mathematics for physicists discussion thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mathematics for physicists discussion thread

For the math-physics studs: Do you guys actually have a good command and intutive feel for multivariable calc and PDE? I felt like I could handle integral and differential calc. But I never got the div/grad/curl thing straight. Is that a common issue?

yeah
    We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

I'd say I have an intuitive feel for vector cal. Taking a class on it, and a few physics classes where it's heavily used would do that to a person. In lots of physics (for instance, electro), it's fundamental. It's suprisingly simple when you get down to it; you've got a few differential operators, and you can map differential forms to a higher/lower order one with these operators, and you get those three neat theorems - and it's all geometrically intuitive. Work with them a little, and you can catch on just fine.

PDE's, no. I don't know how anyone can have a truly intuitive feel for them. I might have a good command depending on how you define "good."
      Last edited by Ramo; January 1, 2004, 13:58.
      "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
      -Bokonon

Comment

no problem really

multivariable seems like second nature

but than I had like 3 classes in them in my first two years of college

and of course, I am hard pressed to name a class that I have taken since my freshman (?) year that didn't use Multivariable

I have had a number of classes that dealt with PDE's also, but routinely find myself out of practice in dealing with them (I am right now, for example, did not deal with many this last semester)

Jon Miller
        Jon Miller-
        I AM.CANADIAN
        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

I also have a hard time with classical E/M.

Comment

So I think part of the problem with me is that I got a B in 3rd semester (multivariable) calc and never really got it down. If I studied it, would I be able to grasp it and have a decent feel for it?

P.s. I was such a geek that I asked for and got a copy of Arfken for Christmas.

Comment

P.s. were there any comments made in the previous copy of this thread?

Comment

Arfken is fine as a review, is crap to learn from though

Jon Miller
                Jon Miller-
                I AM.CANADIAN
                GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

can I recommend Jackson to alleiviate your E&M problems?

Jon Miller
                  Jon Miller-
                  I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

I think that you probably just need to do problems

two birds with one stone sort of thing

JOn Miller
                    Jon Miller-
                    I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Well...for Jackson, can it be studied by somone with my level of knowledge? Or do I need something easier. As for Arfken, it does not have problem solutions. I wonder if there is an answer book that I can buy. What do you suggest to learn from?

Comment

Try Griffiths.
                        "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                        -Bokonon

Comment

text name?

Comment

Intro to Electrodynamics I think. It was probably the best text I've used at UT.
                            -Bokonon

Comment

But I never got the div/grad/curl thing straight

To me, it seems a lot more intuitive when its applied to a physical scenario than to a purely mathematical or geometric contemplation.
                              One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Working...
                              X