Neocon Conspiracy? Maybe not.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neocon Conspiracy? Maybe not.

As an Australian politician, Mick Young, once famously said, "if you have to choose between a c*ck up and conspiracy, choose the c*ck up every time"

Think Again: Neocons
    By Max Boot Page 1 of 3

January/February 2004

A cabal of neoconservatives has hijacked the Bush administration’s foreign policy and transformed the world’s sole superpower into a unilateral monster. Say what? In truth, stories about the “neocon” ascendancy—and the group’s insidious intent to wage preemptive wars across the globe—have been much exaggerated. And by telling such tall tales, critics have twisted the neocons’ identities and thinking on U.S. foreign policy into an unrecognizable caricature.

“The Bush Administration Is Pursuing a Neoconservative Foreign Policy”

If only it were true! The influence of the neoconservative movement (with which I am often associated) supposedly comes from its agents embedded within the U.S. government. The usual suspects are Paul Wolfowitz, deputy secretary of defense; Douglas Feith, under secretary of defense for policy; Lewis “Scooter” Libby, the vice president’s chief of staff; Elliott Abrams, the National Security Council staffer for Near East, Southwest Asian, and North African Affairs; and Richard Perle, a member of the Defense Policy Board. Each of these policymakers has been an outspoken advocate for aggressive and, if necessary, unilateral action by the United States to promote democracy, human rights, and free markets and to maintain U.S. primacy around the world.

While this list seems impressive, it also reveals that the neocons have no representatives in the administration’s top tier. President George W. Bush, Vice President **** Cheney, Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld, Secretary of State Colin Powell, and National Security Advisor Condoleezza Rice: Not a neocon among them. Powell might be best described as a liberal internationalist; the others are traditional national-interest conservatives who, during Bush’s 2000 presidential campaign, derided the Clinton administration for its focus on nation building and human rights. Most of them were highly skeptical of the interventions in the Balkans that neocons championed.

The contention that the neocon faction gained the upper hand in the White House has a superficial plausibility because the Bush administration toppled Saddam Hussein and embraced democracy promotion in the Middle East—both policies long urged by neocons (though not only by neocons) and opposed by self-styled “realists”, who believe in fostering stability above all. But the administration has adopted these policies not because of the impact of the neocons but because of the impact of the four airplanes hijacked on September 11, 2001. Following the worst terrorist attack in U.S. history, Bush realized the United States no longer could afford a “humble” foreign policy. The ambitious National Security Strategy that the administration issued in September 2002—with its call for U.S. primacy, the promotion of democracy, and vigorous action, preemptive if necessary, to stop terrorism and weapons proliferation—was a quintessentially neoconservative document.

Yet the triumph of neoconservatism was hardly permanent or complete. The administration so far has not adopted neocon arguments to push for regime change in North Korea and Iran. Bush has cooled on the “axis of evil” talk and has launched negotiations with the regime in North Korea. The president has also established friendlier relations with Communist China than many neocons would like, and he launched a high-profile effort to promote a “road map” for settling the Israeli-Palestinian conflict that most neocons (correctly) predicted would lead nowhere.

“Neocons Are Liberals Who Have Been Mugged by Reality”

No longer true. Original neoconservatives such as Irving Kristol, who memorably defined neocons as liberals who’d been “mugged by reality,” were (and still are) in favor of welfare benefits, racial equality, and many other liberal tenets. But they were driven rightward by the excesses of the late 1960s and early 1970s, when crime was increasing in the United States, the Soviet Union was gaining ground in the Cold War, and the dominant wing of the Democratic Party was unwilling to get tough on either problem.

A few neocons, like philosopher Sidney Hook or Kristol himself, had once been Marxists or Trotskyites. Most, like former U.N. Ambassador Jeane Kirkpatrick, simply had been hawkish Democrats who became disenchanted with their party as it drifted further left in the 1970s. Many neocons, such as Richard Perle, originally rallied around Henry “Scoop” Jackson, a Democratic senator who led the opposition to the Nixon-Ford policy of détente with the Soviet Union. Following the 1980 election, U.S. President Ronald Reagan became the new standard bearer of the neoconservative cause.

