Pre-Harappan Cities "Flood"ed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre-Harappan Cities "Flood"ed

Interesting documentary on the Science channel now, evidence of not only sunken cities in the Gulf of Cambay off the coast of western India dating back ~9500 years, but evidence the Vedas were not a contribution of Aryan invaders ~1500 BC but were in fact an oral tradition going back to the Indus period and before.

what are you doing watching TV now? be like the rest and be wasting valuable work time with this!
    If you don't like reality, change it! me
    "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
    "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
    "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

The 2 cities are submerged by 120 feet of water and an expert on ancient coastlines shows that the cities' site would have been above sea level during the ice age up until roughly 7,500 years ago. That's about when the cities were abandoned and the "myths" of Manu take over. According to the myth, Manu was the wise sage who re-established civilisation after surviving the flood via boat coming to rest on some mountains near the Himalayas. Settlements sprung up there and people gradually resettled along the nearby Indus and another more massive river system since dried up, cities well inland away from the coast.

Comment

Very interesting.. Harrapan interests me moreso than any early civilization. How big (were) the flooded settlements?

Comment

Btw, the archaeological myth that Aryan invaders wrote the Vedas around 1500 BC was based on extremely flimsy evidence. A scholar on the Indus civilisation, a man named Wheeler, found skeletons and concluded a massacre had occured along the Indus, a massacre perpetrated during a war brought by invading Aryans. But as it turns out, the skeletons were in various strata with little evidence of a war. Yet this notion that the Aryan invaders authored the Vedas is still the status quo in archaeological circles. But "Manu", the flood survivor, appearing in the Vedas has an Indus counterpart going back 5,000 years long before the Aryans arrived.

Comment

Very large, and they've found what may be more ruins down near Sri Lanka. The local fishermen have known about the ruins for eons since they keep snagging their nets on the stones. They did a side-sonar scan of the Cambay cities and you can clearly see the outlines of large structures. They've also recovered plenty of artifacts from the Cambay site and were able to date some to ~7,500 BC.

Comment

Furthermore, linguistic scholars now believe the language in which the Vedas was written has been evolving in India for at least 8,000 years,

Comment

All of this would push the date of the beginning of civilization back- and we can;t possibly challenge archeological orthodoxy, now can't we?
                If you don't like reality, change it! me
                "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Fine with me It's a bit surprising how archaeology sought to overturn the traditions of myth and religion only to become the new dogma. I was amazed to find out the scholarly claim that the Aryans authored the Vedas around 1500 BC was based on such ridiculous evidence. An alleged massacre where the skeletons were found in different strata and the victims of the massacre didn't even die in battle.

Comment

These are lies! LIES! The earth is only 6666 years old! I have PROOF! It's all IN THE bible!
                    Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

soooo SO funny we love you ,LOLOO Llll

Comment

Interesting documentary on the Science channel now, evidence of not only sunken cities in the Gulf of Cambay off the coast of western India dating back ~9500 years,
                        There wasn't much in the way of settled civilization back them. The talk of flooded very early cities that you're talking about is pseudo-science that is not accepted by any professional and trained archeologists that I know of (or at least so said the prof of my Climate Change and Human Evolution class two years ago).
                        Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Furthermore, linguistic scholars now believe the language in which the Vedas was written has been evolving in India for at least 8,000 years,

The antecedents of Sanskrit have been in India for at least 8000 years? Why do these linguists think so? How do they explain its similarities with other Indo-European languages? I'm no linguist, but this sounds like nonsense to me.
                          "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                          -Bokonon

Comment

TV documentaries are usually crap. Although PBS ones and are generally quite decent.
                            "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                            -Bokonon

Comment

how timely...we were just discussing this today in class...well not the program you watched, but the controversy regarding who really produced the Vedas.
                              "Chegitz, still angry about the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991?
                              You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Working...
                              X