Top Ten World Powers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1. Japan
    2. USA (with Israel in fact unofficial part of USA)
    3. Muslim union
    4. France
    5. UK
    6. Germany
    7. Canada
    8. Italy
    9. China
    10. India

Notes:
    a. Japan is more stable economicaly and 1st place in science.
    b. I think that Russian economical stats are fake.
    c. Muslim countries are actually one union.
    d. Israel actually makes what USA wants. Also USA would hardly withstand terrorism without Israel.
    e. If i were asked about best "performers" of 2003 i would choose Japan Poland and France.
    money sqrt evil;
    My literacy level are appalling.

Comment

• Originally posted by Oncle Boris

I've had some courses on European politics 1960-1990, and the picture I got from that is that France and Germany have more influence in the EU than Britain. I might be wrong, but I'm willing to hear you- if only you bother to say something.

France has an history of being *****y with the US since De Gaulle, and I see their influence in leading subtle anti-US (only to the extent that both are part of NATO) diplomacy as more important than Britain being US' dog.
      we all know france and germany run the EU, that's never been in question, but why does that matter? the EU is not (and (hopefully) will never be) a state. in the world at large britain has more influence than france, and certainly far more than china. this is by virtue of the fact we used to own rather a lot of it

france might be trying to frustrate US policy but the cold war is over. there are no longer two blocks opposing each other, the world is led by america, more or less and however much you may dislike this, it's simply the way it is.

you assertion that the UK is 'dead' is just idiotic.
      "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

• Originally posted by muxec
        1. Japan
        2. USA (with Israel in fact unofficial part of USA)
        3. Muslim union
        4. France
        5. UK
        6. Germany
        7. Canada
        8. Italy
        9. China
        10. India

Notes:
        a. Japan is more stable economicaly and 1st place in science.
        b. I think that Russian economical stats are fake.
        c. Muslim countries are actually one union.
        d. Israel actually makes what USA wants. Also USA would hardly withstand terrorism without Israel.
        e. If i were asked about best "performers" of 2003 i would choose Japan Poland and France.
        "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

• Originally posted by BeBro

Oh yes, in case of the first SARS crisis they proved their ability to react quickly very well...Everyone fears that....

their authoritarian state clearly makes it harder for them to respond to domestic emergencies. Not clear that this indicates lesser power. France also had some problems dealing with domestic emergencies last year, ISTR
          "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

• Originally posted by BeBro

It was a very short campaign, so I think outside support hadn´t played the big role there. The main reason for the Chinese failure were the bad preparations on their side. IIRC they did not even use airpower to support the attack.
            outside support didnt matter in terms of resupply. It presumably did impact the level of armament, state of preparedness of the NVA. And does incompetent performace by the PLA in 1979 necessarily indicate similar performance today? US armed forces had some real problems in 1979-1980, ISTR

Comment

• Originally posted by C0ckney

we all know france and germany run the EU, that's never been in question, but why does that matter? the EU is not (and (hopefully) will never be) a state. in the world at large britain has more influence than france, and certainly far more than china. this is by virtue of the fact we used to own rather a lot of it

france might be trying to frustrate US policy but the cold war is over. there are no longer two blocks opposing each other, the world is led by america, more or less and however much you may dislike this, it's simply the way it is.

you assertion that the UK is 'dead' is just idiotic.
              Most of Europe is dead- I did not only mean UK, but France too. Their relative power can only decline. When Asia truly rises, in 50-100 years, most countries in Europe will be insignificant, minor powers.
              I don't think the UK has more influence in its former colonies than France has- mainly because UK's influence is limited to the retarded Africa, as is France's. UK's true jewels- Canada and India- don't care much about them anymore. But since the question was about power, which includes influence, my point was that France has more experience and more successes in bringing other countries with them against the US block in diplomatic talks. The UK's ability to discuss with Germany or Russia, for now at least, is limited, because of their 'duty' towards America.
              Say what you wish, but I don't believe my reasoning to be idiotic.
              In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

• Joins Lord of the Mark in Laughing at muxec's Post

What have you been smoking Muxec?

First off Japan has a smaller Population, Economy and Military then the US. Second off they have a major regional Rival (China) and much of the region still hates them for the atrocites comited in WWII. And it even lacks a Nuclear arsenal (as far as we know). If by stable you ment stagnent then Yes your correct. And what do you base them being ahead tecnologicaly on, simply the fact they make/use more consumer electronics?

As for Isreal, its the largest Drain on US influence at the monement, both Financialy and Diplomaticaly the US gives Isreal Huge support and recives basicaly nothing in return. If you want to consider the US to be a "partner" with anyone it would have to be with Canada and to a lesser extenet Mexico and several Central American Countries. These are both Hugly more helpfull to the US economy and world influence then Isreal is. I cant even imagine what your statment on surviving Terroism means.

