My plants and my parents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My plants and my parents

When I was a kid, I used to love nature.I used to take biology books to children-creche, watching the pictures and trying to read the stuff, and up till the 6th grade at my primary school, bioology was my biggest hobby. I had several interests. Some may be strange. i loved snails. Used to take a lot of them to my home. They were everywhere. I liked mushrooms, and I liked all sort of plants, and obviously, spent all my money on new ones.

I really cared for them, been watering, buying some stuff for them, watching them grow or bloom. There was no free space by the windows. occasionally i would take my plants to the corridor and make a "jungle" of them, so that my canaree could "play" in it. He wasn't so keen on it, by I thought He should. Nevermind. My parents were a bit annoyed at it I think. My father used to live in a rural suburb and thinks of himself as of a bruilliant gardener - and brilliant everything else. The problem was that his gardening of plants was simply cuting a part of it and sticking it to uh uh the black thing that covers the earth, and throwing away the rest. Of course some plants didn't survive that.

But He did something worse, as once He decided to deal with all my plants. I was willing to help actually, as I believed my father knows what He's doing. But it quickly turned out He's just about to throw half of my plants away. I cried to stop him, but it was no use. He packed the plants in a big plastic bag and placed it next to the door, where they waited to be thrown out. I tried to smuggle the bag into my room and tell I threw it out, but it failed. I cried, I tried to protest, but it was all no use. I decided that I'll wait until they're thrown out, and get them out of the trash. But I could not do it when my parents were at home, i had to wait until they were out. It was late, and very hot, summer. The trash contener was extremly hot, I could barely touch it, and it stank. I was so ashamed to go into it, but had no choice. Unfortunatelly, my plants were already covered with trash, and they were in shreds. I got out just one plant. It was a very nice yuka, one of my favourites. I got it for free from one seller.
    I was too scared someone could see me, and I had no idea what I would do with the plants anyway, I could not bring them back to home. So I left the others. And all those plants had their history. Like a flower I bought for my mother's birthsday. Plants I got for my birthsday. A plant I bought at my grandma's funeral as to remind me of her. But my father didn't ask which flowers He is throwing away. Bah, He didn't know. Like there was a cactus with such nice bloom, that when it bloomed, and it bloomed every summer, my parents would take it to their room. When I told my father He threw away this plant as well, He claimed it is not true. But it was. He mistook it for another. When it comes to my yuka, I took it to my friend and asked Him to take care of it. She was in a bad state and started dieing, but after some time it regained strenght. My friend moved to another quater and it's ages since I saw my yuka.

My father thinks He can do anything in the house, He has no idea of one's properity. Like when my mum was out, He delt with her shoes and threw out half of them, including some recently bought in France.

Or He bought my skis on X-mas, just to give it later to my cousin, not asking me. I would give them! I had another. But it was mean, as well as gicing my clothes to my sis, not asking me about opinion.

Also, my father did something similar to my goldfish. It was dieing, once it seemed it was alive, once it was dead. Finally He got enerved at it and thre it, though it was still alive, to the trashcan and I could not take it out.

Since the time of my plants and yuka accident, I lost most of my interest in plants. I can never really step up after a fall.My plants were mistreated by my parents also in another ways, accidentally or intentionally.

My Fikus plant started dieing. There were only two leaves left. I bought a lot of stuff for it, You know, and was heading home with it, but when I reached it my fikus was gone. My father just crushed it into several parts and threw to the trash can.

Much earlier, my mum murdered one my cactus. you see, they didn't like me to water plants in the big room - there was tv next to the window, and they were afraid I would pour water on it. It was my mum's task. Ammongst plants there was a cactus. A really annoying one, its niddles (or whatever), if got into your skin, remained there, aching tremendously. It was hidden in the corner of the room, behind the courtain, which was behind the tv, and not visible. When I finally decided I would water the flowers also in the big room, it turned out my cactus is dead, died of thirst. My mum said that she hated it so much she never watered it.

