Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Iranian Conservatives Disquallify Reformist Candidates & Reformists Boycott Gov't

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by monkspider
    I always thought that the fundies weren't too popular with the masses, so this could be their desperate, last-gasp attempt to hold back the tide.
    Hm, would be cool, but from the protests last year I got the impression that it´s still pretty split - pro-democracy on the one side, pro-islamic-fundies on the other.

Would be also interesting to know if there are huge differences between rural and urban people in this aspect.
    Blah

Comment

Hm, would be cool, but from the protests last year I got the impression that it´s still pretty split - pro-democracy on the one side, pro-islamic-fundies on the other.
      The public is overwhelmingly supportive of a more democratic government. That's why their representative legislature is consistently controlled by the Reformists by large majorities - although frustration at undemocratic institutions in preventing reform among the public as well as frustration at the Reformists in not backing the students have recently reduced their power in parliament.

AFAIK the army is still conservative.
      The main problem are the Revolutionary Guards. It's conceivable that a large portion of the army might dissolve. Probably not a majority, but that might be enough. After all, popular revolutions have succeeded without the army completely dissolving. It'll probably be bloody, but that doesn't mean it'll fail.
      "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
      -Bokonon

Comment

Your post seems to imply that the 'Persian' interior ministry (read: military police)was pro-reform. That seems unlikely, is it true?
        "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
        "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
        "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

The BBC is saying it. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't write something blatantly wrong in a major article.

And actually, the military courts were involved in prosecuting policemen who were attacking students.
          "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
          -Bokonon

Comment

Hmmm, that could be interesting, the military police could be used to arrest the government.

"The main problem are the Revolutionary Guards. It's conceivable that a large portion of the army might dissolve. Probably not a majority, but that might be enough. After all, popular revolutions have succeeded without the army completely dissolving. It'll probably be bloody, but that doesn't mean it'll fail."

It'd be really, really, tough. I can fully see a middle eastern Tianamen Square repeating itself here.
            "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

I wish this could be the beginning of a revolution, and I know how the population (specially the young people, whose number is very high in Iran) feels about the fundies, but I doubt it
              Trying to rehabilitateh and contribuing again to the civ-community

Comment

Update:
                Ayatollah Khamenei said that if there were a large number of questionable disqualifications, he would use his constitutional powers to try to redress the situation.

"At this stage we have legal channels and everyone should act based on law," he said in comments carried by state radio.

"If it gets to the point that it becomes sensitive and requires a decision... there is no doubt that I will step in and act in accordance with my judgment and duty, as has been the case in the past."
                BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service
                -Bokonon

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyKP
                  Revolution!
                  Have I mentioned recently how much I like you.
                  Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

It's interesting that Sistani resumed his demand for democratic elections in Iraq yesterday (which he pretty much called off a month ago after he failed to pressure us or the IGC into doing so). Perhaps he was inspired by the actions of Iranian reformists?

I can almost like the guy.
                    -Bokonon

Comment

This is a huge test for Khatami..if he fails in overturning this, faith in him as the leader of the reformists will wane greatly. The question is how unpopular Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei wants to be: he does have the power to overturn the decision, but of course, he put the guys in the council in power, and he got to the top through political plays and not clerical seniority.

The people appear apathetic right now.
                      If you don't like reality, change it! me
                      "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                      "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                      "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Looks like Khatami has taken the plunge:
                        Vice-President Mohammad Sattarifar has warned that the government may resign if there is no resolution, reports say.

The BBC's Jim Muir says this did not amount to a specific threat, but was a clear sign of possible consequences.

Hardliners, however, are urging the unelected body which vets candidates to uphold its ban on more than 2,000 supporters of reform from standing.

The conservative Council of Guardians is now considering appeals against its own vetoes on the would-be candidates.
                        BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service
                        -Bokonon

Comment

Working...
                        X