US Criticises French Headscarf Ban

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US Criticises French Headscarf Ban

I know that there is an old topic on this, but this is a new wrinkle.

U.S. Has Misgivings About Chirac's Headscarves Stance
    Thu December 18, 2003 12:09 PM ET

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The State Department voiced misgivings on Thursday about French President Jacques Chirac's plan to bar the wearing of Islamic headscarves, Jewish skullcaps and large Christian crosses in French state schools.

"(A) fundamental principle of religious freedom that we work for in many countries of the world, including on this very issue of headscarves, is that all persons should be able to practice their religion and their beliefs peacefully without government interference as long as they are doing so without provocation and intimidation of others in the society," the U.S. ambassador for international religious freedom said.

"President Chirac is concerned to maintain France's principle of secularism and he wants that, as I think he said, not to be negotiable. Our hope is religious freedom would be a nonnegotiable as well," ambassador John Hanford told reporters when asked about the issue as he presented the State Department's annual report on religious freedom.

"One Muslim leader said this is a secularism that excludes too much. We are very concerned that that not be the case," he added. "So we are going to watch this carefully and (it is) certainly an important concern."

Chirac called on Wednesday for a law banning Islamic headscarves and other religious symbols in state schools, despite protests from Muslims in France and across the world.

The French president said such defiance breached the landmark separation of church and state in 1905 and would heighten tensions in France's multicultural society, whose Muslim and Jewish populations are both the biggest of their kind in west Europe.

In a televised speech after months of debate on the role of religion in French society which highlighted the difficulties of Muslim integration, Chirac urged parliament to pass the law before the next school year starts in September.

The ban will extend to other religious symbols including Jewish skullcaps and large Christian crosses, but France's top Muslim representative said it mainly targeted Islam and would further alienate the country's five million Muslims.

Don't know how it's any of the Bush administration's beeswax, but this does seem like a worthwhile argument. It illustrates the difference in our views of the separation of church and state.

In short, France views its government's role as promoting secularism, while the US views its government's role much more narrowly -- refraining from doing anything that establishes a particular religion. Government promoting secular society is anathema to the majority of Americans, while the French probably cringe every time they hear "God bless America" coming from any American president's lips.

How did these rather subtle differences in approach come to such differing opinions about this, when both of our countries are children of the Enlightenment? Maybe Europe as a whole would take a more French line. But I guess I'm partial to the non-establishment clause, since it has worked so well for us.

Anyway, it would seem that the US would be more hospitable to Muslims than France, although France probably has a much higher %-age of Muslims.

Edit: I note that this is a local issue in the US versus a national issue in France. The headscarve might be banned in some US schools in some situations too.
    Last edited by DanS; December 19, 2003, 04:25.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

What does not appear in the report is that the arab community does not equal the muslim community. Many arabs are not religious to the point to fight or even support the headscarf, and many other are not religious at all. In addition, the subject is contraversial in the religious muslim community.
    Statistical anomaly.
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Comment

Double post
      Last edited by DAVOUT; December 19, 2003, 06:20.
      Statistical anomaly.

Comment

Don't know how it's any of the Bush administration's beeswax,

Just as our death penalty is France's beeswax . Countries, especially western democracies, will tell each other what they disagree with.

Anyway, this is a good thing to disagree with, IMO.
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Just as our death penalty is France's beeswax
          Good point.

In addition, the subject is contraversial in the religious muslim community.
          I don't think it's that controversial. At least not outside France. Mainly, among the muslim religious it seems like a question among scarves, rather than a question of whether to wear a scarf or not.

And what's the distinction between Arab and non-Arab muslims?
          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

And what's the distinction between Arab and non-Arab muslims?

Well Arab muslims usually clash with non-Arab muslims. The Arab ones believe they should be in charge of the community, even if they are the minority of it. At least as far as I've observed.
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

The whole obsession with secularism in France has something to do with a long and painful history. France, "the eldes daughter of the Church" tried to escape the clutches of the catholic Church for a long time, and was only successful at it under the 3rd Republic, with 20 years of constant struggles between both sides.
              School was an especially important battlefield between both sides. In the end, a status quo was found, and private schools (up to 20% of the total students) were allowed to be religious. Everytime a government tries to change the status quo in one sense or another, you can bet the education minister will be driven out by the unrest.

