"Peace Clause" on Agrisubsidies in WTO Expired

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tripledoc
    Agriculture is vastly more polluting than the industrial sector. Instead of affecting the air, it polutes the water. That is why some European countries are rinsing thier drinking water through radioactive carbon.
    Radioactive carbon?

You are talking about argi-businesses where more and more chemicals are needed every year, because the land gets progressively worse and the pests becoming more resistant. You are not talking about third world farmers who are too poor to afford synthetic fertilizers and pesticides.
    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
      You are not talking about third world farmers who are too poor to afford synthetic fertilizers and pesticides.
      I don't know for thirld world farmers, but I know that Britanny relies strongly on natural fertilizers (pig crap), and there is a significant nitrates problem there. Natural fertilizers are not necessary good for your health.
      (duh, it's CRAP )
      "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
      "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
      "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

The nitrate problem is caused by an excess use of certain kinds of fertilisers and an excess use of water. You get the same problem with synthetic ones, and that caused a very strange event in the Chesapeake Bay in 1997
        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

In the US, both parties court the farm vote thus it would be hard for one party to end the subsidies. There would have to be a bi-partisan consensus on this before anything could be done. However, achieving such a consensus in today's vastly overheated political climate is literally impossible.
          http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

Working...
          X