Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What did Nietzsche mean with "God is dead"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What did Nietzsche mean with "God is dead"?

I guess most of us have heard the famous quote from Nietzsche, but what is its context? What did he actually mean with the phrase "God is dead"?

What did Faithless mean with "God is a DJ"?

Comment

What did Faithless mean with "God is a DJ"?

Comment

Nietze was a bit loco

Comment

Let´s wait until Gepap comes and explains us. Meanwhile we could spa....errrmmm....bump the thread
          Blah

Comment

but nothing compared to Goethe
            why not go for the cute german romantics the likes of Hesse? At least something you'll understand (not to be underestimated)

Comment

Goethe? He didn´t went nuts IIRC.
              Blah

Comment

Have you ever tried to actually read Faust?

Comment

Ecth, feel free to share with us your viewpoints on Nietzsche's idea of god and his death.

Comment

Yeah, we read it at school (at least part I) -- it´s difficult. But not crazy

And maybe something is lost in the translations, but some parts of it eg. the "Osterspaziergang" ("easter walk"?) are really beautiful...
                    Blah

Comment

Have you heard of that madman who lit a lantern in the bright morning hours, ran to the market place, and cried incessantly, "I seek God! I seek God!" As many of those who do not believe in God were standing around just then, he provoked much laughter...

Whither is God," he cried. "I shall tell you. We have killed him - you and I. All of us are murderers.... God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him...

Friedrich Nietzsche. The Gay Science (1882), section 126
                      So, Neitzsche didn't say it, he got a character to say it. Big difference.

In The Antichrist (1888), Nietzsche says:

The Christian conception of God... is one of the most corrupt conceptions of God arrived at on earth..." And, when he was already close to insanity, he called himself "the Anti-Christ.
                      Basically, he's saying that the shared cultural belief in God, which until then had been a shared European concept, was/is dead.
                      Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                      Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                      We've got both kinds

Comment

But isn´t the Anti-Christ higly biased?
                        Blah

Comment

Originally posted by BeBro
                          Yeah, we read it at school (at least part I) -- it´s difficult. But not crazy

And maybe something is lost in the translations, but some parts of it eg. the "Osterspaziergang" ("easter walk"?) are really beautiful...
                          Well I kind of made a self inflicting injury and I bought the book for myself. It is one of the very few books, actually basically the only one I've encountered, where I just couldn't make sense of it! Not in the slightest! Maybe it's the translation but it really didn't make any sense to me. I suppose it's one of these books where it's good to have some guidance when reading it. But it wasn't even proper greek... some kind of strange language.

Comment

maybe the translator was crazy

Comment

Originally posted by BeBro
                              But isn´t the Anti-Christ higly biased?
                              No idea, I did what any sensible person would do. I google searched for the thread title and copied and summarised the first result in my own words.
                              Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                              Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                              We've got both kinds

Comment

Working...
                              X