Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Defeating this local idiocy all around me...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defeating this local idiocy all around me...

I know yall think I have said some unbelievable misconceptions but mine are nothing compared to the slew of illogical statements I hear everyday. They leave me flabergasted and I never know what to say to disprove them because there's so much to say. Some things, like the belief that there are more muslims than christians in america are very popular [there are probably comparative numbers of muslims and christians in the city so its somewhat understandable] but this don't mean much so i dont bother with anything but a 'Trust me, you're wrong.'

some other misconceptions are problematic though so can yall help me out with coming up with a brief and conclusive response to the following misconceptions? They are so wild and obviously wrong to us that it's actually kind of hard disproving them cause i dont know where to even begin...

"You can only get AIDS from homosexual sex"
    It's like the whole AIDS Awareness program spoke to a brick wall... I've encountered grown men who believed this was true.

"Police just break into your house and shoot black men for doing nothing but just because the man was Black"
    Unfortunately, there are a handful of cases of such things happening (maybe not the breaking into your house part) but this is so incredibly wrong. What can I say to assure people that the police are a positive force?

"Being a *** is that cracker ****. Part of white weakness."
    Now come on... how the hell am I supposed to respond to this? And the whole spanish men are fruity too thing?

"What women be wearing today... they just asking to get raped."
    I try to say that the real wrongdoer is the sick rapist but then people turn it around and say that i'm trying to say that dressing slutty is alright. that's not the issue, you idiot! stupid people sometimes...

"When you take shahada, you must look like a muslim"
    so, apparently, you must wear 17th century clothing everyday like an idiot?! And where did these moustache-less beards, supposedly being proscribed in the Qur'an, come from?

"Halloween is the devil's birthday"
    Maybe this is crossing over into religious belief but it seems like pure jackassery cause you don't want to have little kids have some fun. how do i respond to this?
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

there are probably comparative numbers of muslims and christians in the city

Which city is that? New Mecca, PA?
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

aka Philadelphia
      No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised to see that in Chicago.

Comment

Are there actually that many? Sounds very dubious to me, given that Muslims in the US are only at ~2.5%...
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Even New York has less Jews than Christians...
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

It's like the whole AIDS Awareness program spoke to a brick wall... I've encountered grown men who believed this was true.
              Now come on... how the hell am I supposed to respond to this? And the whole spanish men are fruity too thing?
              It might be instructive to note the massive AIDS epidemic in sub-saharan africa and ask them which explanation they prefer.

Comment

Nation of Islam is headquartered in Chicago, I believe.

Comment

pt
                  Last edited by Dis; December 20, 2003, 04:37.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk
                    It might be instructive to note the massive AIDS epidemic in sub-saharan africa and ask them which explanation they prefer.
                    Nice catch.
                    "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk

Or the comparatively massive AIDS epidemic among black males as compared to white males in the US itself.

(5 or 6 to one, per capita)
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I don't understand this one. What is white weakness?

Comment

Wow, normally those are things I'd expect YOU to say, Speer. I'm glad you're wising up
                          "Chegitz, still angry about the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991?
                          You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Re: Defeating this local idiocy all around me...

Originally posted by Albert Speer
                            You may want to try the scientific explanation, if it has any chance to work. I'm no doctor, but here's what I read in an awareness programme:
                            AIDS is transmitted when infected fluids make it to the blood. When junkies share their syringes, that's the most sure way to get AIDS. You can get AIDS by eating infected meat too. And lastly, you can get AIDS by having sex, as the infected fluids (both male and female) make it to your blood through the cracks of your membranes (whether ass hole, vagina, penis or mouth).
                            The ass's membrane is the most fragile, and as such, unprotected sodomy of man or woman is the most efficient way to transmit AIDS through sex. But the other ways are risky too, and you can even end up getting AIDS from licking your girl's puszy.

But TheMadMonk had a more catchy line
                            "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                            "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                            "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

yeah, talking to those sort of people you want to keep it simple
                              "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Working...
                              X