X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Churchill's parrot still hurling insults at 104

BBC story

BBC News
    Winston Churchill is best remembered for stirring speeches and cigars.
    But the wartime leader also had a taste for exotic pets - one of which is still going strong.
    Charlie, a blue macaw bought by Churchill two years before the outbreak of World War II, is now entertaining customers at a Surrey garden centre with obscene anti-Nazi tirades.
    His owner, Peter Oram, says he believes Charlie is 104, making him the oldest parrot on record.
    Mr Oram bought Charlie in 1965 for his pet shop, but was forced to take him into his own home when his constant swearing offended customers.
    Bernard Matthews
    Churchill apparently taught the bird to shout strings of obscenities, mostly aimed at Hitler and the Nazis.
    But Charlie has won over customers at Mr Oram's Reigate garden centre, where he has lived for the past 12 years.
    If truth be told, Charlie is looking a little scruffy
    Sylvia Martin
    "He looks a bit like a Bernard Matthews turkey nowadays, with lots of feathers missing, but he's a lovely old chap," Mr Oram told the Daily Mail.
    "If truth be told, Charlie is looking a little scruffy," said Sylvia Martin, who works at the garden centre. "But he is very popular with the public. We are all very attached to him."
    However, Leonard Small, who looks after Charlie, said he had become spiteful in his old age, and no longer said much.
    "He's pulled many of the feathers out of his chest, but whistles away happily," he said.
    Three Jocks
    Mr Oram believes Charlie was born in 1899. He had already outlived two owners when Churchill acquired him in 1937.
    If Charlie's age is confirmed he would be by far the oldest parrot on record. The next-oldest is a cockatoo named Cokky, who died at the age of 80.
    But whether or not Charlie's provenance can be confirmed, the legacy of Churchill's love of pets lives on.
    Before he died he asked that his home, Chartwell Manor, always keep an orange cat named Jock "in comfortable residence", in memory of a favourite cat given to him by his private secretary, Sir John Colville.
    The National Trust, which now runs Chartwell Manor, has honoured his request, although Jock III has been barred from the house's main rooms.
    "His claws could do a lot of damage," says Victoria Leighton, who looks after him. "We try to ensure he keeps to the garden, where he sits happily in the catmint."
    Story from BBC NEWS:
    BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

Published: 2004/01/19 22:29:57 GMT

© BBC MMIV
    Great to know that Churchill found a way to still insult the Nazis after all these years.

no parrott gets to 104. lies.

Comment

Wow, is all I can say.

Also proves parrots can hack second had smoke.
      http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

Could you provide some examples of the obscenities?

Comment

Well, according to a Danish paper citing The Mirror as its source, one of its favourites is to shout "F*ck the Nazis".

It also says Churchill named it Charlie despite it being a female bird, and that it was by his side during many of the wartime meetings, shocking a number of generals and politicians with its outbursts.

It could be a scam, but it's still funny to think about a bird sitting on its perch in Surrey cursing away at Hitler.

Comment

I like it!
            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

for it top be 104 years old, she would have to have been born in 1900, and 37 years old already when Churchill got her- are they sure she is that old?
                If you don't like reality, change it! me
                "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

It's funny that Winston started a thread on Churchill.

Comment

Yeah, I probably should've asked SpencerH to do it for me, to make it a bit more subtle.

Comment

Thats great. Someone needs to make a recording of the parrot before its too late!

"F*ck Hitler, Squak! Never give in, never surrender, squak, bloody nazis can eat scottish shlt, squak!"

I'd pay to see that.
                      Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Ecthy, I read this today in a newspaper. They said that parrots have a maximum life expectation of 120 years. The bird is quite old, but it's not impossible.
                        Why doing it the easy way if it is possible to do it complicated?

Comment

Also a report on REN-TV, the free Russian news channel.
                          Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                          I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Just out of curiosity, which Danish paper ran this story?

Comment

Working...
                              X