No announcement yet.

Let's talk silent films

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'Extase' with a very naked, very lovely Hedy Lamarr.

Her husband tried to buy up all the prints when she went Hollywood, but luckily for film posterity (people who like stunningly attractive naked women) he was unsuccessful.

Harold Lloyd's films still make me laugh, especially 'Safety Last'. I also love 'The General' and all those old Keystone Cops comedies and Laurel and Hardy films.

And let's hear a big cheer for 'Silent Movie', too.

Oh, and Hitchcock's original 'Blackmail', and 'Number Thirteen.'
    Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

/no wait that had sound I now remember ;=)
      Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Comment

The Lost World was the first inflight movie in the world (shown in an airship, the Graff Zeppelin I believe).

I have seen part of Napoleon, but its too long for me.

I think the title is Alexander nevsky- the one about the Russians fighting off the teutonic knights?
        If you don't like reality, change it! me
        "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
        "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
        "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by GePap
          The Lost World was the first inflight movie in the world (shown in an airship, the Graff Zeppelin I believe).
          The Lost World in a Zepplin? That's a pretty good first.
          Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

the problem with GW Griffith films was, as great as they are, 3hrs is a bit much for silent movies if your not REALLY geared up.

Fritz Lang and Sergei Einstein get it purley for imagery (look at some of the stuff in October 1917).

And lets not Forget 'Silent Movie' by mel brooks
            eimi men anthropos pollon logon, mikras de sophias

Comment

Originally posted by The Andy-Man

And lets not Forget 'Silent Movie' by mel brooks
              Indeed. I didn't, in my earlier post.
              Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Originally posted by molly bloom

Indeed. I didn't, in my earlier post.

I know, but by the time i noticved it i had already posted. I am very lazy
                eimi men anthropos pollon logon, mikras de sophias

Comment

In recent news, I have discovered that in my "Revolutionary Russia" class, we will be seeing some of Eisenstein's more obscure work. You'll hear again from me once I've seen them.
                  "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
                  Drake Tungsten
                  "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
                  Albert Speer

Comment

The General...very funny
                    "Speaking on the subject of conformity: This rotting concept of the unfathomable nostril mystifies the fuming crotch of my being!!! Stop with the mooing you damned chihuahua!!! Ganglia!! Rats eat babies!" ~ happy noodle boy

Comment

Originally posted by monkspider
                      Birth of a Nation was pretty boring I thought, but it was worth seeing at least once.
                      I watched it one time for my research project last semester, since it was one of my primary sources.

I agree with ya.
                      A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Modern Times has not been mentioned. Although it has a few lines of dialogue, it is basically silent
                        "Dave, if medicine tasted good, I'd be pouring cough syrup on my pancakes." -Jimmy James, Newsradio

"Your plans to find love, fortune, and happiness utterly ignore the Second Law Of Thermodynamics."-Horiscope from The Onion

Comment

I just borrowed a stack of dvds from my uncle, Metropolis among them. Pitty its not the fully restored cut. You'd think they wouldn't bother releasing a sub-par version on dvd. Sigh.

jon.
                          ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

I think the title is Alexander nevsky- the one about the Russians fighting off the teutonic knights?
                            Not a bad movie, but definately not silent.
                            Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Working...
                            X