Also, perhaps the nicest plant I ever bought was a plant I bought for my father. It was absolutely great. And it had a pleasant touch as well, and it had nice, dark colours. It's name in Polish is Strzalka I think. It soon became my favourite plant, and I cared about it. But we left on our summer holidays, and when we came back, the endings of its long leafs were brown. Just the endings. But my father decided it looks bad, and cut off every leaf with brown ending. Well, three leafs were left. There were several plants there and most were left without any leaf. Bah, He even didn't trouble himself to cut entire leaf, he left parts of (You know, the long thing that keeps it in place).
    moreover, though this plant likes dark, He placed it in the sun "so that I't grow". I took it to my room to keep eye on it and tried to keep it alive. It was almost hopeless, but it started growing back. But then I had to leave for my studies. the plant was dead when I returned.

On the other hand, my mum tended to overwater my flowers sometimes, and when I was gone for a long time, occasionally I'd see some my cactus spoil. And the same happened today. But it is REAL tragedy. It is my beloved cactus. It is some 18 years old. I bought it when I was three or so. And it dies! My oldest plant! My beloved cactus! It is not completely dead. Perhaps it'll survive, cactuses can survive a lot.

I have a cactus I got for my 18th birthsday. Once it started dieing out of the blue. It seemed it is completely dead and I was about to throw it out, but I stambled and fell, and my cactus fell as well. i thought; great, now it's dead for 100%. But I looked closely and noticed a tiny point of green still left in the middle of it. I decided to keep it, and it survived and today it's completely all right.

I hope this will survive, but it looks bad. It's yellow, and the middle of it is even brownish. Probably it already spoilt inside. I should have taken it with me.

Sorry, I think I posted part of this story already once, but damn, with this situation the memories of my plants returned.
    Last edited by Heresson; January 2, 2004, 11:53.
    "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
    I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
    Middle East!

You should kill them both, first by throwing them into a trash can and yelling: "SEE HOW IT FEELS!"

“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I would have to cut them into pieces and condense them a bit so that they'd fit....
      Middle East!

Comment

Done.
        Middle East!

Comment

Try hiding loads of razorblades in the soil and around the pots.
          The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Sometimes when I'm thinking about sth else, I do automatically anything one would request.

Oh, in that case... you should give me all your parents' money
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

That's sad, but once something similar happened to me. I'm just out in the clouds sometimes. DAMN. My friend used to mock me because of it a lot. I was talking with her, and somebody asked me to lend him 20pounds. i did, not even looking who asked me. When I realised a second later what I've done, it was too late.
              Middle East!

Comment

DAMN! That is pretty bad...

Comment

It's not end of the story. Because of that, I had barely any money. And it was in Britain, and my chance to buy civ2. Eventually it turned out that I miss some money. I earned it, selling my free tickets to a disco, but I still missed a tiny bit,. 0,1something of a pound. And I had no money, and no-one wanted to lend me. But I found a half of a German mark. I had some problems with it, but I managed to change it to enough English cash in exchange. It was funny
                  Middle East!

Comment

Sorry Herreson. Prose without paragraphs is unreadable.

Try hitting the Enter twice every few sentences.
                    Some cry `Allah O Akbar` in the street. And some carry Allah in their heart.
                    "The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84

Comment

very sad story.
                      i hope they are better parents in other ways.
                      your father sounds like a tyrant .
                      im sorry for you and your mother.
                      nothing to be done since he is your father...
                      look forward to the day when you can go out on your own and have your own place and have your own garden.

one thing you can do is learn not to be like him.
                      be a better man =) and remember your home is
                      your families home also and treat everyone with
                      respect ...esp your own family.
                      "If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun." -Katherine Hepburn

Comment

My father's not that bad. I have a lot of bad memories with him, but He does what He does because He thinks He's doing it for our (my and my sis') sake. My mum's not that agressive, but often she just doesn't care at all.
                        Me, I'm not going to have a family.
                        Thanks anyway
                        Middle East!

Comment

we all have "families" ... conventional or not
                          even if you don't get married and have children at some point you will probably live with someone ...
                          roommate or girlfriend or whatever
                          and if you take to heart lessons learned now
                          your life will be better
                          "If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun." -Katherine Hepburn

Comment

I predict your kids Heresson will be great friends of nature

Comment

typical polish story, dumb authoritarian parents and all...

Comment

Working...
                              X