No announcement yet.

Top Ten World Powers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• who's to say Germany couldn't eat either of these?

in 1939

Comment

• I think post-modernism is about the spleen in the face of absurdity; i.e. capitalism's driving force is profit, which is quantitative in its nature, and thus necessarily unsatisfying.

To you.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ecthelion
        1914:

Germany
        USA
        UK
        France
        Japan
        Austria
        Russia
        Turkey
        Argentina

Wow! I didn't know that they won that war? Imagine that, Imperial Germany being so magnanimous in victory that they gave back Alsace-Lorraine, gave away western Prussia and Danzig, invited allied troops to hang out in the Rhineland, and donated millions of marks to the allied countries. Their generosity could only have been exceeded by that of their gracious ally, Austria.
        "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr Strangelove

Wow! I didn't know that they won that war? Imagine that, Imperial Germany being so magnanimous in victory that they gave back Alsace-Lorraine, gave away western Prussia and Danzig, invited allied troops to hang out in the Rhineland, and donated millions of marks to the allied countries. Their generosity could only have been exceeded by that of their gracious ally, Austria.
          A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

• 1. USA
            2. Germany
            3. France
            4. UK
            5. Japan
            6. China
            7. Russia

The pickings become pretty slim after this. Yea, India is big, but it hasn't done anything significant in the last century. Italy would have an excellent chance of defeating it in a war.

And I do realize that 2-6 can be in pretty much any order, depending on what you're taking into consideration. USA is a clear 1, and Russia is a clear 7.

[insert obligatory arguments about how China and India have lots of people and kick ass]

Who would you pick to win in a fight: an Abrams, or 50 virtually untrained people, thirty of whom have rifles?
            Last edited by Jaguar; January 7, 2004, 23:00.
            "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

• Two that should be at least in the top 15 are Brazil and Switzerland, but the former is only a "regional power" and the latter is "strong but not at all influential."
              meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

• Yea, India is big, but it hasn't done anything significant in the last century.
                Though its now beginning to suck up US jobs.

India is quickly becoming one of my favorite nations
                Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
                Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

• India has a great education progam, it ain't doing to bad.

Bought time they started teaching the billions of ppl they have there. There are probably some really awesome minds amongst that hell hole.

I have come to like S. Korea as well, and I think Hong Kong is a good example of what happens when you unleash the minds of the Chinese.

The whole Asian content seems to be an exploit are of expertise...

Personally, I like the fact that skilled labor jobs are finally heading that way apart from sweat shop jobs.

I am in Manufacturing, so it doesn't really affect me more than it already has...
                  Monkey!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by GePap
                    The US, France and the UK are alone in the ability to send significant military forces overseas by themselves- by this definiton only they are world powers- with the uS way ahead. If the ability that counts it o vaporize any spot on earth with only a half hour notice, only the US and Russia count.

The fact is that military definitons for a great power are not that good- after all, in 1941 the US was , besides the navy, a military second rate power. China's eocnomy is the rising star, and all of east asia is slowly gravitating towards it.
                    13th for the records. Yes 12 countrys had a better military than us in Dec. 1939. By Dec 6th 1941 We were still way way behined the other 12. The B-17, 24, 25 were just starting to be built. Our best fighter was just starting, P-38. The P-40 was our main airplane of the day. The Navy had some F4F Wildcats. In 3 years 8 mos later, we were the biggest and best military in the world.

Comment

• India has a great education progam, it ain't doing to bad.
                      It has a great tertiary education programme, because of the caste system.

But it still has a dismal literacy rate, especially for women.

China, on the other hand, took the opposite approach, and concentrated on primary education. Who's doing better?

Comment

Last edited by Ted Striker; August 3, 2020, 22:19.
                        We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Originally posted by Japher
                          India has a great education progam, it ain't doing to bad.

Bought time they started teaching the billions of ppl they have there. There are probably some really awesome minds amongst that hell hole.

I have come to like S. Korea as well, and I think Hong Kong is a good example of what happens when you unleash the minds of the Chinese.
                          In the big cities India is doing OK, but go out in the what we would call small towns and they have not change much in the last 50 years.

Remember Hong Kong had the British for 97 years to help out. And just last year the boys in .Peking try to impose hard rule.

Comment

• USA is so powerful it needs more slots
                            I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• Originally posted by Sandman
                              But it still has a dismal literacy rate, especially for women.
                              However one does have to consider that, especially in Southern India, some schools don't teach Hindi but only their own local languages.

And yes, much of the Indian population isn't that bright, the ones that are (and there are PLENTY, trust me) are incredibly bright.
                              Which is why I get such amusement when Americans try to protray Indians as being backwards and all they can do is run a fastfood chain etc etc....

Aren't I jingoistic about India?
                              Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
                              Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

• Originally posted by Comrade Tassadar

However one does have to consider that, especially in Southern India, some schools don't teach Hindi but only their own local languages.

And yes, much of the Indian population isn't that bright, the ones that are (and there are PLENTY, trust me) are incredibly bright.
                                Which is why I get such amusement when Americans try to protray Indians as being backwards and all they can do is run a fastfood chain etc etc....

Aren't I jingoistic about India?
                                Maybe because your Indian

Comment

Working...
                                X