No announcement yet.

Why is it called ME?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We're very egotistical, that's why we have ME, Myself and I all meaning the same thing.

"I read a book twice as fast as anybody else. First, I read the beginning, and then I read the ending, and then I start in the middle and read toward whatever end I like best." - Gracie Allen

Comment

Something that's annoying is that what the Middle East encompases isn't very consistent. eg, I usually see parts of north Africa (Egypt, Sudan, Libya), Turkey and Iran refered to as part of the middle east but not always. (I think I've even seen Afghanistan and Pakistan considered part of it once or twice)
      "I read a book twice as fast as anybody else. First, I read the beginning, and then I read the ending, and then I start in the middle and read toward whatever end I like best." - Gracie Allen

Comment

It's a descriptive name; it's as stable as the other ME.

Comment

Near-east and far-east are the two easts in finnish...

Well, of course there are also North-east and south-east. But the finnish expressions of those are not combinations of north/east/south - we have spesific words for NE, SE, SW and NW
          NE= Koillinen
          SE= Kaakko
          SW= Lounas
          NW= Luode

I'm not a complete idiot: some parts are still missing.

Comment

aaglo, yeah, can you believe it if I say I never remember those? I have a good memory, I remember like a little crazy person. But those? Oh man, I can't remember!
            In da butt.
            "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
            THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
            "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

back in the good old days,when europe was the center of the world, everything from constantinople to the Pacific was "the East". Turkey, Syria, Israel, Egypt were the Near East. Iraq, Iran the Gulf were the Middle East. China, Japan, Thailand, etc were the Far East. India was the Jewel in the Crown

In recent years the near east - middle east distinction faded, and the entire arab world plus Iran came to be called the Middle east, thus the ME conflict.

To those of us who are more enlightened, (or more PC, if you prefer) Europe is no longer the center of the world, hence these terms are obsolete. The area from the Suez Canal to Iran is Southwest Asia, the Subcontinent is south Asia, and the area previously called the Far East is East Asia.

ME survives as a term, partly cause it sounds pedantic to refer to the "soutwest Asia conflict", partly cause (in current usage) it covers North Africa as well as Southwest Asia
              "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Not correct. Europe is the center, Finland is at the top of it, and I am the Supercitizen of it, so that makes me what? God on earth?
                In da butt.
                "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
                  Not correct. Europe is the center, Finland is at the top of it, and I am the Supercitizen of it, so that makes me what? God on earth?
                  No, Santa Claus!

(You asked for that one )
                  Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

That's still pretty good.. being Santa.
                    In da butt.

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
                      That's still pretty good.. being Santa.
                      Dear Pekka,

Is there an address I send my list to? I've been real good this year!!
                      "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Dear Pekka,

For this Christmas I want Winona Ryder.

Comment

Working...
                        X