Pentagon Freezes Iraqi Reconstruction Funds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pentagon Freezes Iraqi Reconstruction Funds

The Pentagon's decision to delay Iraqi reconstruction is another setback for a process already hobbled by political insecurity and, increasingly, concerns over corruption and misconduct. The success of the US-led bid to remake Iraq politically depends largely on efforts to reverse the country's chronic unemployment by repairing it economically. But lawmakers in Washington and businesspeople in Iraq say the bidding process lacks transparency and favors a growing class of monopolists and oligarchs that could overwhelm the country's infant regulatory framework.
    Interesting..., I didn't expect that.

I think this is a good thing despite slowing down the alleviation of Iraq's unemployment; as in a few months reconstruction contracts will hopefully be handled much more fairly with more contracts going to Iraqi firms, etc., reducing the unemployment problem much more than if Shrub kept running the show.

In addition, greater unemployment in the short term could have a benefit of giving the unions as well as Sistani et al. more leverage in pressuring us into taking more free, democratic steps for Iraq in the next several months.
    "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
    -Bokonon

From a few articles I've read on Iraqi business there seems to be a real rise of a Comprador class (ie people who're making profits supplying stuff for foriegners and related work and who use these profits to branch out) that doesn't bode well...
    Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Originally posted by Boshko
      From a few articles I've read on Iraqi business there seems to be a real rise of a Comprador class
      Before ringing the alarm, we need to know the absolute amount of Compradors. It is very possible the dramatic rise happens simply because the country is opened to foreigners again.
      Now, if the absolute amount of Compradors is higher than what would be normal in such an economy, we really need to worry indeed

But then again, it wouldn't be any surprising that the riches of the Iraqis go to western pockets
      "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
      "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
      "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

"I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
        "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

Well the new Iraqi government shouldn't have any problem with finances after we have learned that Saddam, an oligarch? himself, stashed 40 billion in Swiss, German and Japanese banks.

By the way, Ramo, that link to the article is seems to be out of date.
          http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

40 billion? Where are you getting that number?

And sorry about that link. Let's try it again:

Code:
            http://www.boston.com/business/globe/articles/2003/12/30/pentagon_freezes_iraq_funds_amid_corruption_probes
            Apparantly there's a scripting problem that creates a space where it shouldn't be for some odd reason. So just copy and paste and then delete the space.
            Last edited by Ramo; January 1, 2004, 03:18.
            "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
            -Bokonon

Comment

From a few articles I've read on Iraqi business there seems to be a real rise of a Comprador class (ie people who're making profits supplying stuff for foriegners and related work and who use these profits to branch out) that doesn't bode well...
              Yeah, it seems like Chalabi's buddies are poised at taking over large chunks of the Iraqi economy.
              -Bokonon

Comment

Originally posted by Ramo
                Yeah, it seems like Chalabi's buddies are poised at taking over large chunks of the Iraqi economy.
                Oooh, now there's a surprise.
                Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Working...
                X