Muslim Countries are not united as should be obvious, the consept of Pan-Arabism has waned quite a bit from the high of the 80's but even then it was never an atempt to fuse all thouse states into something new, rather a movment to act coperativly. Far less ambitious then the changes taking place in the EU. The only solidarity that Arab Countries display is in intermitent OPEC gouging and Condeming Isreal all the time, besides that their at each others throats all the time. They have no power Projection Capability and are light years behind tecnologicaly and culturaly. Only Iran has real Potential due to their Higly westernized Culture (Thanky you Ataturk!). Only their hated theocratic goverment holds them back but I predict this will in the next 2 Decades and their will be a Massive realignment to a VERY pro-US goverment, it will be a if the Sha had never been deposed.

Russian Economic statistics though perhaps not the most acurate in the world are still correct in showing that their on a rebound after suffering massive economic Implosions assosiated with the Fall of the Soviet Union and various scandels and market panics that followed. Their intilectual Capital is likly whats going to bail them out if they can use it before it drains away. Russias shrinking population will never be large enough to even Rival the rest of Europe let alone the US. Only their Nuclear arsenal and influence with other Slavic peoples of Eastern Europe (and anyone who still thinks the USSR was a good thing) keep them on the Global Power chart. In reality their far worse off then say Brazil or Australia.
                Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators, the creator seeks - those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest. - Thus spoke Zarathustra, Fredrick Nietzsche

Comment

• Impaler, I doubt Iran will ever be pro-US, even if the theocracy is overthrown. They might as well align in China's orbit. I think right now they are selling most of their oil to China anyway.
                  In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

• and Japan is irrelevant politically

Comment

• Originally posted by Impaler[WrG]
                      Muslim Countries are not united as should be obvious, the consept of Pan-Arabism has waned quite a bit from the high of the 80's but even then it was never an atempt to fuse all thouse states into something new, rather a movment to act coperativly. Far less ambitious then the changes taking place in the EU. The only solidarity that Arab Countries display is in intermitent OPEC gouging and Condeming Isreal all the time, besides that their at each others throats all the time. They have no power Projection Capability and are light years behind tecnologicaly and culturaly. Only Iran has real Potential due to their Higly westernized Culture (Thanky you Ataturk!). Only their hated theocratic goverment holds them back but I predict this will in the next 2 Decades and their will be a Massive realignment to a VERY pro-US goverment, it will be a if the Sha had never been deposed.
                      I missed something, but wasn't Mustafa Kemal Ataturk a Turk and the creator of modern Turkey?

Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
                      Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
                      Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

Joins Lord of the Mark in Laughing at muxec's Post

What have you been smoking Muxec?

First off Japan has a smaller Population, Economy and Military then the US. Second off they have a major regional Rival (China) and much of the region still hates them for the atrocites comited in WWII. And it even lacks a Nuclear arsenal (as far as we know). If by stable you ment stagnent then Yes your correct. And what do you base them being ahead tecnologicaly on, simply the fact they make/use more consumer electronics?

As for Isreal, its the largest Drain on US influence at the monement, both Financialy and Diplomaticaly the US gives Isreal Huge support and recives basicaly nothing in return. If you want to consider the US to be a "partner" with anyone it would have to be with Canada and to a lesser extenet Mexico and several Central American Countries. These are both Hugly more helpfull to the US economy and world influence then Isreal is. I cant even imagine what your statment on surviving Terroism means.

Russian Economic statistics though perhaps not the most acurate in the world are still correct in showing that their on a rebound after suffering massive economic Implosions assosiated with the Fall of the Soviet Union and various scandels and market panics that followed. Their intilectual Capital is likly whats going to bail them out if they can use it before it drains away. Russias shrinking population will never be large enough to even Rival the rest of Europe let alone the US. Only their Nuclear arsenal and influence with other Slavic peoples of Eastern Europe (and anyone who still thinks the USSR was a good thing) keep them on the Global Power chart. In reality their far worse off then say Brazil or Australia.
                        I agree with you that muxecs statement about japan was particularly silly, and the muslim world is not a united power, my disagreement with him about Israel is that it is a seperate power and does not act as extension of the US. I dont want this threadjacked into another discussion of Israel, but lets point out that US aid to Israel is relatively small (regular annual aid is $3 billion, and has been stable for over 20 years) and is mainly spent on US produced armaments. Diplomatically is at least arguable - varies with Israeli admin, the state of the peace process, etc. Lets not be so short sighted as to consider the situation of the last 3 years the entire relationship. And there are many offsetting factors, which i will not go into to keep this on topic.

Comment

• so how good is Germany nowadays?

Comment

• Germany is Ok, except for crap places like Potsdam.
                            Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
                            Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
                            Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

. Only Iran has real Potential due to their Higly westernized Culture (Thanky you Ataturk!).
                              what have YOU been smoking impaler?? Ataturk was a Turk, and Iran/Persia hasnt been ruled by Turkey in at least the last 500 years. Certainly not in the time of Ataturk or since. Maybe the late Shah was influenced by Ataturk, but thats debatable.

Comment

• Thank you Atagerm.

Comment

Working...
                                X