Chicago - Back on Top

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Krazy:

The homicide rate soared to an unofficial 347 last year in the City of Brotherly Love, a jump from 288 in 2002
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by Albert Speer
      Sava:

but the president has no real influence over police whereas the mayor does so you can blame the mayor.

apparently, philly had a 20% increase in murders since last year. i would think that's notable, krazyhorse, unless the journalists are trying to hide something?

but what a great way to begin the new year...
      That might be counting murders in surrounding counties. My figure is for the city alone.

2002 had 321 in Metropolitan Statistical Area of philly

Either that or the philly paper is full of ****, since the cnn article gave us the highest increase.
      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Killing it is the new killing it
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Anyhow, philly would have to have 700 homicides a year to match our rate.

Philly is full of ***** wannabes who couldn't hack it in Bawlmer.
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

288 was the non-metropolitan city in 02. it's 347 for 03. we had a 20% increase but its a bit twisted because 02 had the fewest homicides in decades so it the percentage increase seems a bit exaggerated. and philly itself has far less than 1.5 million. we're borderline 1 million I think. white flight has turned into yellow, brown, and black flight as the suburbs like Cheltenham get filled with minorities fleeing the city.
          "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Sava:

but the president has no real influence over police whereas the mayor does so you can blame the mayor.
            the president is the COMMANDER IN CHIEF... He is the most powerful influential man on law enforcement and the justice system in the country...
            apparently, philly had a 20% increase in murders since last year. i would think that's notable, krazyhorse, unless the journalists are trying to hide something?
            sure it's notable... but find out the root cause... is the mayor responsible? sure, he has some influence over police procedures... but perhaps the fact that the ECONOMY HAS SUCKED has a lot to do with it. Poverty is the single greatest root cause of violence and crime. How much influence does Mayor Streets have over the national economy?

but what a great way to begin the new year...
            actually, it's the END of the old year... the murders didn't all happen during the New Years.
            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

288 was the non-metropolitan city in 02. it's 347 for 03. we had a 20% increase but its a bit twisted because 02 had the fewest homicides in decades so it the percentage increase seems a bit exaggerated. and philly itself has far less than 1.5 million. we're borderline 1 million I think. white flight has turned into yellow, brown, and black flight as the suburbs like Cheltenham get filled with minorities fleeing the city.
              a) I'm pretty sure the philly inquirer is full of **** on this one. They ****ed up and counted metropolitan homicides instead of city homicides, probably (given that cnn has Balto as the highest increase)

b) The city of Philly had 1.52 mil in 2002 according to that same FBI report, so unless you're claiming that 500 000 people left last year, you're full of ****.

c) We're number 1. Bal-ti-more! Bal-ti-more!
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

woo! Chicago!
                B♭3

Comment

The city of Philadelphia has 1.4+ million in 2002 according to the census bureau*. The Metropolitan area of Philadelphia includes 4.9 million souls, and the MSA (Metropolitan Statistical Area), which includes Philly, Atlantic City, Wilmington, and Vineland-Millville-Bridgeton NJ comes to 5.999 million.

*Unlinked, but it's not that hard to find.

Comment

What we're good at:

EDIT: Baltimore (670 000 people) and DC (600 000 or so IIRC) together have as many murders a year as all of Canada does.
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Jon Miller
                      Jon Miller-
                      I AM.CANADIAN
                      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Hope they're all counted in the same way... In Sweden we had a right chuckle when an Interpol survey showed we had the biggest murder rate in the western world, which had increased by a factor of ten in the last decade. Turns out the new "statistics" were due to a misunderstanding of the local counting methods (something about all suspicious deaths being counted as homicides until proven not to be) and the real murder rate had been constant at the level from 10 years ago.
                        Världsstad - Dom lokala genrenas vän
                        Mick102, 102,3 Umeå, Måndagar 20-21

Comment

Isn't there a forum rule against soccer-bashing? If not, I want one now

Soccer is the best sport ever discovered by the mankind. Ever. Ever.
                          Trying to rehabilitateh and contribuing again to the civ-community

Comment

Sava:

the murders didn't all happen during the New Years.
                            I was referring to the two deaths i quoted from which occured at 1 am and some time before 2:50 am.

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                              DC, Detroit and Baltimore are the top 3 and are head and shoulders above the competition.
                              Hmm...

I grew up in Michigan, and visit there often. And now live 30-45 minutes away from both Baltimore and DC.

Or maybe I'm behind it all.
                              Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Working...
                              X