Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What From of Public Speaking Appeals to You???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What From of Public Speaking Appeals to You???

Originally posted by Patroklos

Obviously what he is saying matters
    That's all that matters to me. I like the person to just talk normally. I get quite annoyed when they start infusing their message with charisma, passion, or whatever... Just say what you've got to say and don't mess it up with fake emotions.
    Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Eddie Izzard, when he was talking about singing national anthems, stated that what people get from you when speaking:

1. ) 50% what you look like when you say it.
      2. ) 40% how you sound when you say it.
      3. ) 10% what you say.

He was making fun of people singing in groups whe didn't know the words, but would make up for it with a booming voice and hand gestuers. Not an authoritative coment in any way shape or form, but pretty funny because you see people do this at football games or for church songs all the time.

I am sure more than a few people get carried away by charisma, probobly can't remember what the hell was said five minites later, but it had such POWERFUL delivery
      "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Eddie Izzard is usually always right (we will pretend he has no views on Europe )
        eimi men anthropos pollon logon, mikras de sophias

Comment

Personally, whenever I hear someone giving a really charismatic or passionate speach, I can't help but think of Hitler.
          Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

I have heard that opinion before, and I can't say I am immune to the same thoughts. But then I ask myself is in angry charismatic or happy charismatic. Or is the person pissed off or elated over what he is talking about. Both annoy me but the angry version more.

Good thing about that is ist is almost impossible to pull off that angry strategy systemically anymore, as people will always think of that one guy...
            "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

I like it when speakers use props and tell jokes. Or, just say funny things that they don't realize is a joke. I also like them to look like monkeys and make pouting shapes with their mouth when they talk, and not really move their mouth much. I also think it helps if they have a Texan accent, or at least some sort of mutilated form of a southern accent....
              Monkey!!!

Comment

Anyone that can get to the point in under 3 minutes, using only correct English and without shouting.

-Jam
                1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
                Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

When speaking I go for a very informal tone. Try to have a conversation with the audience as much as possible. The more back and forth the better. I know my material well, so I am able to field any question well. Though I do often get tough questions and have to do my best to spin. I'm getting better at handling the tough question though.

I don't get all emotional or loud, I use a pretty steady tone. I use pauses, but its all conversational, not like an overly dramatized speech.

Being intellectually honest with the audience is really important to me, and I think goes a far way. I don't talk down to the crowd, use jargon, or imply in any way that we aren't all equals. This goes along with the back and forth, and listening in addition to just talking.

Plus I adopt a very relaxed posture, sitting(preferable), or in a stage/podium combo I lean on it in a comfortable posture (detractors would say I'm slouching). Not only does this make me comfortable and put me at ease, I think it does the same for the audience.

As for content, I draw a lot on common sense, logic and personal experience. People (at least the audiences I speak to) are too savvy to be wowed by endless statistics and numbers, they help to butress a logical argument, but only if it makes sense on a personal level. I draw heavily on our common experiences, and refer to my personal experiences often to make my case. Since I am very informal, relaxed, and personable I am often humorous, but always off the cuff, never a canned joke.

I suppose thats the type of speaker I like to hear as well. I don't want a pompous starched shirt delivering a pre-packaged speech.
                  Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

large stadiums, banners, and angry rants and raves... Oh wait... Nevermind...

Comment

Originally posted by Osweld
                      Personally, whenever I hear someone giving a really charismatic or passionate speach, I can't help but think of Hitler.
                      It was probably seen as charismatic in the 30ies, but when I see Hitler´s speeches today, I can´t stop laughing.
                      Blah

Comment

Perhaps because you have an inbuilt bias?
                        Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
                        Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Maybe, but I think all his overdone gestics and aggressive rhetorics would have the same effect today on an audience (that isn´t totally stupid) outside Germany....
                          Blah

Comment

I think that the overall hateful message lends itself to an audience that needs something to hate, ie Wiemar Germany. It is a specialized tool.

It is a very powerful tool, because once you have that anger hooked with rhetoric, you can steer it anyway you want. We saw how that worked...

Comment

Yeah, it has its demagogic value, you know "The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded"....
                              Blah

Comment

Working...
                              X