No announcement yet.

The Guardian: Israel planned raid to kill Saddam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

and just how, exactly, does the missle track a particular person?

i remember hearing how the guidance system generally worked, but i don't remember how i got hold of that information, so i'd rather not talk about.

i think it's not very much more complicated than the usual new fire and forget guidance technology.

plus you'd be surprised what a lot of ingenuity and a dedicated team of engineers can do.

Comment

Some how, an article in the Guardian that says the codename was 'Bramble Bush', sounds like it came from the onion, or SNL.
      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

you would kill a man at a funeral, and put innocent people at risk just because of relation. you lack the set which men value most.

Comment

The problem I have with this is that it reminds me too much of Bill Clinton shooting 75 missiles at Osama bin Laden.
          http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

dp
            http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

This is copied from my PWS! Damn it Siro, did you leak this? I'll take it out of your pay man! Concentrate!
              In da butt.
              "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
              THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
              "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

you would kill a man at a funeral, and put innocent people at risk just because of relation. you lack the set which men value most.
                Spaceus, you think that the people who planned this were unprincipled. This may be true; yet you may not judge these people unless you were to also judge the actions of every single other government in the world in a similar manner, including yours, which has considered and done (and in the eyes of some, continues to do) things much worse than this plan.
                As such, either every country in the world has lost these values you speak of, or this is a case where things do not run as black and white as you imply.
                Also, consider the fact that Saddam supported at the time, and did until the downfall of his government, killed thousands-perhaps more than hundreds of thousands-perhaps even in the millions (as some of the interim government council suggest) of people. He did this with the knowledge of no doubt the large majority of the people who had attended this funeral, and no doubt this same large majority had comitted these acts, as Saddam had always preferred his Clan and family during his government and kept some of them in high positions.
                Last edited by Zevico; December 19, 2003, 08:31.
                "You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."--General Sir Charles James Napier

Comment

It takes time to reach the western press, I see. This was on the news in sunday, wasn't it?

anyway, the headline isn't precise. There was a plan to kill him. but it was far from certain to be executed.

I guess then you think that the US Army is a bunch of evil morons, right?
                  urgh.NSFW

Comment

Bramble Bush?! Ah... so it's "Siah Eted". I was certain it's "Sheikh Eted". Stupid newspapers.
                    "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

Sheikh Atad....
                      urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                        Like those bombs Israel uses in the Territories?
                        I knew someone would bring this up.

But seriously, you can't employ a super exclusive spec-ops team, just to kill a medium (when compared to saddam) target.

But not to be mistaken - Salah Shehadeh was responsible for over a 100 Israeli casualties who died as a result of terracts he directed.

IIRC the assumption was that the building he was in was empty.

It is my personal theory, that a 1 ton bomb charge was used, in order to send a message to Hamas. Saleh Shehadeh was recently responsible for a failed attempt to put a 1 ton bomb under one of Israel's new sky scrapers.

But getting back to facts - Israel later used only 500Kg (iirc) on Sheik Yassin, and failed to kill him. IIRC no one died in that attack. Only several injured.

Comment

This is old news, not only because it's more than 10 years old. Anyway, shooting live ammo when you are supposed to shoot blanks must automatically qualify for a Darwin award, right???

Not that I would complain about the mission, though.
                          So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
                          Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

Originally posted by Osweld

and just how, exactly, does the missle track a particular person?
                            I saw on TV that you can "paint" a person or object with a laser beam and then fire a specially-modified bullet which will go directly to the painted person or object.
                            Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost.

Comment

Originally posted by Azazel
                              It takes time to reach the western press, I see. This was on the news in sunday, wasn't it?

anyway, the headline isn't precise. There was a plan to kill him. but it was far from certain to be executed.
                              They only called it off because they ****ed up and killed 5 of themselves during training, or at least that was the impression given by the story I read a few days ago.

BTW, when was the last time a country assassinated another country's leader (that we have actual evidence of, please)?
                              12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                              Stadtluft Macht Frei
                              Killing it is the new killing it
                              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Emissions guidance for human tracking.

Comment

Working...
                                X