Fantasy Baseball Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fantasy Baseball Discussion

I know it's early, but let's avoid making changes after the season has started this time. Here are my suggestions:

Lot's of categories with more on offense. The more the merrier even if some are redundant.

Offense

At Bats (not that important)
    Hits
    Runs
    Doubles
    Homers
    RBI
    Stolen Bases
    Total bases
    Avg
    On base percentage (reward sluggers who walk alot)
    Slugging percentage
    OPS? Combined On base and slugging?

If AB's are dropped, IP's could be dropped to maintain more offensive categories.

Pitching

Innings pitched
    wins
    losses
    saves
    ERA
    strike outs
    walks
    hits given up
    homers given up
    K's/9 innings
    K's to walks ratio

That's 12 offense and 11 pitching.

Last time we had to add a minimum number of IP's every week after the season started to prevent people from starting only top closers and maybe a top starter. Is there a way we can avoid doing that this time? If not, that's not a big problem. I think it was a good solution to a sticky problem that really could have ruined the league as everyone dropped many starters and focused on closers and middle relievers.

Last year I thought weekly roster changes would detract from the game play since losing a player to injury early in the week could cost someone a week's matchup but it turned out to be fairly decent. Did anyone lose a week due to injury? Imran opposed daily roster changes because of problems inherent to that option including the participants inability to manage their teams on a daily basis and while I still would like to try daily roster changes, weekly changes didn't cause the problem I predicted. Of course, at the time I thought the ranks were strictly determined by the weekly win-loss record when in fact it was based on categories, i.e., if you went 7-8 for the week, you lost the week but you still got credit for 7 categories with a debit of 8 (am I remembering that right?)

I'm curious how the FFZ league dealt with the problems of daily roster changes. I mean, if you can pick up and drop second tier pitchers and plug them in on a daily basis, you can obviously run up some of the categories like K's, wins, saves, and Innings pitched. But such a strategy can also hurt since lesser pitchers will detract from categories like K/BB, K/9 inn, ERA, losses, and hits and homers given up if we have those categories. And then you could do that with hitters too since teams average about 6 games a week you could plug in a bunch of guys playing on the off days of your other players. Smaller rosters would seem to penalize such a strategy as people might have to drop good players to make room for the daily plug in players.

I think last year was a very good first effort even if the start was a bit rough because of the settings change to prevent the sneakier managers from subverting the concept of actually having pitchers start games and throw more than 1 inning.
    But I'm still concerned with the injury problem ala weekly roster changes even though that didn't seem to make or break anyone's season last year. At this point I'm leaning toward weekly roster changes over daily because I can see some problems with that system too. FFZ vets can chime in to explain if and how these problems were handled...

I obliterated that consolation bracket last year

Last time we had to add a minimum number of IP's every week after the season started to prevent people from starting only top closers and maybe a top starter. Is there a way we can avoid doing that this time? If not, that's not a big problem. I think it was a good solution to a sticky problem that really could have ruined the league as everyone dropped many starters and focused on closers and middle relievers.
    Minimum Innings pitched But as long as we agree to it BEFORE the season starts, I don't see the problem.

Last year I thought weekly roster changes would detract from the game play since losing a player to injury early in the week could cost someone a week's matchup but it turned out to be fairly decent. Did anyone lose a week due to injury? Imran opposed daily roster changes because of problems inherent to that option including the participants inability to manage their teams on a daily basis and while I still would like to try daily roster changes, weekly changes didn't cause the problem I predicted.
    Doesn't make a difference to me, weekly changes save everybody time and everyone has the same chance to be affected by injury. But right now I have more than enough time to make daily changes, so I won't complain either way.

I think last year was a very good first effort even if the start was a bit rough because of the settings change to prevent the sneakier managers from subverting the concept of actually having pitchers start games and throw more than 1 inning.

Having more than 20 catagories is too many, there are just too many things you have to worry about each week (or each day)

For Hitting...
    Hits
    Runs
    HRs
    RBI
    SB
    TB
    AVG
    OPS
    and maybe walks

For Pitching...
    W
    L
    SV
    ERA
    K
    WHIP
    Hits Allowed
    K/BB

but thats just my idea....

Comment

Re: Fantasy Baseball Discussion

Originally posted by Berzerker
      Offense
      My vote: batting average, OPS, hits, runs scored, RBI, SB, walks, total bases, HR. (If any of those can be cut, then cut TB.)

Pitching
      Wins, losses, saves, holds (if possible), ERA, strikeouts, WHIP, K/BB, complete games.

and while I'm at it... positions:

Position players: C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, CF, OF, OF, Util. (Basically, this prevents people from taking three corner outfielders, like I did last year. )
      Pitchers: SP, SP, SP, SP, RP, RP, RP (or P).
      Total number of players that can be carried at any one time: 20 (16 starters, 4 on the bench)

Same as SS. I don't mind minimum IP, so long as we agree on what it'll be before the season. How about 18 IP as a minimum?

