Weightlifting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weightlifting

This is sort of a continuation of the space05us thread about lifting, titled "If you haven't before, I don't suggest...". I'm starting a new thread with a more obvious title to attract more attention.

How do you warmup for lifting? What is your approach to lifting?

I know a lot of people who run a little bit before lifting to warmup. I jump right into lifting when I do a workout and then do some cardio after. My warmup is the warmup sets I do for each bodypart based on my max weight for the exercise. 10 reps @ 50% max, 8 reps @66%max, 6@80% max, 3@90@max. Each exercise within the bodypart is then 3 sets of 4-6 reps at last week's max weight + 5lbs. I might have three exercises I do for a bodypart, but the warmup sets are only done once per bodypart.

I stretch and run to warm up. If Im going to bench I usually do some pushups before I stretch. As far as my 'approach' goes, I just lift however I feel like lifting on that day.

Comment

I run and then do stretches.
      I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Otherway around for me! I do some stretches, just general ones, followed by a gentle warm up doing CV work, maybe about 20 minutes, but then I'm trying to lose fat as well. Then I do another set of specific stretches....
        Res ipsa loquitur

Comment

I do a fast walk for 5 minutes on the treadmill. It's also good for calf work.

Then I warmup each lift by just doing the bar for about 50 reps. Then I pyramid my way up in weight.
          We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

I prefer to do 30 mins on the exercise bike before lifting... it burns up all the lactic acid so you don't get sore. plus, doin it that way keeps your heart rate higher long after you are done lifting so you burn more calories and fat.
            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
              I prefer to do 30 mins on the exercise bike before lifting... it burns up all the lactic acid so you don't get sore.
              Rubbish! Ask a doctor.

plus, doin it that way keeps your heart rate higher long after you are done lifting so you burn more calories and fat.
              True, but you're not doing weighlifting to burn many calories, are you?
              Res ipsa loquitur

Comment

I think squats are just as good of an aerobic workout as sprinting for 10 minutes
                We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

I used to kinda weightlift once. Ah, those capricious days of youth.
                  http://monkspider.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Evil Knevil
                    Rubbish! Ask a doctor.
                    I did, and that's what he told me. I also follow the plan that he approved and what my health club: Edward Hospital Fitness Center came up with
                    True, but you're not doing weighlifting to burn many calories, are you?
                    I'm weight lifting to build muscle, and muscle burns more calories at rest than fat does.
                    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Striker
                      I think squats are just as good of an aerobic workout as sprinting for 10 minutes
                      it's not
                      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Yeah it is

Maybe you aren't squatting enough

Comment

I do a five minute strider, then stretch all large-muscle groups (including the ones that I'm not going to focus on that day).
                          "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
                          ^ The Poly equivalent of:
                          "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Striker
                            Yeah it is

Maybe you aren't squatting enough
                            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

plus, doin it that way keeps your heart rate higher long after you are done lifting so you burn more calories and fat.
                              Sava, the only person I know who lifts to lose weight.

squats get your heart rate up, but the entire point of aerobic excercise is to keep it up.

Comment

Working...
                              X