How do you study ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you study ?

As my examinations are coming up soon , and the annuals soon after those , I'd like some ideas from people here , as there are bound to be a fair number of students .

How exactly do you study/concentrate for a time longer than thirty minutes at a stretch ? If anyone here could help , I'd be really grateful . I've never been able to focus intensely on any subject material for more than 20-30 minutes , except when I'm actively practicing .

This relates not just to exam-time studying , but also general study . Thanks in advance for any help .

Take your books to the pub
    www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

This won't be of help, but I normally just sit on my couch and focus on studying. I make sure the TV/radio/whatever are all off and I have no distractions.
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I don't study... never had to
        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

...Study?!

What is this word of which you speak?
          "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
          ^ The Poly equivalent of:
          "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

I usually find it helps if I leave my dorm room and go some place else to study, far away from distraction such as computer, tv, etc. Just find some place on campus with a comfortable place to sit and work there. Take study breaks when you get too distracted, but don't make them too long.

The best way to study though, I've found, is to do it with another person. Easier to stay focused if you are working with someone, and that way if there is something you don't understand you can get it explained.
            "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

Thank you all ! And a happy new year to you . This computer(and consequently , my net access ) will be off until the annuals are over , sometime in march-april . Till then , goodbye !

Comment

And keep the ideas flowing , I bet there are others like me who will be helped by this .

Comment

I usually just read books in front of my computer screen, since I have the ability which many don't seem to have: The necessary immediate willpower to occasionally actually concentrate on the book I'm having with me. This is, OTOH largely due to the fact that I usually consider the books more entertaining than the PC.

When time is limited and I have to spend maximum amount of attention to the schoolbooks, the best way is to go to an empty, small room with your books and try to pass some time without reading the books. Within fifteen minutes, you're so bored that you have built up the needed strong motivation to read them, from the first to the last page.

I don't take any pressures on reading the books which are necessary for the upcoming tests, I just start reading early enough.

All in all, in the normal days after school, when I'm not having anything to do outside my apartment (very often), I spent roughly estimated a total of 4 hours with my books, 2 hours with schoolbooks.

BTW, are you really from India?

Comment

Re: How do you study ?

I don't

Comment

I don't either

I really should

I didn't really need to much until Grad school, but now I do

like even if I don't need to to pass a class, I should be doing study related things so as to do research

Jon Miller
                      Jon Miller-
                      I AM.CANADIAN
                      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

i'm with Sava...I don't, never had to
                        "Chegitz, still angry about the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991?
                        You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Study?

I would spend 8 hours per day at school whether I had class or not, this forced me to study. I would sit in a library, somewhere queit and read, and organize the material on paper (since I learn best by rote). After going through all the material, I would go through it again checking it agains my "cheat sheets" adding stuff on the sides... Then I would copy all the notes I took, neatly and in pen (this took a while because if I messed up I would start over), I would normally end up with 1-5 pages of notes. Then I would laminate them and begin work on the problem sets, making notes on important problems, or ones that are "harder" for me than others, I would then add these to my "cheat sheets" and laminate them too.

After doing all that I would have 5-10 pages of laminated notes that I would carry everywhere with me up till the day before the test, at which time I would put them away and forget about the test. The next morning, before the test, I would spend about 1-2 hours reveiwing the material, rereading as much as I can... Then take the test.

---

I usually failed everything anyway, though, so I would also make sure to become friends with the really smart ppl in class in sit next to them...
                          Monkey!!!

Comment

My idea of studying, is to tell my daughter to hit the books.
                            It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Sava, how do you get to be an investment banker without ever studying?
                              "I'm so happy I could go and drive a car crash!"
                              "What do you mean do I rape strippers too? Is that an insult?"
                              - Pekka

Comment

Working...
                              X