Asher computer question thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asher computer question thread

1. How can I print from the directory structure of Windows? I'm looking at a folder and its contents (sorta like in "My computer" and subfolders and such. And I want a hardcopy of the view of the directory structure.)

only if you tell me what TCO means. I know what GP is already, now tell tco.

Comment

If you want to simply print whats on the screen, just use Alt-PrintScreen with the directory on the screen. Then goto paint and use "PASTE" .. then print it.

If your a dos person (and care little for graphical display), then you can do DIR > PRN:

If you want a complete breakdown of just your directory structures, try this

dir /b /s *. > PRN:
      "Wherever wood floats, you will find the British" . Napoleon

Comment

The Viceroy:
        You don't even have to press ALT while pressing PrintScreen to achieve this effect. Printscreen alone does copy the whole display.
        "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
        "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
        "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

1. It's WinXP. Don't really want a DOS picture. I like the picture in My Computer or in Explorer or File Manager.

2. Why do I have to go to paint. Why can't I print out of that screen? Isn't the OS supposed to be well-thought out? Ergonomic? AHven't they been messing with it for decades? Is it such a strange thing to want to print a list of files?

Comment

Printscreen used to do just that, but that was in the days of text and word-processors. Now printsceen is some kind of graphic hence the need for a paint program.
            We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
            If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
            Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Andy. It's short for TCOM.
              The Cranky Old Man.
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor
                The Viceroy:
                You don't even have to press ALT while pressing PrintScreen to achieve this effect. Printscreen alone does copy the whole display.
                PrtScn --> copies the entire screen display
                Alt + PrtScn --> copies the display of the currently active window

So there is a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by TCO
                  Isn't the OS supposed to be well-thought out? Ergonomic? AHven't they been messing with it for decades?
                  No, that would be Linux

Windows s*cks when it comes to file management (among other things). Print-Scrn or a Dos Windows are pretty much your only options, though I wouldn't be surprised if there was some decent 3rd party software that could do it (I wonder if Norton Commander still exists...)
                  Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by The Viceroy
                    If you want to simply print whats on the screen, just use Alt-PrintScreen with the directory on the screen. Then goto paint and use "PASTE" .. then print it.

If your a dos person (and care little for graphical display), then you can do DIR > PRN:

If you want a complete breakdown of just your directory structures, try this

dir /b /s *. > PRN:
                    or to a file

dir /s *. > c:\directoryname\filename.txt
                    Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

Originally posted by Shogun Gunner

or to a file

dir /s *. > c:\directoryname\filename.txt
                      Why doesn't the OS allow me to print from Windows Explorer?

Comment

because no one needs to do that.
                        "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                        - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Because for 0.00000001% of the userbase that needs to print directory listings, that's what the command line is for.
                          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

ASHER SIGHTING!
                            "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                            - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

no. not true.

Comment

Working...
                              X