Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OzzyKP
    Well i dunno about that picture...

But ghosts do exist. I've seen one. And I've felt them.

Y'all are just closed minded. People have such faith in current science, and such a mindset that we have gone as far as we can. If there isn't proof for something in this instant then it is an impossible superstition.

Impossible superstitions of yesterday become science fact today.

There is much more mystery in this world than science understands. I wouldn't be surprized if we find Bigfood and the Loch Ness monster one day. (though i wouldn't be very surprized if we never did either). Wasn't the Oragatang a mythical animal at some point? People dismissed them as an indonesian superstition or something? Now they are in zoos all around the world.

But ghosts exists. One day there will be proof of it than can satisfy even the most skeptical people here.

I have faith in evidence. There is no evidence that ghosts exist. There is evidence that a robed figure exists, though. That robed figure can be a number of things some of them are known to exist, and others aren't. guess which way goes the 'ghost' theory.
    urgh.NSFW

Comment

Not rebelling; just having a free mind...
      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
      Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Well, they ought to rig a trap. The next time that door is opened, a net falls, alarms ring and the whole thing is captured on film. It the net captures nothing and the people responding find noone, then I begin to believe.
        http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

Originally posted by Azazel

I have faith in evidence. There is no evidence that ghosts exist. There is evidence that a robed figure exists, though. That robed figure can be a number of things some of them are known to exist, and others aren't. guess which way goes the 'ghost' theory.
          That's bull**** you know, evidence used to point that the earth was flat... You know I find it really irritating that people in this era believe, that mankind has discovered all science will ever know......... YOU ARE ARROGENT PEOPLE TO THINK THAT YOU KNOW EVERYTHING.... Hundreds of years from now people will be looking back at us and saying how ignorant and stupid we are, and how they couldn't believe that we hadn't discovered [something] yet, or that we don't know how [something] really works.
          "Our words are backed with NUCLEAR WEAPONS!"​​

Comment

I see. So it's "ignorant" and "stupid" of us to say we don't believe in something because, based on our current understanding of the laws of physics/nature/etc. that it is impossible. Interesting.

So, by this rationale, why don't we all go around believing in pink unicorns, garden fairies and the Easter bunny? What separates the superstition of ghosts from these other superstitions? If you're going to insist that we can't disbelieve in ghosts because maybe in the future the laws of science as we know them will be turned on their heads, then you might as well believe in everything!

Oh wait...you WANT this particular superstition to be true, so obviously critical thought need not apply...
            Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Originally posted by Thorn

That's bull**** you know, evidence used to point that the earth was flat... You know I find it really irritating that people in this era believe, that mankind has discovered all science will ever know......... YOU ARE ARROGENT PEOPLE TO THINK THAT YOU KNOW EVERYTHING.... Hundreds of years from now people will be looking back at us and saying how ignorant and stupid we are, and how they couldn't believe that we hadn't discovered [something] yet, or that we don't know how [something] really works.
              What a load of crap. It was evidence that brought the flat earth theory down. btw, evidence not brought by some new instruments, but by analysis of existing data.

I certainly don't think I know everything, neither do I think that humanity knows everything. But you have no evidence supporting your thoughts. This precious evidence that you claim the people of the future will have in abundance, is non-existant right now.
              urgh.NSFW

Comment

Speaking of morons who believe in crap like this... CNN did a report about the dip****s that believe they see the Virgin Mary... I found it hilarious.
                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I see. So it's "ignorant" and "stupid" of us to say we don't believe in something because, based on our current understanding of the laws of physics/nature/etc. that it is impossible. Interesting.
                  How is it impossible, we barely understand atomic structure, electromagnetism....let alone alternative dimensions which there are at least 10 including curled up dimensions in physics.

Objects leave magnetic impressions, and sometimes these impressions can last over time, or be disturbed by other phenomonon. Such as the case of the recorded ghost... totally non-interactive... just like a film being replayed over and over again.

Besides scientists have seperated such things as Poltergeists, as not ghosts but some sort of telekenesis performed unconsciously by certain individuals.

