Bush 'planned Iraq war pre-9/11'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bush 'planned Iraq war pre-9/11'

Keep up-to-date with what's going on in the UK and around the world with the top headlines and breaking news from Yahoo and other publishers.

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Former Treasury Secretary Paul O'Neill charges in a new book that President George W. Bush entered office in January 2001 intent on invading Iraq and was in search of a way to go about it.

O'Neill, fired in December 2002 as part of a shake-up of Bush's economic team, has become the first major insider of the Bush administration to launch an attack on the president.

He likened Bush at Cabinet meetings to "a blind man in a room full of deaf people," according to excerpts from a CBS interview to promote a book by former Wall Street Journal reporter Ron Suskind, "The Price of Loyalty."

To go to war, Bush used the argument that Iraq possessed weapons of mass destruction and had to be stopped in the post-September 11, 2001, world. The weapons have never been found.

"From the very beginning, there was a conviction that Saddam Hussein was a bad person and that he needed to go," O'Neill said in the "60 Minutes" interview scheduled to air on Sunday. "For me, the notion of pre-emption, that the U.S. has the unilateral right to do whatever we decide to do, is a really huge leap."

CBS released excerpts from the interview on Friday and Saturday.

The former treasury secretary and other White House insiders gave Suskind documents that in the first three months of 2001 revealed the Bush administration was examining military options for removing Saddam Hussein, CBS said.

"There are memos," Suskind told CBS. "One of them marked 'secret' says 'Plan for Post-Saddam Iraq.'"

Another Pentagon document entitled "Foreign suitors for Iraqi Oil Field Contracts" talks about contractors from 40 countries and which ones have interest in Iraq, Suskind said.

BENT ON WAR

O'Neill was also quoted in the book as saying the president was determined to find a reason to go to war and he was surprised nobody on the National Security Council questioned why Iraq should be invaded.

"It was all about finding a way to do it. That was the tone of it," said O'Neill. "The president saying 'Go find me a way to do this.'"

White House spokesman Scott McClellan rejected O'Neill's remarks.

"We appreciate his service. While we're not in the business of doing book reviews, it appears that the world according to Mr. O'Neill is more about trying to justify his own opinions than looking at the reality of the results we are achieving on behalf of the American people," he said on Saturday.

O'Neill also said the president did not ask him a single question during their first one-on-one meeting, which lasted an hour. The president's lack of engagement left his advisers with "little more than hunches about what the president might think," O'Neil told "60 Minutes."

Suskind's book, whose full title is "The Price of Loyalty: George W. Bush, the White House, and the Education of Paul O'Neill", uses interviews with O'Neill, dozens of White House insiders and 19,000 documents provided by O'Neill.

O'Neill, who was fired due to disagreements over tax cuts, spent a difficult two years in Washington, joining the Bush administration with a background as a no-nonsense corporate executive.

I was surprised someone else hadn't already posted this.

So what does every one think? Personaly I'd be surprised if the US didn't already have an attack plan 'just-in-case,' not so sure wether i beleive this guy though.
    eimi men anthropos pollon logon, mikras de sophias

What ever reason or excuse the US had for going to Iraq, it made waves in the Middle East.

Just notice that Lybia began disarming, and Syria is suddenly supposedly open for peace talks with Israel.

Comment

I agree with you entirley Sirotnikov, and as I said, i'd be surprised if the US Army didn't already have attack startagies, and I always thought it logical that the US would get rid of Saddam sooner or later since Clinto did that bombing thing around the time of the lewinski affair.

I think, in fact, they were probably just waiting for a global down turn, so that they had some 'insurance' to keep the economy afloat.

Comment

I find the report disturbing, moreso because — at about the same time — the sh*t was getting ready to hit the fan with North Korea.

But, yes, changes are occurring throughout the Middle East. It does nothing to erase the doubts of the method used to achieve them, though, mostly because the changes aren't yet proof positive that the volatile region of the world is going to get better anytime soon.

Time will tell.

Gatekeeper
        "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

Gee... somebody with a big ego who got fired from a high visibility job attacking the person that fired him... what a surprise
          Keep on Civin'
          RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I would be astonished if there were not periodic political discussion of removing Saddam since 1990, and quarterly revisions of contingency plans for doing so. That is what prudent goverments do, dicsuss options for dealing with enimes and problems.
            Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
            Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
            "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
            From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

"From the very beginning, there was a conviction that Saddam Hussein was a bad person and that he needed to go,"

I sure hope so.

I wanted to go into Iraq in 92 because any rational person knew then how this would end. More than a few people thought that we should invade Iraq before 9/11 for a host of reasons, all valid. But bieng a democracy we have to have reasons to hopefully satisfy the populous. So if Bush already had such an action justified in his mind great for him, you should be thankful he at least waited until there was manifest reasons to satisfy all you liberal commies. Thank the 100,000 Iraqis that have died in the last decade waiting for you to find a reason too. Not that it worked, as most of you are not satisfied by any course of action in any direction.
              "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

This could just be sour grapes, but since Iraq and 9-11 really have nothing to do with each other, i'm not sure it really matters when Bush started planning the war.
                "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

Originally posted by Jaguar Warrior
                  This could just be sour grapes, but since Iraq and 9-11 really have nothing to do with each other, i'm not sure it really matters when Bush started planning the war.
                  thats another good point, and one which nobody seems to have told mr O'Neill

Comment

We almost started a war in 1998. Actually we sorta did. (Desert Fox). after the inspectors got kicked out.

These kinds of plans have been in the hopper and looked at since 1991.

Same deal with Kosovo. I was on a 6th fleet exercise that got called early because Admiral wanted to concentrate on kosovo. And that was 2 years before the war started.

Comment

I'm sure there was some general plans drawn up. There are general plans drawn up for a lot of things sitting on the shelf just waiting to be pulled down when necessary.

My only thoughts are that if there was that much serious planning that far in advance, you think they would have planned a better exit or post strategy.
                      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

yes there are a lot of general plans. But going back to the Gulf had been looked at by multiple levels in both adminsitrations for a while. It really could have happened in 1998 as well.

Comment

rah: thats what i thought, maybe they had one planned but never changed it with the times ie. to account for a post 9/11 terrorist infiltration campaighn.

Comment

All that said, I think Simon is a smart guy and i liked his performance as Sec Treas so I'm interested to read the book. But I would not take it as some revalation of deep dark secret that we saw Saddam as a problem in 2001 or in 1998 or in 1995. The second war was just a resolution of various sparring that had been going on for the decade. You may not agree that it was the right resolution. But it should not be a surprise that we had been dealing with him for a while. One option was ALWAYS to go back in.

Comment

It wouldn't be particularily surprising, since iraq has absolutely nothing at all to do wtih 9/11 ...
                              Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Working...
                              X