Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are the Japanese culturaly isolated online?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
    I wouldn't believe everything that the Koreans tell you, especially when the subject is Japan...
    Agreed. I know that some of the stuff I've been told is total nonsense and I don't even know much about Japan.
    If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

i don't know of a korean korean who posts.
      Isn't Yin Korean?

Heh. I haven't seen that,
      Apparently Japanese tend to add even more vowels at the end of works and to break up English clusters of consonants than Koreans do, which is saying a lot (ie my kids mock their public school english teacher for saying noh-tu-bu-ku for notebook).
      Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

In the Civ3 on-topic, Aneeshm waves an Indian flag. I'd assume he's really Indian. Also, there is a guy called Rush in the on-topic who seems to be from Japan, although I've seen him float another flag (Singapore?) last time I've seen him.
        "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
        "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
        "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

I think Phoenixcager is a native Singaporean.

In another thread (a darkcloud thread on poster's origins something over a year ago), he noted Rush as being part of the "Singapore contingent".

edit: okay, it was a flag thread, and he simply mention that Rush has a Singaporean flag...linky
          No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

--"Apparently Japanese tend to add even more vowels at the end of works and to break up English clusters of consonants than Koreans do"

The people complaining about this may be not quite understanding something ^_^ The Japanese language includes a lot of import words, and a lot of them are from English. However, the Japanese language is structured differently than English; the only stand-alone consonant is n. Which, of course, means that the vast majority of their words will end in vowels, including imported ones. This is also probably where they're getting the breaking up cnosonants bit from. Almost no Japanese words will have more than two consonants in a row (three would seem possible, but I don't know of any off-hand). Considering the language is based on sylables rather than individual letters, this shouldn't be surprising.

Wraith
            "There ain't no rules around here! We're trying to accomplish something!"
            -- Thomas Edison

Comment

Originally posted by C0ckney
              mrmitchel, osweld - i think the viceroy is an englishman, living in england, married to an indian bird
              I'm not entirely sure -- this post, and one above it, seem to indicate that he is in India.

Of course, please disregard if you live down the road from him or something.

Comment

well i always thought he was in newcastle, i could be wrong though.

oh, i also think you're more likely to find two pakistani muslims in any UK city, than in bombay
                "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Is there anyone from India here?

Yep .. Im actually Brit that lives in India and UK .. however ive seen a few Indians about on poly.

For the record ..

Currently in Reading, UK .. but also live in Bombay .. and yes, married to an Indian from Bombay
                  "Wherever wood floats, you will find the British" . Napoleon

Comment

Any what does that explain Comrade Tassadar ??

Comment

Nothing explains Tass.

Thanks for the clarification!

Comment

So wich one is it Mumbay or Bombay?
                        Que l’Univers n’est qu’un défaut dans la pureté de Non-être.

- Paul Valery

Comment

Mumbai is its new name, however most locals would call it Bombay still. There is a real love hate relationship with the new name. Younger people tend to like it, older ones don't .

Comment

Why was it changed?

Comment

Considering the language is based on sylables rather than individual letters, this shouldn't be surprising.
                              Its not surprising, it just makes for badly-pronounced English. Korea is similar but not quite so bad since it has some syllables that are Consonant-Vowel-Consonant (although only certain consonants seem to turn up at the end of syllables) so Koreans aren't quite as bad in this regard as Japanese.
                              Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark
                                Yup. I keep thinking i should go to french boards to polish my french, but never do.
                                I must admit, I cannot break away from 'Poly to join a French or German forum too
                                "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                                "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                                "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Working...
                                X