No announcement yet.

Mel Gibson's The Passion: "It Is As It Was."

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

most biblical scholars say that jesus was probably born sometime between 6-4 BC, he began his public ministry at the age of 30, and was crucified at the age of 33.
    -connorkimbro
    "We're losing the war on AIDS. And drugs. And poverty. And terror. But we sure took it to those Nazis. Man, those were the days."

-theonion.com

Comment

Since nobody knows for sure what year it was, if it happened, 34 BC is as good a guess as any!

KH FOR OWNER!
      ASHER FOR CEO!!
      GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Are we sure the Holy Father liked the movie? "It Is As It Was" can be taken both ways. It sounded to me like he was being ambiguous on purpose.
        "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
        "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
        2004 Presidential Candidate
        2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

perhaps he wanted to see a typical hollywood movie in which the facts are distorted.

Perhaps he wanted to see Jesus break free of the cross, and start kicking nazi and commie ass- or the equivalent they had in those days.

Comment

kicking nazi and commie ass- or the equivalent they had in those days.

Jews?

*runs*
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

It's almost always interesting to keep an eye on what's rocking the boat in the christian world. Almost always petty problems. If some people would like to believe that the pope for some reason, divine or not -"even with the challenges of his current illness has more good sense than many of his cardinals"- has the best ability to judge about what actually happened it's their problem. No one alive today was there and the remains are few. I'd say that no one can say that "It is as it was". For me, (outspoken atheist) it would seem like the exact knowledge of what happened in the physical world wouldn't be that important for believers.

The thinking of fundamentalists, for whom exact phrases and actions means so much is in a ironical way easy to show with a quote from the editorial above; "Mr. McEveety was marveling at what he felt was the oracular quality of the statement. 'Five words. Eleven letters.'". If the pope said those words I very much doubt that it was with eleven letters or even five words. He probably expressed his opinion in italian, latin or polish.

Comment

Working...
              X