian equivalent of 'Time':

Person of the Year: The Russian Soldier--> The True Story of One Rifle Section's Heroic Attempts to Find Some Booze: Told by an Embedded Reporter.
                  "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
                  "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
                  "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

Are there any good Russian beers.
                    Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

So in years to come archeologists searching for mammoths will get an early Christmas.
                      Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Originally posted by Japher
                        That sure is some cold beer though.
                        Thats what I was thinking. Is this Russia's new freeze-brewing system?

Comment

If it's been stuck that long, I'd wager it's frozen, which means it's ruined.

Requiem aeternam...
                          Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

"So in years to come archeologists searching for mammoths will get an early Christmas."

Wouldn't the alchohol keep it from freezing? If it did freeze, the alcohol wouldn't, right? So you could still get drunk on it?
                            Long time member @ Apolyton
                            Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Beer doesn't have enough alcohol in it to prevent it from freezing when exposed to enough cold. Trust me, have had it happen many times.

It would still have alcohol, but it would taste revolting.
                              Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Working...
                              X