So, by this rationale, why don't we all go around believing in pink unicorns, garden fairies and the Easter bunny? What separates the superstition of ghosts from these other superstitions? If you're going to insist that we can't disbelieve in ghosts because maybe in the future the laws of science as we know them will be turned on their heads, then you might as well believe in everything!
                  Perhaps because there is actual study going on about these phenomenom, there are doctorate programs that specialize in this... Besides millions of people have reported ghostly encounters throughout history (and that is a hell of a lot more then aliens)... I don't think the easter bunny, or pink unicorns are the same category, as they are both fictional and intended as such.

Comment

Objects leave magnetic impressions, and sometimes these impressions can last over time,
                    Interesting, so does that mean that ghosts can be effectively exorcised using an ordinary bar magnet? Do ghosts tend to congregate around ferrous magnetic objects? Do ghosts tend to mess up compass readings? Can a ghost be stored on a floppy disk to be sent over the internet? If so, how much storage space does a ghost take up?Can a ghost be used to generate electricity like any other passing magnet? What happens if a ghost gets struck by lightning?
                    Last edited by Thucydides; December 20, 2003, 17:54.
                    ku eshte shpata eshte feja
                    Where the Sword is, There lies religion

Comment

Originally posted by Thorn
                      Objects leave magnetic impressions, and sometimes these impressions can last over time, or be disturbed by other phenomonon. Such as the case of the recorded ghost... totally non-interactive... just like a film being replayed over and over again.
                      So if this film is non-interactive, how is it opening the doors?

Besides scientists have seperated such things as Poltergeists, as not ghosts but some sort of telekenesis performed unconsciously by certain individuals.
                      And such things are, as of now, completely unsubstantiated by any empirical evidence. Even the scientists who study the paranormal acknowledge this.

There isn't any documented proof of telekinesis. Several research departments are offering TONS of money for someone with such powers to come forward and give proof. Nobody has.

Perhaps because there is actual study going on about these phenomenom, there are doctorate programs that specialize in this...
                      Oh yes. Remember how in eons past, "scientists" were studying such things as alchemy and the like? Just because someone decides they want to BS their way through to a doctorate degree in something doesn't mean they're studying something that's real. We have entire philosophy departments as proof of this.

Besides millions of people have reported ghostly encounters throughout history (and that is a hell of a lot more then aliens)... I don't think the easter bunny, or pink unicorns are the same category, as they are both fictional and intended as such.
                      Appeal to the masses. Millions of people report lots of crap--doesn't make any of it true sans empirical evidence. The obvious conclusion is that people WANT to believe these things, and the mind, being a rather complex instrument prone to playing tricks can, when overactive, conjur all sorts of things. Haven't you ever experienced deja vu? It's nothing more than a brain skip.

But you seem to dismiss the easter bunny and pink unicorns out of an unreasoned bias. You haven't explained why the ghost superstition is any better. After all, millions of children believe in the Easter Bunny and Santa Claus, but then they grow up and realize it's nonsense. The same should be true for ghosts.
                      Last edited by Boris Godunov; December 20, 2003, 18:16.
                      Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Wow, that's pretty spooky.
                        http://monkspider.blogspot.com/

Comment

Every established scientific theory began as a guess of some crackpot who was ridiculed and dismissed. For example, Plate Tectonics was first proposed in 1912, and the scientific community laughed at the idea of it. It wasn't until the 1960s that people finally accepted it.

String theory right now is not entirely taken seriously by physicists, but who knows, maybe one day it will be common understanding.

I think Black Holes were just a conjecture at some point, and then in recent years (i believe) evidence has been found to support this idea.

Isn't this the scientific method? One puts out a hypothesis and seeks to prove or disprove it.
                          Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

I'm not saying I believe this specific instance is a real ghost. Who knows.

