Weed in Nam?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weed in Nam?

i'm on the couch with a touch of the flu and watching a bunch of war movies. i'm watching platoon right now, and theres the scene where all the "hop heads" are smoking in the underground bunker.

now, assuming that WAS marajuana, where did they get it? I've seen people smoking weed and doing other drugs in various movies, and some old veterans that i know talk about it too, so i'm assuming it was around. so where the hell did they get it? surely, the government didn't send them weed in the cargo, or did they?

Did they buy it off Vietnamese civilians? How did they know it wasn't tampered with? Does anyone know any stories about bad weed killing soldiers?

Or maybe some soldiers were dealing? Or some sort of deal between suppliers back home and dealers on the front?

Anyone know anything about it?
    "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
    - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Mostly they got it from civilians. Compared to the stuff in the states at the time it was rumored to be strong, and a lot was dipped in opium (aka Thai Stick). There was also a fair amount of opium and heroin around during Vietnam, but the degree to which a particular unit put up with drug abuse varied widely, especially in areas more prone to combat. Abuse rates were quite high in rear areas, and the military had an enormous drug problem well into the late 70s in large part due to the influence of the Vietnam War and the counter culture at home.
    He's got the Midas touch.
    But he touched it too much!
    Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Good summary.
      "When all else fails, a pigheaded refusal to look facts in the face will see us through." -- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay Melchett

Comment

Weed:
        "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
        "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

That would explain your politics whaleboy.
          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Hey, I think wee = and I don't even smoke it
            "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
            "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
            "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

That would explain your politics whaleboy.
              Whaleboy owes himself a tenner

You'd be better off attacking my arguments themselves Oerdin, people might take you more seriously jk
              "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
              "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

Hey, editting your remarks after I've read them isn't fair.
                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Working...
                X