The reasons why the French views of separation of Church and State are so different with the US' (or of most other European countries' for that matter) comes from this history specific to us.

The real question that is asked by the Islamic Scarf is "Is school supposed to be a place where all religions are free to be expressed, or is school supposed to be a place devoid of religious proselytism?"
              Chirac considers schools ought to be devoid of religious proselytism, and our lengthy debate has shown there are good arguments for each side.

I personally support Chirac on this one. I share with him a deep concern about seeing our country becoming more and more torn apart between radicalizing communities. Now, if we don't do anything else to promote integration, this law will end up being counterproductive. However, if we have a real encompassing program to promote integration, this law will be a complement to it.
              "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
              "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
              "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by DanS

I don't think it's that controversial. At least not outside France. Mainly, among the muslim religious it seems like a question among scarves, rather than a question of whether to wear a scarf or not.
                The argument raised by the partisans of the headscarf is that it is a religious obligation. I have no opinion on that point, but hight muslims authorities contradict it. And considering that the minority making of the headscarf an obligation also claims that the religious laws prevail on the civil laws, it is not without interest to check first if it is really a religious obligation.

If it is not, as it seems to be the case, the forbidding of the headscarf is not a big issue. If it is a religious obligation, and if this obligation is associated with the contention that the religious laws prevail on the civil laws, it must be rigorously forbidden.
                Statistical anomaly.

Comment

What Davout said
                  "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                  "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                  "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Well Arab muslims usually clash with non-Arab muslims. The Arab ones believe they should be in charge of the community, even if they are the minority of it. At least as far as I've observed.
                    OK, so how does this fit into the headscarves question?

Comment

"Chirac considers schools ought to be devoid of religious proselytism,"

yeah, but is wearing a head scarf proselytism?

The ruling also bans Kippahs, worn by Orthodox and some Conservative Jews. I can tell you with great assurance that the wearing of such has NOTHING to do with proselytism.
                      "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Wait...are you saying that within Islamic society the question of head coverings is NOT controversial???
                        "Chegitz, still angry about the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991?
                        You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Originally posted by DAVOUT

And considering that the minority making of the headscarf an obligation also claims that the religious laws prevail on the civil laws, it is not without interest to check first if it is really a religious obligation.

If it is not, as it seems to be the case, the forbidding of the headscarf is not a big issue. If it is a religious obligation, and if this obligation is associated with the contention that the religious laws prevail on the civil laws, it must be rigorously forbidden.
                          I understand that some muslims dont require the wearing of the headscarf, and some muslims who do believe in the superiority of Sharia over civil law. Arent there SOME muslims who believe in civil law, but who also believe in the obligation to wear the headscarf?

Personal note - I was once a substitute teacher in a local public school. Some girls wore headscarves - I was happy they were at a public school, where they would be taught American values and western culture, and NOT at a Saudi funded muslim school = wear whatever you want, public school is where you will be integrated.
                          "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Wait...are you saying that within Islamic society the question of head coverings is NOT controversial???
                            No, I'm not saying that. Mainly the question seems to be about whether a modest scarf is all that is required or if something more is required, like a hijab, manteau, abaya, etc. The exception to this is Turkey.
                            Last edited by DanS; December 19, 2003, 11:46.

Comment

Originally posted by orange

In the US there are plenty of muslim women who DONT wear head scarves - but i cant imagine them supporting a move to BAN headscarves in public schools - either theyre more friendly to more conservative forms of Islam than moderate muslims in France are (which I doubt) or they have absorbed the American view of religious tolerance.

Note that in NW London some liberal Jews opposed the establishment of an eruv, a ritual boundary that allows Orthodox Jews to avoid certain Sabbath restricitions, an opposition i think very unlikely from Reform Jews in the US. Its a different view of religion and public life, more than anything else.

Comment

Working...
                              X