I do know from my own experience that there are unexplained phenomena out there that seems very much like ghosts. As I said I have seen and felt ghosts, or ghost like phenomena. So have millions of other people. They aren't all crazy.
                            Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyKP
                              Every established scientific theory began as a guess of some crackpot who was ridiculed and dismissed. For example, Plate Tectonics was first proposed in 1912, and the scientific community laughed at the idea of it. It wasn't until the 1960s that people finally accepted it.

String theory right now is not entirely taken seriously by physicists, but who knows, maybe one day it will be common understanding.

I think Black Holes were just a conjecture at some point, and then in recent years (i believe) evidence has been found to support this idea.

Isn't this the scientific method? One puts out a hypothesis and seeks to prove or disprove it.
                              This is true, but for every guess that ended up being true, a thousand have been shown to be completely wrong. But this isn't even the realm of scientific theory--pray tell, what is the scientific theory of ghosts? No such theory exists, because the empirical evidence is nonexistant.

Another difference to keep in mind is that plate tectonics and black hole theory (and maybe string theory, I don't know) weren't just "guesses," they were hypotheses based on the empiric observations of phenomena.

Of course, it's possible that ghosts may be real. But that possibility is just as remote as pink unicorns, Santa Claus, little green alien visitors, etc. And I think believing in one is as silly as believing in the other.

Believe in ghosts all you want, but don't ridicule folks who don't see the image in this story as proof of anything.
                              Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

So if this film is non-interactive, how is it opening the doors?
                                There are different kinds of ghostly asperations, two of which would be capable of opening doors. I'd say if it was a film that it would be more unlikely, as usually the interactive ghosts do more of such things.

There isn't any documented proof of telekinesis. Several research departments are offering TONS of money for someone with such powers to come forward and give proof. Nobody has.
                                If I had that power I wouldn't come forward with it either, it is not mere parlor tricks, it is serious ability. And can be dangerous if it falls into the wrong hands. And as for the poltergeist telekenesis, it is uncontrollabe and unconscious which makes it extremely difficult to study. Getting someone to have poltergeist activities in a laboritory isn't exactly that easy. It is probably a mix of mental energies (remember we don't use most of our brain) with an energy disturbence of some kind in the area.

Interesting, so does that mean that ghosts can be effectively exorcised using an ordinary bar magnet? Do ghosts tend to congregate around ferrous magnetic objects? Do ghosts tend to mess up compass readings? Can a ghost be stored on a floppy disk to be sent over the internet? If so, how much storage space does a ghost take up?Can a ghost be used to generate electricity like any other passing magnet? What happens if a ghost gets struck by lightning?
                                Have you ever read about the United States government's Philidelphia Experiment during World War II findings, most of it is still classified, but the bulk of the experiment was that they were using electromagnetic energy of some type to make a battleship (A BATTLESHIP!!) become invisible to the eye, not just to radar... it was a horrible tradgedy for the sailors aboard as all died, but the ship did dissappear for a while. What kind of electromagnetisim would be able to make an object dissappear, obviously the government didn't know what the hell they were messing with when they decided to do that. But if you can't see the ship, does it mean it isn't really there anymore?

But you seem to dismiss the easter bunny and pink unicorns out of an unreasoned bias. You haven't explained why the ghost superstition is any better. After all, millions of children believe in the Easter Bunny and Santa Claus, but then they grow up and realize it's nonsense. The same should be true for ghosts.
                                No not out of unreasoned bias, they are lies told to children for whatever reason. Ghosts were not some concoction designed to entertain people with thrill and fright, in fact no one designed ghosts as they aren't straight fiction like these other things you describe. I think it is unreasonable that you link a supernatural phenomon to a children's story, particularly you are being an ASS, SO STOP IT!!

Oh yes. Remember how in eons past, "scientists" were studying such things as alchemy and the like? Just because someone decides they want to BS their way through to a doctorate degree in something doesn't mean they're studying something that's real. We have entire philosophy departments as proof of this.
                                Actually scientists now have the technology to turn an element into gold, it is ridiculously expensive to do at the atomic level (and we don't even use the gold standard anymore so why do it) and only on such a tiny scale, but it can be done.

Comment

Working...
                                X