Last year I thought weekly roster changes would detract from the game play since losing a player to injury early in the week could cost someone a week's matchup but it turned out to be fairly decent. Did anyone lose a week due to injury? Imran opposed daily roster changes because of problems inherent to that option including the participants inability to manage their teams on a daily basis and while I still would like to try daily roster changes, weekly changes didn't cause the problem I predicted. Of course, at the time I thought the ranks were strictly determined by the weekly win-loss record when in fact it was based on categories, i.e., if you went 7-8 for the week, you lost the week but you still got credit for 7 categories with a debit of 8 (am I remembering that right?)
      no real preference here. Being the lazy bum that I am, I lean toward weekly changes, but I can handle daily changes.
      oh god how did this get here I am not good with livejournal

Comment

I'll trade you the Texas Rangers, in total, for a starting pitcher and a bucket of hot wings.
        From that point I'll be ahead of current ownership.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Fantasy Baseball!!! Woohoo!!!

I agree with everything Vlad said.

Also, I wouldn't mind daily roster changes (especially after Jeter got injured in game one ).
          "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
          "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
          "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

But as long as we agree to it BEFORE the season starts, I don't see the problem.

I saw a potential cheat and wanted to remedy it. I did for the league .

weekly roster changes

I'd keep. I'm playing in Apolyton Fantasy Hockey and daily roster changes are a PAIN in the ass! Baseball would be even more so with rain delays affecting when pitchers would be starting, etc.

Offensive Catagories

Hits
            Runs
            HRs
            RBIs
            SB
            TB
            BA
            OBP
            SLG

Pitching Catagories

Wins
            Loses
            Saves
            ERA
            SOs
            K/BB
            WHIP
            Hits Allowed
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Oops, I forgot all about the positions. I like 10 since it's easier to do averages but 9 is cool for better realism (yeah I know, realism in a fantasy league?). That's an interesting twist there Vlad, having CF singled out. And we had holds in one of the open leagues I joined last year and I still don't know what the hell a hold is but I won that category anyway

I just want plenty of categories, that's the only thing I'm a stickler on. I understand the opposition to too much redundancy, so let's try to get categories that provide greater variability. Holds offer a nice addition since in our league last year middle relievers were mostly ignored and thet deserve some attention. Offensive walks as opposed to just OPS reflect sluggers who are consistently pitched around.

My revised list, asterisks next to my lowest priorities

offense

hits
              runs
              doubles *
              homers
              RBI's
              stolen bases
              total bases
              average
              walks or on base average
              slugging or OPS

10 categories or 12 if we have walks, obs, slugging, and ops. If there is a better offensive category, I'd gladly vote for it over one of these 4. But walks by itself avoids being redundant if we have obs or ops and relieves some of the burden of having a slugger like Bonds who pitchers avoid so often.

Pitching

Innings pitched or weekly minimum (I think pitchers who go deeper into the game should be rewarded)

wins
              losses
              saves
              holds (a possibility there) *
              ERA
              strike outs
              walks
              whip
              homers given up *
              K's/9 innings
              K's to walks ratio

That's more pitching categories than hitting, but we could do away with walks or K/BB's. Whip kind of covers both hits and walks (I forgot about whip when making my list). I'd like to see opposition homers as a category if it's possible.

Comment

Oh yeah, I was thinking we could have 2 leagues, one with weekly roster changes and the 2nd with daily. That way people who love one or the other would have a league to join, I'd join both.

Comment

That's an interesting twist there Vlad, having CF singled out.

Well we could have LF, CF, RF .

And we had holds in one of the open leagues I joined last year and I still don't know what the hell a hold is but I won that category anyway

It's such a bull**** stat .

I'd like to see opposition homers as a category if it's possible.

Eh... I'd prefer an 'opposition batting average' if it is available.
                  “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                  - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Doesn't whip cover that? Holds were cool, otherwise the middle relievers are almost completely ignored. Of course, they do get some wins and losses and if you have a good pitcher like Donnely or L Hawkins, they boost era and k's. But I just don't see why we should devote 1 category to saves and ignore the set up guys.

Oh well, this is all about whittling it down to 18-20 decent categories.

Btw folks, consider this thread the "I want to play" announcement thread.

Comment

I don't know about having LF, CF, and RF, we could but I was in a league that did that and the only reason we didn't have major problems was big rosters. Btw, I'd like to have more than 4 open spots on the roster. We don't have to go all out and have like 25 spots, but 21 or 22 would be nice.

Comment

I am easy, whatever stats make everyone happy is what I will play with. I just need to know in advance so I can get my draft strategy based on categories.
                        I like daily changes for baseball as long as there is a position limit.

Comment

I like bigger rosters too, 22-26 is a good area.

Comment

Dont use any stats which are functions of others; the computer doesnt handle them well. In other words, dont use K/ BB, use strike outs and walks.
                            "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

Vlad, what's a position limit?

LoA, what do you mean by the computer having trouble?

Comment

Working...
                              X