Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If Martin Luther King Jr were alive today...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If Martin Luther King Jr were alive today...

What would he think of the direction black culture has taken?

"Hate cannot drive out hate, only love can do that." -MLK Jr

King patterned his resistance after Ghandi's non- violence. Yet the culture of violence is now pervasive in black music, and life itself. Gangs, drive by shootings, whatever happened to King's teachings of non-violence? The enemy of black people today seems to be black people. Black on black crime is practicly a daily occurance as gangs such as the 'Bloods' and 'Crypts' carry on their senseless war over 'colors'.

I think MLK Jr would roll over in his grave if he knew what has occured since his death, and that the black community needs another such great man to give it some direction. I don't see leeches such as Sharpton or Jesse Jackson as true leaders that can move their people towards a better, more civilized existance free of hate and fear.

I don't see any of them preaching love any more.
    Long time member @ Apolyton
    Civilization player since the dawn of time

Problem is the teaching of love is almost nowhere to be seen in any cross section of society world wide.
    "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

He would be dismayed at urban violence, but he would stand with types like Sharpton and Jackson on the Dem's side; but I suspect he would champion more for his own causes than the political goals of people like Al and Jesse.
      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

More importantly, how would he feel about the direction white society has gone?
        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

I don't know how King would be able to stand the presence of Al and Jesse.

Vulgar men.

Comment

Originally posted by Verto
            I don't know how King would be able to stand the presence of Al and Jesse.

Vulgar men.
            you do realize Jesse was somewhat close to MLK, back in the day... right?
            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

King patterned his resistance after Ghandi's non- violence. Yet the culture of violence is now pervasive in black music, and life itself. Gangs, drive by shootings, whatever happened to King's teachings of non-violence? The enemy of black people today seems to be black people. Black on black crime is practicly a daily occurance as gangs such as the 'Bloods' and 'Crypts' carry on their senseless war over 'colors'
              This is a good post, and very true. I see it every day.

The problem is non-violence doesn't put bread on the table. Areas like Detroit, with large concentrations on African African young folks, simply don't have the local economy and industry like days of old to keep shiftless young black men off the street corner and out of the liquor store.

In turn, the frustation has perpetuated itself in a subculture that advocates just about every form self-destructive behavior there is as a means of gaining "props" or "respect" in the absence of real hope.

King's doctrine opened the door, but the real frustration and hopelessness now stems from a completely different set of problems.
              "Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.

Comment

He'd probably be friends with Ward Connerly
                Monkey!!!

Comment

not really... i may be wrong, but i thought King only knew Jackson for about a year or two before his death.
                  "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                  "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by Albert Speer
                    not really... i may be wrong, but i thought King only knew Jackson for about a year or two before his death.
                    you are correct...
                    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

King patterned his resistance after Ghandi's non- violence. Yet the culture of violence is now pervasive in black music, and life itself. Gangs, drive by shootings, whatever happened to King's teachings of non-violence? The enemy of black people today seems to be black people. Black on black crime is practicly a daily occurance as gangs such as the 'Bloods' and 'Crypts' carry on their senseless war over 'colors'
                      this was all a result of the crack epidemic... things have calmed down considerably since then. my generation is quieter.
                      "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

my generation is quieter.
                        you aren't black Speer.
                        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

exactly my point, sava... exactly my point...

despite what your Leftists like to say, black youth, spanish youth, white youth, asian youth... we're all the same in many ways and all different in many ways. the colour of one's skin is insignificant. young black males, young boricua males, young white males, etc. of my generation (17-21 right now) are calmer than our predecessors.

Comment

You know, most of the violent Black music is made for white audiences. It's modern minstral music. Ohh, watch the scary Black person dance for us?

You know, there's a lot more to Black music than hiphop? There's R&B and Gospel, both which have huge followings in the Black community. Just because white folks don't pay attention to it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
                            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

oh yeah and despite your best efforts, black people do not live in a box. cities are huge places with many different kinds of people. a spanish drug runner on Third and Dauphin shoots a black mugger who hangs around the store at 12th and Dauphin while they at the club at 8th and Diamond. thats urban violence which doesn't only involve black people.

Comment

Working...
                              X