Should the US "rebuild" Iraq?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should the US "rebuild" Iraq?

We didn't blow all that much of it up. Our military went after their military and Saddam's palaces. Now that Saddam has cheaper housing, who needs those?

The state of delapidation in Iraq was due to decades of neglect under Saddam, why should the US taxpayer pick up the check? Did we pay to rebuild eastern europe after the Soviet Union went belly up? No, the eastern europeans rebuilt eastern europe, just as Iraqis should rebuild Iraq, yes?
    Long time member @ Apolyton
    Civilization player since the dawn of time

Of course, the civilian infrastructure hasn't suffered one bit during both Gulf Wars. Nosirree.
    "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
    "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
    "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

It's called "being nice" maybe you've heard of it. Generally after you invade a nation, you either declare that they're yours, or you help them back up. (Of course, this is in return that we will have their oil for the next 75 billion years, so it's not like we're not getting anything in return.)
      meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

Re: Should the US "rebuild" Iraq?

Originally posted by Lancer
        eastern europeans rebuilt eastern europe,

Rebuilding is the proper word
        Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
        Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Of course, the civilian infrastructure hasn't suffered one bit during both Gulf Wars. Nosirree.
          And certainly not from our sanctions, or from the Iraq-Iran war we fueled...
          "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
          -Bokonon

Comment

Sound like we're all in agreement here...

On the flip side though, we did get Saddam off their backs...

Comment

Originally posted by Lancer
              I guess that's a good enough reason to leave them, and to let them struggle with lack of water, electricity, and most importantly oil extraction...
              "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
              "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
              "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

"I guess that's a good enough reason to leave them, and to let them struggle with lack of water, electricity, and most importantly oil extraction..."

So you're against the garbage trucks?

Comment

We also insured that Saddam's tribe would take control of the Ba'athist Party. And we helped Saddam take out the commie opposition in Iraq. And insured that the Iranians wouldn't throw him out of power.
                  "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                  -Bokonon

Comment

Well OK OK OK

I guess we should rebuild the place.

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor
                      Neither did the decade-long UN sanction initiated by the US of A. No sirree.
                      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

initiated by the USA AND the rest of the world, though some people are suspiciously absent...

Of course we should rebuild Iraq.
                        "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

The yankee invaders still owes money to the south for their destructive war against us. So Iraq can just get in line and wait
                          Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

Take Germany and Japan for instance. Americans bombed them especially Japan and in the end they contributed massively toward reconstruction efforts. Today Germany and Japan are ones of Americans' closest allies although they don't always meet eye to eye.
                            Who is Barinthus?

Comment

Originally posted by Sprayber
                              The yankee invaders still owes money to the south for their destructive war against us. So Iraq can just get in line and wait

We tried reconstructing the South in the 1870s, but thanks to racial/political terrorism from some white Southerners, and corruption/incompetence from some scalawag and carptebagger office holders, it failed.

So what did we do? We reconciled with the South on their terms of white supremacy, with white Republicans betraying the ideals of racial equality.
                              A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Working...
                              X