A few neocons, like Perle, still identify themselves as Democrats, and a number of “neoliberals” in the Democratic Party (such as Sen. Joseph Lieberman and former U.N. Ambassador Richard Holbrooke) hold fairly neoconservative views on foreign policy. But most neocons have switched to the Republican Party. On many issues, they are virtually indistinguishable from other conservatives; their main differences are with libertarians, who demonize “big government” and preach an anything-goes morality.

Most younger members of the neoconservative movement, including some descendants of the first generation, such as William Kristol, editor of the Weekly Standard, and Robert Kagan, senior associate at the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace, have never gone through a leftist phase, which makes the “neo” prefix no longer technically accurate. Like “liberal,” “conservative,” and other ideological labels, “neocon” has morphed away from its original definition. It has now become an all-purpose term of abuse for anyone deemed to be hawkish, which is why many of those so described shun the label. Wolfowitz prefers to call himself a “Scoop Jackson Republican.”
    It seems to me there is a broad consensus supporting current U.S. foreign rather than something organised or more sinister.

The perhaps most unacceptable part of the conspiracy theory is the allegation it is a Jewish plot.
    Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Following the worst terrorist attack in U.S. history, Bush realized the United States no longer could afford a “humble” foreign policy.
    Was it humility that got us in this mess? I think not...

Comment

Saw this, or something very, very similar to this, published in the Lebanon Daily Star. Interesting.

-Arrian
      grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse
        The perhaps most unacceptable part of the conspiracy theory is the allegation it is a Jewish plot.

This is the first time I've ever heard THAT before. Weak.

I'm noticing the glaring absence of ANY mention of P.N.A.C. (Project for a New American Century). This "journalist" needs to do a little more research before dismissing the notion of neocons.
        The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

This is the first time I've ever heard THAT before.

Really?
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by DRoseDARs

This is the first time I've ever heard THAT before. Weak.
            You need to follow current affairs more closely. The Jewish plot element relates to neocon support for Israel.
            Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

AH: That and most of the founders of the movement were Jewish.
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Jewish plots being connected to Neocons? Yes, first time I've heard them connected. Yes, I've heard the "Jewish Boogeymen" conspiracies before and agree that they are nothing more than that, but PNAC is real and hardly of a mystical nature. Real men who want to do greedy things at the cost of decency and other people: oldest story of Humanity, but this is a new publication in the genre.
                The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

This whole anti-semetic claim being thrown around by the neo-cons is bull****. Yes, there are neo-cons and some of them are Jewish. But no one serious (and even most crazy people) are not accusing the neo-cons of being a Jewish cabal. As far as I know, only some right-wing Muslim fanatics have said the neo-cons are a Jewish cabal.

No, the anti-semitism meme is a fabrication of the neo-cons themselves as a way of avoiding having to actually defend their nutty positions.
                  - "A picture may be worth a thousand words, but it still ain't a part number." - Ron Reynolds
                  - I went to Zanarkand, and all I got was this lousy aeon!
                  - "... over 10 members raised complaints about you... and jerk was one of the nicer things they called you" - Ming

Comment

All of what the author says in the article is true and pretty basic. The neocons don't number that many and are generally looked upon suspiciously by even those who are allied with them (e.g., the real decision-makers in the gov't). However, it just so happens that some neocon prescriptions seem to make sense right now. Whether that will continue to be the case is anybody's guess.

The "Jewish Conspiracy" stuff is funny, if only because it would be a piss poor conspiracy. This seems to be brought out by a lot of Arab theorists, who at best have little idea about how the US gov't works and at worst are propaganda tools of some Arabs who would run all the Jews into the ocean if they were to have the chance.

No, the anti-semitism meme is a fabrication of the neo-cons themselves as a way of avoiding having to actually defend their nutty positions.
                    Dude, you've obviously not read very much Arab press.
                    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by The Templar
                      This whole anti-semetic claim being thrown around by the neo-cons is bull****. Yes, there are neo-cons and some of them are Jewish. But no one serious (and even most crazy people) are not accusing the neo-cons of being a Jewish cabal.
                      Actually, far more than some of them are Jewish, but hell, you can say that about communism too. Something about Jews wanting to save the world I guess. I have seen frequent critiques on the left about the neo-cons desire to sustain and protect Israel. Given that most Jews in the US feel the same way, it's not as if this is an unusual position.
                      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Working...
                      X