No announcement yet.

The NASA LANDER HAS MADE IT!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sprayber, we do not explore space at the expense of taking care of our people and world. We give millionaries tax cuts at the expense of taking care of our people and our world. If we didn't explore space, we'd still be letting the rich and the lazy turn our planet into a cesspool.
    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

• Originally posted by Ramo

I didn't say that all of NASA is useless, but exploration isn't particularly useful.
      otoh, think how much more expensive a manned mission would be. Cant we think of how much we're saving by launching robotic missions?
      "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

• That 8 MB jpeg is really detailed, especially for the items that are closer to the rover. This is cool stuff!
        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• Go NASA! They really needed this one to work.

I didn't realize how godawfully bad the success rate for Mars missions was. Wow. All those Russian probes, some of ours, the Japanese, and apparently Beagle2 as well.

-Arrian
          grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

• Doh.. It seems they removed the largest (40mb) full resolution TIFF image from the page just a few minutes after I posted.. the link was just below the 8mb one. Oh well, I hope they put it back once the site traffic allows.

Comment

• Nova on PBS is supposed to have a special tonite with the folks from JPL and some new updated shots.

Very cool indeed. And I think they're launching the second one on Jan 24, and hopefully that will be equally successful.
              "Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.

Comment

• Oh, that's right, I remember seeing a promo for that show, Jac. 8pm EST?

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jac de Molay
                  Nova on PBS is supposed to have a special tonite with the folks from JPL and some new updated shots.

Very cool indeed. And I think they're launching the second one on Jan 24, and hopefully that will be equally successful.
                  No, that's when it's landing.
                  Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

• Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                    Sprayber, we do not explore space at the expense of taking care of our people and world. We give millionaries tax cuts at the expense of taking care of our people and our world. If we didn't explore space, we'd still be letting the rich and the lazy turn our planet into a cesspool.
                    Didnt we waste money on space before Bush was president? Yes I think we did.
                    Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

• Originally posted by Sprayber
                      Didnt we waste money on space before Bush was president? Yes I think we did.
                      Mine was a general comment, not directed at any specific Administration.

Comment

• No, that's when it's landing.
                        Ahh.. thanks for the clarification

Oh, that's right, I remember seeing a promo for that show, Jac. 8pm EST?
                        Yeah..at 8pm. I think they're replaying the sunday special, Mars: Dead or Alive and then having a live follow-up.
                        "Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.

Comment

• We almost went to see the 2nd launch last year, but they changed the date and time so it didn't work out for us.

Comment

• Too bad goverments don't take the inititive to share more in space exploration beyond the joke that is the space station. With the combined resources of the leading nations, something worth the effort could be done. I'm not against space exploration at all. But for now they are talking a lot, spending a lot but not doing all that much. If something exciting was happening then maybe the spending a lot wouldnt be as bad.
                            Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

• I saw the Mars, Dead or Alive? special, and it looked like the second launch was pretty close to not happening at all, Che. They had all sorts of problems.

Too bad goverments don't take the inititive to share more in space exploration beyond the joke that is the space station.
                              Which is apparently leaking. More cooperation would probably be good, although there is something to be said for competition.

-Arrian

Comment

• Originally posted by Sprayber
                                It's also funny how people get so excited about possible water on Mars when our own water here on Earth probably needs just a little more attention. I really hate to turn into a an enviro fundie or a welfare fundie but damn man, we have all kinds of problems here where we live. Does going to Mars solve those problems? Please enlighten me, I may be wrong.
                                By that reckoning, there would never be any space travel as there will always be problems, will there not? In any case, like all R&D, without taking risks in the first place, there can never be any pay-off.

In any case, like, we would otherwise spend the money on worthwhile causes Besides, whenever someone complains that the government is spending money on something, they are usually complaining that the government is not spending it on them!

Comment

Working...
                                X