Sympathy for the devil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Albert Speer
    you all know **** like this is a white thing. you never see no black or spanish people doing this kind of ****.
    Says Mr. Lithuanian.
    "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

Strictly speaking, I believe there were quite a few middle-aged women involved in the formation of Wicca. There's a growing trend of "protestant" wiccans, so to speak, on the internet, who insist on following the more male-oriented "Bardic" traditions.

(I googled Wicca when my brother's girlfriend joined a coven. She quit after he threatened to kick her out of the house-she made the mistake of inviting him to one of their meetings-so I've gone back to trying not to think about it all.)
      1011 1100
      Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Elok
        Strictly speaking, I believe there were quite a few middle-aged women involved in the formation of Wicca. There's a growing trend of "protestant" wiccans, so to speak, on the internet, who insist on following the more male-oriented "Bardic" traditions.
        Gerald Gardner and Alex Sanders were the main driving force behind Wicca. Very, very keen on the nudity angle. Oh yes.
        The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

If you go beyond the teenaged sociopaths and fantasists, a different and more thoughtful form of Satanism can be found. The reasoning is this-

If God is omnipotent, what is Satan? How can this implacable enemy of God exist? The only rational explanation is that Satan represents another aspect of God- Satan is God's other face.

While God represents the authoritarian taskmaster laying down the rules and demanding obedience, Satan is the paragon of free thought and action. Satan's sole commandment (to paraphrase Crowley) is "Do what thou wouldst shall be the whole of the law". In other words- think for yourself.

To such people, Satanism is the final word in empowerment and self-liberation. That doesn't mean that they're all a bunch of screaming murderous perverts- many sects (such as LaVey's) encourage strict self-control as a marker of empowerment and strength.

Comment

There's only one group of true Satanists, I believe- the ancient middle-eastern religion of Yezidism. They believe their god Shaitan who is both the embodiment of good and of evil and in the nature of a peacock and who created the world from a pearl. Or something.
            Världsstad - Dom lokala genrenas vän
            Mick102, 102,3 Umeå, Måndagar 20-21

Comment

Didn't LaVey eventually renounce the church he started and become a fundamentalist Christian?
              "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

there's a group of satanists that do not see satan as a conscious entity, merely as a pagan life principle... based on the experience of the senses and the attainment of pleasure in the here and now.

Comment

With Yezidism, apparently they say they don't worship Satan they just respect him and want to get in his good graces since it makes sense since Allah is more forgiving than Shaitain.
                  Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Wicca is not satanism- its more like old fashioned paganism, which is not satanism.

Voodoo and Santeria are not satanism either.
                    If you don't like reality, change it! me
                    "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                    "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                    "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Albert Speer
                      you all know **** like this is a white thing. you never see no black or spanish people doing this kind of ****.
                      You mean like being gay is a white thing, and straight people never get AIDS?
                      No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Nope for those of us who are true Wiccans it doesn't have anything to do with the Satanic church. LaVey wrote the Satanic Bible.

We hold true to the old ways...........similar to those of the Druids etc. We believe in Mother Earth and giving back to the earth and the great ritual, the king making, the right of the change of seasons....etc. Nothing to do with the worship of Satan.
                        Welcome to earth, my name is Tia and I'll be your tour guide for this trip.
                        Succulent and Bejeweled Mother Goddess, who is always moisturised yet never greasy, always patient yet never suffers fools~Starchild
                        Dragons? Yup- big flying lizards with an attitude. ~ Laz
                        You are forgiven because you are FABULOUS ~ Imran

Comment

Okay, here's something interesting I read somewhere.

The first so-called "Satanic Cult" was actually the immediate precursor of the Illuminati; a group of scientists and philosophers who spoke out against the oppression of the church in scientific matters. As such, they were prosecuted by the church and labeled Satanic such that they would essentially be outlaws. This worked to some extent, and the church (being crotchety old bastards) repeated the process on several other splinter organizations they had a beef with. Eventually, people/groups began calling themselves Satanic if they were anti-Catholic, and from that spread all of the "I kill babies and sacrifice goats" nonsense.

I haven't verified this, but it seems like a good theory.
                          Talent Optional

Comment

Originally posted by Tiamat
                            Nope for those of us who are true Wiccans it doesn't have anything to do with the Satanic church. LaVey wrote the Satanic Bible.

We hold true to the old ways...........similar to those of the Druids etc. We believe in Mother Earth and giving back to the earth and the great ritual, the king making, the right of the change of seasons....etc. Nothing to do with the worship of Satan.
                            Calling it "old ways" is on dodgy ground. The fact is that we know next to nothing about what Druidism entailed- what the gullible now call Druidism is a 19th/20th Century fabrication. The Romans deliberately annihilated it because it scared them.

The Romans were great ones for assimilating foreign religions, but they wouldn't touch Druidism with a 20 foot pole. My guess is that it was an astonishingly violent and bloody cult- so bespattered in gore that even the pragmatic Romans shied away from it.

Comment

The Romans liked their blood. Druidism was too close to monotheism for the Romans to be able to cope with. Thus they destroyed it.
                              "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
                              "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

Er, I thought the druids were problematic to the Romans for their practice of human sacrifice? That's just what I read in Larry Gonick, mind you, so I am talking out my rear here, but Gonick is usually pretty reliable.
                                1011 1100
                                Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Working...
                                X