Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Apolyton Cuisine: What should be in Ecthy's steak sauce / marinade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Monk
      Hey molly bloom, you're kind of cool. Were you aware of that?
      Thank you for the compliment- they're always welcome.

Your avatar always makes me laugh, by the way. It's a very amusing photograph. I like Zopperoni's bug-eyed photo too, and the Finnish president.
      Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Originally posted by molly bloom

Thank you for the compliment- they're always welcome.

Your avatar always makes me laugh, by the way. It's a very amusing photograph. I like Zopperoni's bug-eyed photo too, and the Finnish president.
        You're welcome. I think it was one of the Finnish posters who presented the original picture. Even though I consider Tarja Halonen the best avatar material ever, it's been a couple of months, so I should probably change it. I'm considering my options as we speak.

Comment

One option, if you're willing to cut up the steak (or roast or whatever), is to mix it with some mushrooms, mushroom soup, onion powder, garlic powder, ceyenne pepper, and cooking sherry, cook it in the oven at 350 degrees (farenheit, it probably wouldn't taste very good if you cooked it at 350 celcius) for three hours, and serve it on some egg noodles. Works great for cheap meat.
          <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Originally posted by Japher

You're hopeless -- has your wife ever told you that?
            A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Stroganoff...?
              Monkey!!!

Comment

You're hopeless -- has your wife ever told you that?
                Yes.
                Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Japher

Yes.
                  Ok -- just making sure.

Comment

Fajitas are another good option with poor cuts...

MrFun: She laughed when I asked her that...
                    Monkey!!!

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Ecthelion
                        Heh. One more question: that pounding the crap out of it part... a must?
                        Depends how cheap the meat is (what part of the cow are we talking about) and how long you marinade it. I find with less expensive pieces of meat, either scoring (if marinading) or pounding helps break down the fibers and make the meat more tender.

Let us know how your beer-steak-concoction turned out!!
                        "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
                        "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
                        "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

Hmm.... Maybe he's got food poisoning? I hope not.
                          Some cry `Allah O Akbar` in the street. And some carry Allah in their heart.
                          "The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84

Comment

THYME!!! ROLL IN IN THYME!
                            Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
                            Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
                            Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

I always tell my wife, "everything tastes better with a little thyme." I think she's sick of me cooking with it.
                              "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
                              "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
                              "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

1. The beer idea was one of the best I've ever come across, it was great.

2. Alas, I did roast it a little too long, so it wasn't too soft, the steaks were supposed to be short-roasted. It was pig, BTW, in case I forgot to mention, so pork steaks, the beer thing did work though.

3. As a rub I used a simple mix of black pepper, red pepper (like chilli) and some oregano, well the cheap variant of it. However, after rubbing the first (of 4 small ones) steak, the first amount was used so I took more of it, not considering that all pepper that I add would be equal to the amount of pepper I was going to eat, AND to make it less dry added some ketchup to the pan as well as the unused rub to have some spicy sauce with it. Well I suppose soy sauce is what you guys use as a sauce basis, whatever, it smelt good and tasted nice, at the beginning... then it started burning.

In the end I removed all the sauce and ate the steaks as they were (my rice I had alrady mixed with the "sauce" so I threw it away), and they were still good, just a little rough to chew, but that was OK.

So it's to the beer idea, to the rub as well as the idea of it, to my cooking and to the sauce, that is the steak sauce I made up in the end. As far as the marinade (well, beer) is cocnerned, it worked out well.

Next time I'll try some more marinade-related stuff, there've been some great ideas here.

Thanks all

Comment

Working...
                                X